Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
yeah this is what i'm talking about. developers. if i was a business or a developer, wouldn't bother making stuff for Apple devices at this point. time is money, and if i'm gonna pay someone or use my time to develop something apple might change their mind about, i'll take my efforts elsewhere.

Hmmm, looking at the App Store, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Exactly. I would pay $15 for Launcher, even though I am using Quick Tap currently, but it's still not as good as Launcher looked to be :(

I love Quick-tap but it has a few bugs and is missing a few features.
It does seem they are creating two great features (easily change the order of the actions, create your own icons) which Launcher also had. The features will be included in the new Quick-Tap version soon to be released and let's hope they fix the GPS refresh bug (sometimes the widget is blank).

I'm however very curious if this fix will be approved by Apple or if this means the end of Quick-Tap in the App Store if the website is official. It's not their official website.

What will it mean if Apple will approve this update? Can Cromulent Labs (Greg Gardner) from Launcher again submit their widget?

Launcher recently tried to submit Launcher Standalone app (without widget feature) again but was rejected (again). Although there is still Launch Center Pro in the App Store (app, not widget features) which is even recently featured by Apple and also others (Launch+, iLaunch Free) aside from the Quick-Tap widget, GestLaunch + Widget and Quickiee.

At least Apple is reversing it's policies. If they can do this then there is no telling on what it can mean for future apps.

What will happen then with Launcher, Paste+, TaptoShare, Favorites widget? These were all removed by Apple. When i read the blog posting from the developer of Launcher that chance seems very small.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
It does seem they are creating two great features (easily change the order of the actions, create your own icons) which Launcher also had. The features will be included in the new Quick-Tap version soon to be released and let's hope they fix the GPS refresh bug (sometimes the widget is blank).

I'm however very curious if this fix will be approved by Apple or if this means the end of Quick-Tap in the App Store if the website is official. It's not their official website.

What will it mean if Apple will approve this update? Can Cromulent Labs (Greg Gardner) from Launcher again submit their widget?

Launcher recently tried to submit Launcher Standalone app (without widget feature) again but was rejected (again). Although there is still Launch Center Pro in the App Store (app, not widget features) which is even recently featured by Apple and also others (Launch+, iLaunch Free) aside from the Quick-Tap widget, GestLaunch + Widget and Quickiee.

What will happen then with Launcher, Paste+, TaptoShare, Favorites widget? These were all removed by Apple. When i read the blog posting from the developer of Launcher that chance seems very small.

So they have submitted the update to Apple and are waiting upon approval? I certainly hope that the update is approved, because those new features will make the app quite a bit better.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
What will happen then with Launcher, Paste+, TaptoShare, Favorites widget? These were all removed by Apple.

Myself I'd very much like to see Paste+ come back, although with the new Workflows app it's much less necessary. Fortunately I bought it as part of the bundle before it was removed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Myself I'd very much like to see Paste+ come back, although with the new Workflows app it's much less necessary. Fortunately I bought it as part of the bundle before it was removed.

I don't know the exact details of features that Paste+ provides (or provided) but there are a few other clipboard type of apps with widgets that might still be around, like Clips or Heapo.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here's another app that Apple forced the developer to remove functionality only to later reverse course. It was a keyboard extension that also had a calculator. The developer was told that "completing calculations" was not an appropriate use of app extensions. WTF? Tim needs to put app review under someone who actually understands the features announced at WWDC. Obviously the current app review team doesn't.

http://www.cultofmac.com/306819/apple-forces-nintype-drop-one-ios-keyboards-signature-features/

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't see how it's easier to pull down the shade and scroll down to use partial functionality for apps like this. I keep Drafts in the dock or on the first screen, so it always seems faster and more efficient to use the app. I'm curious to hear how others use the widget context.

It's useful for quickly pasting copied content. For example, I can copy a selected piece of text from say, Safari, then pull down the notifications shade and paste the clipboard to a new note in Drafts using the widget. This launches the Drafts app as well.

Faster then switching to Drafts (either by first minimising to the home screen, or multitasking), and pasting the info in.

Note - I know you can share to Drafts from Safari using the share sheet extensions. You get my point. :D

I don't use this feature though, as I am using "Clips" app for clipboard management, but you do save a tap or two by using the widget.

----------

Exactly, why would anyone pay $10 for a text app when Notes is free with the phone.

Notes is "good enough" when all you need to do is take notes and keep them within the Notes app.

Draft's strength comes from the export actions you can take with the notes. For example, there are actions to export your notes as a list of reminders (I bought Drafts primarily for this purpose). You can create shortcuts to email them to a predetermined account, export as markdown, or even create custom workflows if you are adventurous enough.

It also comes with some nice touches, like launching with a new blank note so you are always ready to take a new note. :)

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Quick - Tap has been pulled from the app store

----------

Apple, you deserve nothing less than the middle finger

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Apple, you deserve nothing less than the middle finger

Do we actually know what happened with that app?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why did Apple introduce extensions if they're going to be so restrictive with use? None of these rejections/reversals so far seem to be security related.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why did Apple introduce extensions if they're going to be so restrictive with use? None of these rejections/reversals so far seem to be security related.

The same way Apple introduced apps and app reviews originally and had some back and forth review decisions in the earlier days. It's a process and new rules get refined and updated especially in their earlier days. Fairly normal and not unexpected part of the process.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The same way Apple introduced apps and app reviews originally and had some back and forth review decisions in the earlier days. It's a process and new rules get refined and updated especially in their earlier days. Fairly normal and not unexpected part of the process.

If this is normal than I think Cook needs to establish a new normal. Approving apps, rejecting them and then reversing the rejection is just embarrassing. It makes it look like Apple doesn't have its act together or different parts of the organization aren't working together. I thought Cook's Apple was all about collaboration.

I have this nervous feeling that some at Apple have this RDF thinking that no matter what developers will always develop iOS first so they can, in a sense, take advantage of developers and developers will just put up with it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If this is normal than I think Cook needs to establish a new normal. Approving apps, rejecting them and then reversing the rejection is just embarrassing. It makes it look like Apple doesn't have its act together or different parts of the organization aren't working together. I thought Cook's Apple was all about collaboration.

I have this nervous feeling that some at Apple have this RDF thinking that no matter what developers will always develop iOS first so they can, in a sense, take advantage of developers and developers will just put up with it.
Happened like that in the earlier days when guidelines were new and getting refined. As well as when something new would come around, like in this case. Hasn't been an embarrassment or some sort of a fail as the App Store and Apple and developers have been just fine and flourishing.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Happened like that in the earlier days when guidelines were new and getting refined. As well as when something new would come around, like in this case. Hasn't been an embarrassment or some sort of a fail as the App Store and Apple and developers have been just fine and flourishing.

Really? What's flourishing besides fremium apps? How many indie developers will tell you they're flouishing on the App Store?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apparently plenty given the growth of the store.

Seems to me the growth of the store is due more to candy crush like fremium apps. Look at the top grossing apps on the App Store. Most of them are fremium games.

fe40o4.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Games aren't the only thing in the store.

No but the top grossing apps appears to be mostly fremium games. So I'm skeptical about how well indie developers do on the App Store. I think they'd do better if App Store search wasn't so crappy and if developer guidelines weren't so opaque (which seems to be for the benefit of Apple, not developers). Don't give developers any reason to go Android first/only.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No but the top grossing apps appears to be mostly fremium games. So I'm skeptical about how well indie developers do on the App Store. I think they'd do better if App Store search wasn't so crappy and if developer guidelines weren't so opaque (which seems to be for the benefit of Apple, not developers). Don't give developers any reason to go Android first/only.

Do we even know if the majority of consumers are even USING search to begin with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.