Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sined13

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
They're only CALLED apps because Apple started calling them apps when they started their app store.

The word "app" (referring to computer applications) has existed since (edit: around) 1979.

Google has also existed for some time...try using it before posting.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There's no customer confusion or loss of revenues with app store being generic.

iDevices can't run any apps sold by Amazon and vice-versa.

And most people know where to find THEIR apps. Those who don't - only have to "try" once and see that they're in the wrong place and problem solved.

I don't blame Apple for trying to corner the market with the name trademark. I just think it's only going to benefit trademark and IP lawyers.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I have to say I kinda understand both sides... It is true that it is somewhat generic but it was thanks to Apple that the term became so widely used and given all the marking Apple put behind it their concern over this is understandable...

I understand what you're saying too, but Apple kind of got them self in this mess by naming a store so generically. Program names like iTunes or features like Genius are pretty unique and would be cause for infringement if the names were used by another entity. I like Apple products, but they need to let this go. If anything, they're showing how anal they can be and it's not sitting well with some of the public.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I don't understand why some people find this so difficult to understand.

Apple's not fighting for people to not call mobile applications "apps".

What they're doing is claiming that "App Store" denotes a particular experience (quality, ease, design, etc) and brand tie -- in people's minds "AppStore" brings to mind Apple and iPhones.

They've been using this name and mark for years now (you know the "avail in the App Store" badges we've grown accustomed to seeing? The ones that tell us immediately it's an app we can get for the iPhone?), and the claim is that if other companies start using "Appstore", or some variation thereof, it will create brand confusion for customers.

Frankly, they're right. It will cause confusion.

Now perhaps some people think this is just too bad, and Apple should rebrand as "Apple App Store" or something of that nature. That's a fine position to have, but to claim that Apple's concerns are unwarranted is kinda ridiculous.

Larry's Burgers kinda sounds like Barry's Burgers. Sue him Larry!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
They're only CALLED apps because Apple started calling them apps when they started their app store.

Before that they were called APPLICATIONS (or even, dare I say it? PROGRAMS).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to clean my xerox with a kleenex so I can ebay a copy of my jeep. When I'm done I'll hoover the floor.

FAIL

Ref: Handmark App Store
Ref: Java App
Ref: Windows App (in Explorer)

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Larry's Burgers kinda sounds like Barry's Burgers. Sue him Larry!

Actually, the correct analogy would be:

Larry's Burgers

being a successful nationwide chain, and then another dude named Larry opening up

Larry'sBurgers

Would that cause customer confusion? You tell me.

orangepeel

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
uggg, so stupid. At this point I hope apple farmers get together and sue apple computers.

Owing apple products is starting to embarrass me.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Larry's Burgers

being a successful nationwide chain, and then another dude named Larry opening up

Larry'sBurgers

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but Apple doesn't yet actually HAVE the trademark. They've simply filed for it. They are now (as are others) jockeying for control of that trademark.

So the analogy doesn't work. Unless Larry's trademark is currently under review and isn't owned.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
I'm tired of every no-account, ethics free, innovation-incapable company just ripping off apple's work and getting away with it.

Apple didn't coin the term "store", but they did coin the term "app".

App is a legitimate trademark.

Amazon needs to lose here.

"app" has never been a generic term. It was never used until apple coined it. And they aren't "copyrighting" it, which you can't do, they are trademarking it, and using this form of IP correctly.

It is really sad to see so many people so ready to believe that Apple is some big bad company without ethics.

Apple plays by the rules. Amazon, however, for instance, is a reprehensible company that abuses and defrauds its employees, has no regard for its customers, and bullies everyone in the business. Of course people outside the business have a completely different perception because they've never had to deal with amazon.

"App" is not even a word that exists in the dictionary.

Do you guys even think about what you're saying?

I have to jump in here, as this is not the first thread I've read while lurking here where people have posted this. Look, I don't know if you guys never poked your heads out of the Apple world or are just too young to remember, but people were talking about "killer apps", using "app" as a short form of "application" over a decade ago, long before iPhones were being seriously planned, let alone allowed to download applications.

For example, here's a book with "app" in the title from 1998:
http://www.amazon.com/Unleashing-Killer-App-Strategies-Dominance/dp/1578512611

And oh look, an Xbox game from 2004 with "app" in the title:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/562/562809p1.html

And to round it off, here's a post from this very forum of someone using "app" to refer to an application on an Xbox in 2004, three years before the iPhone was released:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/73571/

Now can we finally bury this nonsense about the word "app" being invented by Apple? :rolleyes:

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009

Larry's Burgers

Larry'sBurgers

You mean "App Store" and "Amazon Appstore"? Let's test it...

I just purchased "Angry Birds" on Amazon Appstore. Which of these two companies just received my payment?

A: Apple
B: Amazon

Confused?

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Christ, not this again.. App is a generic term, just because no one cared to use word "App" in such magnitude before, doesn't mean Apple can trademark it.

Only an idiot can confuse Apple's App Store with Amazon's App store, I don't even understand how this excuse can fly in a court room. Enough is enough. App is short for Application, we all know that. Do you see anyone suing anyone for using word "Auto" as in Auto showroom or Auto magazine? No, because Auto is a generic term, same as App.

"app" has never been a generic term. It was never used until apple coined it. And they aren't "copyrighting" it, which you can't do, they are trademarking it, and using this form of IP correctly.

It is really sad to see so many people so ready to believe that Apple is some big bad company without ethics.

Apple plays by the rules. Amazon, however, for instance, is a reprehensible company that abuses and defrauds its employees, has no regard for its customers, and bullies everyone in the business. Of course people outside the business have a completely different perception because they've never had to deal with amazon.

How much is Apple paying you?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

The fact that "App" has been used for 30 years....

Psion came up with "Netbook" back in 1999, however, the term Netbook became popular and generic which meant Psion lost its attempt to trademark the word.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The word "app" (referring to computer applications) has existed since (edit: around) 1979.

Google has also existed for some time...try using it before posting.

It wasn't part of the lexicon of society as a whole though.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Steve Jobs and Tim Cook - both publicly have referred to App Store in a generic sense..

IE “So there will be at least four app stores on Android, which customers must search among to find the app they want and developers will need to work with to distribute their apps and get paid. This is going to be a mess for both users and developers. Contrast this with Apple’s integrated App Store, which offers users the easiest-to-use largest app store in the world, preloaded on every iPhone.” - Steve Jobs

Not much of a leg to stand on when you're using the term generically yourself.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

I just purchased "Angry Birds" on Amazon Appstore. Which of these two companies just received my payment?

Confused?

I am, so you gave your money to an apple or you sent it off to the amazon? Why would you do that? :rolleyes:

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but Apple doesn't yet actually HAVE the trademark. They've simply filed for it. They are now (as are others) jockeying for control of that trademark.

So the analogy doesn't work. Unless Larry's trademark is currently under review and isn't owned.

Apple applied for it in 2008 and were granted the trademark this year.

In any case, that's immaterial to the question of whether customer confusion is a valid concern or not, which is what I was addressing with my prior comment. I think the issues are split -- whether such concerns are valid, and whether that is enough to warrant companies trademarking such terms, etc.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Steve Jobs and Tim Cook - both publicly have referred to App Store in a generic sense..

IE “So there will be at least four app stores on Android, which customers must search among to find the app they want and developers will need to work with to distribute their apps and get paid. This is going to be a mess for both users and developers. Contrast this with Apple’s integrated App Store, which offers users the easiest-to-use largest app store in the world, preloaded on every iPhone.”

Not much of a leg to stand on when you're using the term generically yourself.

Attorney do get bored also. I am more on this not been a CEO issue as something for the attorneys to do. :eek:

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006

Confused?

Let's try another game. My friend asks, "Hey where did you get that cool game?" I say "From the app store."

Which one do I mean?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Attachments

• Apple App Store vs other stores.jpg
    Apple App Store vs other stores.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 159

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Let's try another game. My friend asks, "Hey where did you get that cool game?" I say "From the app store."

Which one do I mean?

Lets go even one further! My friend says, "where did you get that game?" I say "From the store."

Holy crap, nothing should be called store anymore! It's too confusing!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I remember once Apple sued Psystar for selling Hackintoshes and Psystar desperately accused Apple of not owning the Mac OS X copyright. Some similarities there, huh?

Oh by the way, 1-click is generic enough, Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.