Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's impossible to interpret the data without the y axis.
When looking at relative changes and/or trends, as is the case in these types of cases, you don't really need that information, so, no, not possible at all.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Well they said "Wish we could say more."

So if they think the Keynote is going to be a dud, then this gets read as "Darn, we really wish we had more to offer."

But if they think the Keynote will be great, then this gets read as, "We can barely contain ourselves and we wish we could talk about this stuff now."

I'm leaning toward the later.

I think it would be strange if Apple were to intentionally advertise a keynote implying "Sorry guys, we couldn't think of anything good...maybe next year...?"

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Actually...

Maybe we'll get iOS 8 sooner vs later. iOS 7 was mostly cosmetic, but iOS 8 seems to be focusing on actual features. Maybe they'll final fix some iOS 7 bugs like how my iPad gets stuck in one orientation.

iOS 7.0 was actually quite a big change under the hood from a developer stand point. There's a TON of new features and changes to APIs in there and stuff like support for 64-bit. Most of that hasn't changed in iOS 8 but new APIs were added but the core OS is not as drastic from iOS 7. So on the surface if seems like more, but they did a lot of work under the hood in iOS 7.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Seed us with the GM already, this last beta has been atrocious on my 5S and 5 (any 5 model I have has been killed with battery drain on iOS 8, tweaked everything from cellular to location and background refresh services). Had to throttle some back to iOS 7.1.2 and it's been perfect.

Handoff and Continuity were working flawlessly between my nMac Pro and 5S/iPad Air; since DP6, nada, and my system and devices are turned on and recognize each other. Plus, my '11 iMac that once had Handoff lost it in DP7. Nice.

seb101

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
When looking at relative changes and/or trends, as is the case in these types of cases, you don't really need that information, so, no, not possible at all.

Not true. The scale of the graph could be logarithmic or exponential, there is nothing to suggest that this is even a linear graph.

It is truly meaningless without at least a unit on the y-axis, and it's very poor journalism.

I suspect the numbers are actually very low, which is why the scale was omitted, it makes a better 'story' if people speculate. To me it looks like the smallest change is approximately one tenth of the major unit marker. So I interpret this to be about 20 'somethings' at it's peak.

Of course it doesn't even say that it is unique visits, so it could be one device visiting 20 pages. In fact, this could all be from one iPhone.

or.....

Oh my god, there are a million iPhones running iOS8 out there!
70ez9j.png

Last edited:

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008

The graph is just a visual reiteration of the statement

"MacRumors has seen a significant increase in iOS 8.0.1 web log activity coming from Apple's networks over the past couple of weeks, although the first signs of the version appeared as long ago as mid-July"

and without the y-axis it provides no significant information above and beyond that, so it's just visual padding.

GregJA

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
I have an odd feeling that maybe the next beta includes hints or features for the new devices, so they are holding back till Tuesday's reveal :p

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Why wouldn't they add whatever code that fixes the bug in iOS 8.0.1 to iOS 8? It hasn't reach GM yet, has it?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Why wouldn't they add whatever code that fixes the bug in iOS 8.0.1 to iOS 8? It hasn't reach GM yet, has it?

Yes it most likely has. I don't know how long it takes to load the GM on the millions of launch day iPhones. But I suspect they've already started that and packaging them.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA

It could be that 8.0 is mature enough and has only class 4 or 5 bugs (typographical errors and/or non-critical bugs to the operation of the software, using an SDLC at a company I worked at... Class 1-software crashes and will not run, class 2-software loads, but will not run to expectations, or crashes after loading, class 3- software will run, but functions are limited, or crashes when a certain sequence of operations by user or external input, class 4 typographical or UI errors, class 5-process improvements.

The main reason for not adding it in is he cost of a release and the nature of the bugs. I don't know how apple does their releases, but, in general, most companies that I've worked at make sure that everyone's code is checked in, documented, and is tested before it is released.

If I said that I had a piece of equipment that had 3 billion parts, and one of them could make it inoperable, most people would be amazed that it works, yet, with software, if it's not working 100% of the time, people generally scream that it's a piece of garbage.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'm almost wondering if we will see iOS 8 actually launch after the keynote on the 9th. Generally they just put out the Golden Master, but I'm predicting they'll actually launch it on the 9th.

I hope not unles the GM is released a week earlier to the devs.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I'm almost wondering if we will see iOS 8 actually launch after the keynote on the 9th. Generally they just put out the Golden Master, but I'm predicting they'll actually launch it on the 9th.

Boy, they better have the networks ready...every year there's more and more iThingy's to overload it all - initial release access last year was somewhat troublesome for alot of people.

kramerdude

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
iOS mail

I just wish ios could finally get push/syncd email. If I read/delete email on one device or in icloud, it shouldn't still show new emails on the other devices. I can open mail, and then it adjusts, but you would think it would react to all sources via push. This has always seemed so annoying.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I hope they release iOS 8 next Tuesday shortly after the keynote ends and follow the trend they started with Mavericks last October.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Well, I guess I'm a noob that doesn't want to have to wait a few days for one tweak to be updated to work along side another tweak without crashing. And when I was jailbroken, this was a common occurrence.

so you'd rather have no tweaks at all than just remove the offending tweak? fair enough, but I don't chop my head off when I get a cold. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.