Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrhone

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
You guys are VERY short sighted...

THIS version of the iPhone is only ONE version....there will be more versions...also its an iPod Video AND phone....I spent $350 for my Blackberry without any audio capabilities....if the iPhone does what that does AND plays video and audio, then add another $150 for that..IF YOU WANT IT...I say that because I GUARANTEE there will be a cheaper, stripped down verion without a phone and without so much memory and no camera. This will be priced DIRECTLY to compete with the blackberry....for the more "corporate" people...I bet there will be unlocked versions for otehr carriers as well...this ALWAYS happens....Blackberry makes the same phone for like 5 different carriers...so why cant Apple? I bet we see differet versions for different carriers...although I dont really care since I do have Cingular...lol...Within the next 4 months, we will see how it will all shake out.

DrFrankTM

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Japan
iCum? Hmmm... No, just no.

just a couple comments

1. Why do they want to call it an iPhone anyway?

It's branding should better reflect the multifunction device they are marketing. iComm?

Apple wants "Phone" in the name because they want to eat from the cellphone pie rather than from the PDA/UMPC pie (which is much much much smaller). It's not about what the phone can do - of course! it is much more than a phone!!! It's all about the market Apple is going after. And how they market the phone is key to the number of people who will tell themselves: "Hey! This thing is for me!" If Apple chose to market it as some kind of PDA, UMPC or smartphone (rather than just a well-designed "phone"), then a lot of people would say "This thing is too complicated/too fancy for me" and would exclude themselves from the potential consumer pool.

As for your "iComm" suggestion, I hope it was a joke... Until Apple starts making dildos, I doubt we'll see any Apple product with a name like that.

One more thing... ;-) How about those 32GB Samsung flash drives? The technology even seems to allow for 64GB drives!!!
http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20060911_0000286548
As of now, these memory cards are not commercially viable options for the iPhone, but I'm pretty sure some do-it-yourself-ers will eventually try to open their iPhone and put some beefier memory cards in there. What do you think? It has been done with the nano before, right? I'm tempted myself, but I don't think any GSM phone works in South Korea where I am working now. (South Korea is one of the few places on Earth to use a CDMA network.) Oh! Well...

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
This is gonna be a fun battle between Cisco and Apple. I guess that in the end, Apple will have lots of free press in the media and the the iPhone name anyway.

Exactly, the press is doing them no harm. Just like when Cisco used the name everyone was expecting Apple to use, there was no focus on the new products but instead disappointment that the whole rumor mill had been wrong and that there might not be an Apple Phone. They knew when they released information about iTV that it could never be called that, especially in the UK, because one of the four big broadcasters is called ITV. I think that really what Apple are doing is creating an association between the Apple symbol and the i in iPod, iPhone, iTV, etc. Notice how the Apple symbol resembles an i on the Apple TV box. All of their products could now switch to this symbol - Apple Mac instead of iMac, etc.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
?

People are also forgetting, THE PHONE HASN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET!!! It's still a prototype. Everyone's getting their panties in a bunch over this thing. Stop tripping people, relaaaaaaaxxxx, and enjoy the ride. It seems to me most people are complaining because they actually can't afford the phone so they're looking for other ways in justifying their frustration. Build a bridge, get over it. I for one won't be making any judgment calls until a month after its release. In the mean time, chill out homies. Sheesh.:cool:

Do you really think it's going to change between now and release? Once it is submitted for FCC approval (which I'm sure has already happened, because it takes months, and then manufacturing still has to ramp up all in time for June) the hardware can't be changed.

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
iFone

It comes down to VOIP. Something that I'm 3000% certain Cingular is not only opposed to, but would rather lop off their their collective wang to avoid.
So what do we have here? Apple doing thy bidding my master. Until 2009 Apple is Cingular's *cough* "friend". The more I read about the iPhone the more I want to throw-up. Apple is selling their soul to get in on this market. Think Different? More like Think Corporate.
pukeface.gif

Surely all Apple have to do is register iFone, iHandy (for the german market)
iTalk for the eastern markets etc which will help all the specific market penetrations:D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
WHOA! Why are people from Asia Complaning

I remember a lot of people complaining about the iPhone not going overseas for a while. I don't see what the big deal was then, and especially not now. The iPhone is not what a lot of us expected it to be (except for the tech that went into it that blew us away! ) and there are plenty of new phone coming out this year that are only going to be available OVERSEAS.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
THIS version of the iPhone is only ONE version....there will be more versions...also its an iPod Video AND phone....I spent $350 for my Blackberry without any audio capabilities....if the iPhone does what that does AND plays video and audio, then add another $150 for that..IF YOU WANT IT...I say that because I GUARANTEE there will be a cheaper, stripped down verion without a phone and without so much memory and no camera. This will be priced DIRECTLY to compete with the blackberry....for the more "corporate" people...I bet there will be unlocked versions for otehr carriers as well...this ALWAYS happens....Blackberry makes the same phone for like 5 different carriers...so why cant Apple? I bet we see differet versions for different carriers...although I dont really care since I do have Cingular...lol...Within the next 4 months, we will see how it will all shake out.

You lucky stiff.... naw just kidding. :D

It's good that you have Cingular, I am jealous :( Not trying to switch just yet. I hope that Apple does anounce an unlocked version of the iPhone or compatibility with other service providers, especially Sprint and Verizon. But we shall see. If they can't do it then I will be waiting for the iPhone for another year or so after it comes out or I will be getting a different phone altogether.

I have been waiting for a new phone for almost 3 years. It is time to upgrade. :D

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Do you really think it's going to change between now and release? Once it is submitted for FCC approval (which I'm sure has already happened, because it takes months, and then manufacturing still has to ramp up all in time for June) the hardware can't be changed.

Not true. Once a phone has been approved by the FCC, as long as the main phone componets are roughly the same, software and other non-hardware phone related mechanisms may be altered. :p

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its not exactly easy is it? Its not what Apple had in mind.

Obviously I have much different concept to user replacement than you.

User replaceable to me means I don't have to search the net to find instructions to do so. It should be pretty bloody simple! :)

I do know HTML, CSS, Javascript but iWeb is still too far too basic. I was hoping Apple would provide something a bit more flexible. I want to create my own iWeb template to look like my existing website so I can edit / add content easier. I don't want to have to use HTML all the time. Instead I'll keep on using JAlbum.

BTW, I do like iPhoto tho.

The iPod DOES have a user replaceable battery... IF you are clever enough to replace it yourself. I like how you worded that. batteries are available anywhere... you just need to open your ipod up. there are websites all over telling you how.

iLife applications are not meant to be Professional grade products... if iweb is too basic for you.. learn HTML, Flash and Java, and write your own page... you're right, it really isnt that hard to make a web page.

and you're right garageband hardly has any editing abilities... oh but then again... its simply a stripped down version of Logic that comes free with your mac. and somehow, I still use it from time to time even though I have logic pro.

thank god iphoto isnt anymore complicated... a dumb simple photo program that works everytime is all I'll ever need.

you do have a point with the one button mouse... though, Ive gotten by for years with out buying a two button one.

Anyway, to get back on topic, yes... er, the iPhone....!

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
where is everyone getting the "battery cannot be changed" thing from.. Was that mentioned in the keynote? is there anything on the website about it? maybe it is true, but alot of people are just going crazy about this product when it has not been released.. there are many months until it will be released.. things can change between now and then..

as for cingular and two year contract.. how many skype phones are sold a year? how many cell phones are sold a year?

Personally I do not like skype.. It is written by the kazaa people and frankly I think that kazaa made a ton of money selling ads to people that they enabled questionable transfer of copywritten material. skype is a proprietary protocol. I would rather see more use of sip and h323 for voip and less private protocols.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Interesting to see several full page ads for 'Smart' phones this weekend showing them reduced from $500-600 or more down to $199 or less... perhaps the iPhone rivals are worried...?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Interesting to see several full page ads for 'Smart' phones this weekend showing them reduced from $500-600 or more down to $199 or less... perhaps the iPhone rivals are worried...?

I think many of us are a bit worried. If it doesn't change by the time it comes out then it won't be as desirable as many of us want it to be..

Even though I was excited when I first saw the thing, and I was ready to pay all the money in the world to switch service providers and get Cingular... The phone isn't looking like the "One Device for All" thing that I was looking for. It is still the closest thing out there, nothing will ever come as close to the device of my dreams, but I have to go through hell to get it... and that isn't worth it to me.

I would have to pay Sprint arond $250 to cancel my contract, then pay Cingular $600 to get the phone (8GB of course :D ) plus anything else they want to tac on for a new contract, and at least $160 for the first two months service bill. That is close to a GRAND :mad:

Not to mention that I HAVE to get the service AND data plans... there is no option for just the phone service... you have to have both.

NOW PUT TAXES ON THAT!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And this is not including the things certain people will need right away! I may be able to wait for future updates but I am sure that many can not. We will have to wait, and will patiently wait, for the next iPhone... hopefully it is unlocked or compatible with Sprint and Verizon. :)

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
As for your "iComm" suggestion, I hope it was a joke... Until Apple starts making dildos, I doubt we'll see any Apple product with a name like that.

Love it! :D Apple ditched the "computer" in the brand name, so everything is possible now. The dildo market has not seen much innovation lately, it's time Apple comes with a revolutionary product. I'll think about kinky words, put an "i" in front of them and trademark the hell out of it. :p

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
lol, frankly, apple could call it "My Mother's Left Pinky" and I'd still buy. I don't care what it's called. And besides, what does it really matter to me after I've bought it. I'll most like just refer to it as "my phone" anyways. Sheesh.

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
i think apple may have a chance here... looks like cisco applied for renewal at the last minute i.e. during the final days of extension period, not even regular 5 year period and that too for their VoIP products that they branded as iPhone in december, not in May. They were called simply Linksys VoIP phones back then. So apple can argue for cancellation of the trademark based upon their lack of interest in perusal of that trademark until they saw gold with apple's future phone product that apple wanted to label iPhone. Also cisco never sued for infringement with other iPhone branded VoIP products on market.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
What's with people treating Cisco like some two-bit operation?
Maybe because the introduction of the Cisco iPhone was a two-bit tactic?

To sit on a trademark until it expires, then request an extension, and finally at the 11th hour just before the extension expires, to put a sticker on the box of a previously existing product, call a news conference, and introduce it as the iPhone, as if it is a new product, clearly shows contempt for the spirit of trademark law. ("Of course we needed to give it a new name, it's a completely different product - didn't you see the sticker we stuck onto the outside of the box so you could tell that what's inside the box isn't what it was twenty minutes ago?"). Clearly, Cisco panicked as the extension deadline approached, not having an appropriate new product to call the iPhone in order to maintain the trademark, so it just stuck the label onto the most likely pre-existing candidate and called a news conference to complete the illusion that a new product was actually being announced.

It is also interesting that Cisco showed no interest in protecting the iPhone name until rumors about the Apple iPhone reached a fever pitch. It certainly gave the appearance that Cisco was simply out to make a quick buck or two (or maybe even a cool billion) off the hype surrounding Apple's phone.

It should be an interesting court case, although not necessarily a long one...

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
I think there are things that people haven't brought up in this thread, that may change some people's view on the iPhone...

1) As some have pointed out, we shouldn't jump into conclusions yet, as the actual product is not shipping yet. Also, so far there are no words on Cingular's pricing on phone plans. Why is everybody bitching about how expensive it will be? Personally, I don't think it can be that much worse than the data plan for Motorola Q from Verizon.

2) The price of iPhone is probably just a MSRP. Since it is sold as a cell phone, you will most likely be able to get it for a cheaper price, from places like Chinatown. From what I know, cell phone stores earn commission fee from the providers for each phone plan they sell. So the stores in Chinatown often take money out of their commission, so they can sell the phones with phone plans for cheaper. The way they see it, is by doing so they can sell more phones and phone plans, which will let them earn more in the long run. So let's hope we can see a significant "discount" in those places when the phone is out...

3) Since iPhone will be exclusive with Cingular for the coming 2 years, there are 2 years for others like T-Mobile and Sprint to approach Apple, provide more options/features that Cingular isn't offering to the "current" iPhone users. If what they offer to Apple is much better than Cingular, then we may see Apple switch provider in 2 years, after the contract expires. By then, it will be about time for a new version of OSX to come out, which can pack even more features, and the iPhone at that time will have much better specs...

Lastly, I think iPhone is a great product, I like how it looks, and have no problems with its pricing (for now). But I probably won't get it this year...

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Also, so far there are no words on Cingular's pricing on phone plans. Why is everybody bitching about how expensive it will be?

Strongly agree. The data plan is the most important part of the price, not the phone, I also don't know why people keep complaining about the price. As an overly exaggerated example, if the plans for these phones are 15/month with unlimited data, I wouldn't care if the phone cost 900 dollars, it'd still be a bargain.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
Why exactly is this thing called the iPhone anyway?

Should we expect Apple to rename the Mac the "iComputer" and the iPod the "iPlayer" soon? (Even their software packages, which use words that are closer to function, aren't quite as blatant. It's "iMovie", not "iEditor", it's "iTunes", not "iManager". Following the same logic as both, the iPhone should have been called the iCall, iConversation, iConnection, or something like that.)

The only things I can think of are:

1. Cringely's right about it being a big conspiracy to generate publicity (The first two words of this answer would suggest that it cannot possibly be true.)
2. A Chronic Lack of imagination at Apple (seems unlikely)
3. Because everyone was already calling it the iPhone, and Apple felt that as such, the name had already been picked.

iPie

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
Whatever the outcome, iTV and Iphone will not find an iHome here (not that the Iphone is for sale in Europe yet, but when it does go on sale, it probably will go for at least as much as a Mini or maybe iMac).

As much as I love my MacBook, Mini, and Nano, I don't really like Apple's new products; I don't mind paying a premium for something that really adds value to 'I'.

iTV looks like an underspec'd, overpriced piece of junk. And what 'I' am looking for is cheaper telecommunications, not a more expensive way to communicate - I hope Skype launches the sPhone:)

If course that is just me

PS Do you think I could trademark my name? I could make it more general, like iBakedGoods instead of iPie!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
iMobile

I honestly don't know why they branded it "iPhone". If it's an iPod, mobile phone and communicator, wouldn't "iMobile" be a better name? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.