Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
There's only one problem with this open letter: the wrong companies are making this request.

Here's the reason why: many suspect that the NSA has tapped directly into the Internet backbone lines owned by the likes of AT&T, Level 3, Sprint and Verizon. As such, they are essentially "scooping up" all the Internet traffic without having to access the servers at AOL, Apple, Facebook, Google, Linkedin, Microsoft and Twitter and using NSA's gigantic complex of supercomputers to analyze all the data. Now, if the Internet backbone companies were signatories to this request, THEN I'll take this letter much more seriously.

You make an excellent point. All of these companies say they don't allow "Direct" access to their servers...that definitely leaves out "Indirect" access. Take Apple for example. They don't even have/run all of their own servers...they outsource it to Microsoft Azure and Amazon servers, among others.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm all ears, what do you propose? The only power we really have is our money. The only thing we can do is stop paying the corporations that own our government. Ask yourself, can you live without a cell phone? How about cable tv? Internet? Maybe you can stop paying for gasoline by riding a bike. Too many Americans say they are upset but aren't willing to give up the things that enable this nonsense in the first place.

Unfortunately this letter will fall on deaf ears. The NSA will never go away and they will never be reigned back via regulation. There are very rich people with a lot of power who depend greatly on the spying power they spent so long creating. Until citizen united (which has nothing to do with citizens being united by the way) is overturned and it is made illegal to give ANY money to politicians then problems like this will not go away.

I ditched cable TV entirely because of their rates. I get my local stations for free. I proposed TWC what I feel is a good price per value and they could not match it, so I said goodbye. I also ditched home internet because I have my data through my cell provider. I can get free wifi at most places now as it is, including work which I stay an extra hour longer for personal reasons.

I moved closer to my job to save fuel expenses. I also carpool 3x a week. I got rid of my 'toy' car and downgraded my daily driver to pay less property tax yearly on my vehicles. I paid the car in full to avoid interest payments.

I now am able to save an extra 17,200 per year because of the lifestyle changes I've made and I'm more than happier.

Most people don't understand what $17000 is like as majority live in debt. I put half away for my retirement and the other half I enjoy upscale vacations 3 times a year.

I will gladly help a company that tries to be consumer friendly than one that is not. I stopped being brand loyal.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I ditched cable TV entirely because of their rates. I get my local stations for free. I proposed TWC what I feel is a good price per value and they could not match it, so I said goodbye. I also ditched home internet because I have my data through my cell provider. I can get free wifi at most places now as it is, including work which I stay an extra hour longer for personal reasons.

I moved closer to my job to save fuel expenses. I also carpool 3x a week. I got rid of my 'toy' car and downgraded my daily driver to pay less property tax yearly on my vehicles. I paid the car in full to avoid interest payments.

I now am able to save an extra 17,200 per year because of the lifestyle changes I've made and I'm more than happier.

Most people don't understand what $17000 is like as majority live in debt. I put half away for my retirement and the other half I enjoy upscale vacations 3 times a year.

I will gladly help a company that tries to be consumer friendly than one that is not. I stopped being brand loyal.

You are doing exactly the right thing. If more people thought and acted like you, companies would start listening. I also sold my toy car but for other personal reasons and I have found that life goes on just fine without. I applaud you for thinking responsibly.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
You are doing exactly the right thing. If more people thought and acted like you, companies would start listening. I also sold my toy car but for other personal reasons and I have found that life goes on just fine without. I applaud you for thinking responsibly.

Yup. Looking back, if I was as wise now back then, I could be driving a half-million dollar sports car paid in cash with the money I wasted buying toy cars, paying interest, etc..

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Great. These companies just made it onto the government's $hiit list. Glad to see someone taking a stand but I'm also a believer in that if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide.

True. But just because I know I'm keeping a neat and clean home doesn't mean I'll have an Open House for Public Health officials to come in as they please.

Good one. I also agree.

I have a cheap one way ticket to North Korea to sell, if you're interested. :rolleyes:

You guys really need to rein your government in, they are behaving like deranged cartoon bond villains. Check out their new logo...

Thanks but no thanks :)

Quick...get this individuals GPS information from his vehicle. Anytime he's gone over the speed limit, let's issue him a ticket. Or, every time he has failed to come to a COMPLETE STOP at a stop sign, let's give him a ticket too. He claims he has nothing to hide so this shouldn't be a problem if we just double check, right?

You would be surprised (and proud) at how much I respect my local traffic laws. I follow the law by the little driving booklet I was given when I was 15 and try keeping a current copy with me to freshen up on my local driving laws every year. (No kidding)

If we can no longer have anything to hide, we are also leaving the power to know ourselves to others, and that can be a serious problem for as long as there are mere humans in hold of this power.

It's a tricky stance. The people rely on the government AND don't want to rely on the government. Where does that fine line begin/end?

I may have a different definition of wrong than the government. Marijuana is the biggest example.

No comment…

But what if the law changes? Your right to congregate is reformed? Religious beliefs, or lack thereof, become "wrong"? Suddenly, what your legally doing now becomes a problem.

You are correct but what would stop them from changing a law that was once a law that the people voted on and a law that specifically bars/prevents the govt. from changing it? I've seen this happening all day everyday with the Affordable Health Care. Not trying to bring up a sore subject by goodness, I've never seen a law "revised" so many times without the people's input and apparently it's all legal. (just an example)

You have everything to hide because the government has no authority to look into your dealings without specific credible evidence that you are suspected of a crime. All of this blanket surveillance is completely wrong and is not justifiable because the possibility that there could be some terrorist information that found. Terrorism is a threat, but it is not a big enough of a threat to justify the attention and budget it has been getting. Our "transparent" government needs to be reigned in big time.

Well said. Good points.

Thanks for sharing.

Tech companies are mad that the Gub'ment is muscling in on their territory. Google already had dibs on the rights to spy on me.:rolleyes: I've got a fake Facebook account, so all they're getting out of me is made up garbage. Hey, thats pretty much what they get out of a real FB user.

You bring up an interesting point. Companies such as Google and Facebook already have access to your information. Hello, they can even identify you in a photo that someone took and posted from around the world (great technology that's also extremely scary at the same time.) It seems some-what odd when the criminal is asking other criminals to stop doing what they're doing.

And just to clear things up: My comments weren't aimed at saying the govt. should have full control and full access to every thing in our lives. I just feel like there are some people who are overly paranoid and think the govt. has lasers pointed at their heads 24/7.

We would like to stop the govt and other big companies from accessing our information without our consent but do we REALLY think we can stop them? Many of you have mentioned that the govt will do what they want to no matter WHAT we say or do, so in that perspective, just make sure you're a standing citizen.

And while we're at it: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/go...arcraft-in-search-of-terrorists/1100-6416610/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.