Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Samsung Electronics is singificantly more than just their phones.

a list of products
Display Technologies for Mobile and Television. Worlds largest AMOLED display manufacturer. First flexible display manufacturer. Also provides display technologies to a giant marketshare of the laptop and PC industry. They are also believe it or not, one of the primary display manufacturers of Apple products

Mobile Phone devision... we all know about it.

SemiConductors - From RAM, CPUs, Chipsets, Flash drives, SSD drives, NAND storage.

Televisions - Not just the display panels, but the entire electronics and workings.

Cameras - A wide range of point and shoot and entry level SLR's

When it comes to Market Share of their products? They lead in DRAM, NAND Flash, Large size LCD panels. AMOLED, LCD monitors, Televisions, Mobile phones.

If Apple left completely from using Samsung, besides the hurt it would do us as apple consumers from using sub-quality parts, Samsung would only lose an estimated 2.6% of their revenues in this division.

Their electronics division is only one of dozens of divisions, not including other subsidiaries.

So? mind providing a citation to your "76%".

Apple is a small player in comparison to Samsung as a whole, nevermind Electronics.

Apple invested $150 million in Samsung in 1997 in order to get cheaper LCDs into their computers. That's how Samsung came to be Apple's primary display provider.

As for 76%, that poster may have meant profits, not revenues, as Samsung Mobile makes most of Samsung's profits.

"Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (Korean: 삼성전자; Hanja: 三星電子) is a South Korean multinational electronics company headquartered in Suwon, South Korea.[2] It is the flagship subsidiary of the Samsung Group, amounting to 70% of the group's revenue in 2012,[3] and has been the world's largest information technology company by revenues since 2009."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Electronics

Samsung Electronics revenue in 2013 was $221 Billion. As a whole, Samsung Group's 2013 revenue numbers were $327 Billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Group

Also - here's a Yahoo story in which its stated that mobile made up approximately 70% of Samsung's revenue but that took a hit last year (down to 60%)...it doesn't state that number in relation to Samsung Electronics, but that would make the most sense.

Suffice it to say, the health of mobile has a HUGE impact on the overall company. But they are a far cry from dead and buried.

Apple's 2013 numbers below (for poops and giggles):

Total Revenue = $170.91 Billion
iPhone revenue = Roughly 52% of Apple's total revenue ($88.87 Billion)

Wikipedia and Google are your friends.

Last edited:

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Both companies copy each other, but Apple hasn't had any really innovative features in the iPhone for a few years now.

Bottom line is without companies like Samsung, there would be no forward momentum in the cell phone industry.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Both companies copy each other, but Apple hasn't had any really innovative features in the iPhone for a few years now.

Bottom line is without companies like Samsung, there would be no forward momentum in the cell phone industry.

TouchID, 64-bit processors, Continuity....

Troll harder.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
That's funny. Copying Samsung?? ha ha. Samsung is a master of all masters when it comes to copying.

No that would be apple. You're blind if you can't see that.

Apple copies EVERYTHING and they copy it LATE!

Name 5 ORIGINAL functionalities that have been stolen from Apple?

You can't, because apple copies everyone else.

Fingerprint scanner
Pull down menus
Widgets
Video calling
Taking pictures whole shooting video
Front facing cameras
Voice assistant

NONE of this debuted on an apple product.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Tim Cook: Boo, we've got to put an end to these suits.
Boo-Keun Yoon: Yeah, I agree. Thanks to these Legal Fees we could be out of business in 2 more years.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Fingerprint scanner
Pull down menus
Widgets
Video calling
Front facing cameras
Voice assistant

You mention these as if every implementation is exactly the same.....truth is, I could put out a crappy fingerprint scanner that's never used and doesn't disrupt a market at all. I shouldn't get any credit for doing anything innovative.

Like it or not, Apple may not have been "first" but they certainly didn't "copy" things like TouchID or Continuity. There is an important distinction to be made between being "first" and being "disruptive". An implementation of a feature could be both, but it has to be the latter to be innovation.

Being "first" is irrelevant if it sucks. Notice how much time passed between the Atrix and TouchID....and in all that time no one thought to put a fingerprint scanner in a smartphone because it didn't really work.

How many flagships smartphones have fingerprint scanners now?

Borrowing happens - but copying implies identical implementation. Apple doesn't COPY. Because Apple doesn't do things like everyone else. Apple may borrow certain features or ideas. But the implementation is almost always 100% Apple.

Hell, take copy-and-paste....Android had it first but its STILL such a pain in the rear to C&P on an Android device. Much easier to do so on iOS. Notifications are better on iOS, Siri is a far better assistant than anything else out there....list goes on.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
You mention these as if every implementation is exactly the same.....truth is, I could put out a crappy fingerprint scanner that's never used and doesn't disrupt a market at all. I shouldn't get any credit for doing anything innovative.

Like it or not, Apple may not have been "first" but they certainly didn't "copy" things like TouchID or Continuity. There is an important distinction to be made between being "first" and being "disruptive". An implementation of a feature could be both, but it has to be the latter to be innovation.

Being "first" is irrelevant if it sucks. Notice how much time passed between the Atrix and TouchID....and in all that time no one thought to put a fingerprint scanner in a smartphone because it didn't really work.

How many flagships smartphones have fingerprint scanners now?

Borrowing happens - but copying implies identical implementation. Apple doesn't COPY. Because Apple doesn't do things like everyone else. Apple may borrow certain features or ideas. But the implementation is almost always 100% Apple.

Hell, take copy-and-paste....Android had it first but its STILL such a pain in the rear to C&P on an Android device. Much easier to do so on iOS. Notifications are better on iOS, Siri is a far better assistant than anything else out there....list goes on.

The problem being, Patents, and the like of legal requirements, do not care if your implementation sucks ass, or if it didnt gain any marketshare, or even if you ever sold a single device.

I dont think anyone disputes the fact that Apple does these things fairly well, and far more succesful than many of those that came before it.

The problem is, you can't claim Apple as the sole inventor and innovator of all these things and as "The grande innovator" that many do claim.

Prior 'art' is prior art, even if it never was sold.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
3G, camera with flash, could take video, first iPhone couldn't take video according to Wikipedia. Expandable memory.

Native downloadable apps, navigation, flash (the Adobe kind), video calls... Pretty much every feature imaginable on a smart phone.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Do you have any material to back that up?

Samsung's other divisions are huge, the cell phone division is but one piece of a ginormous corporation. Just look at the fabrication for displays, memory and chips.

Sorry but I can't see how the cell phone division is Samsung's bread and butter. They make too many other products and have long before cell phones came to be, to say that sort of thing

Bingo. Samsung has been making a lot of stuff before cell phones. Refrigerators, washers, dryers, tv's, etc., etc, are very big here in mexico and probably the most sought after. Not to mention iphons are a very small market while samsung's are everywhere, those and chinese brands.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Tim's convorsation with SamSung

More like

Apple: let's stop the suits
Samsung : I agree
Apple : great!
Samsung : now can you stop copying us?
Apple: I guess

Actually I was in the office next door and on speaker phone call to Samsung, Tim was like:

Tim: We aint gonna use you no more for components past the A9 chip
and moving to that other place with the terrible logo and IBM to make our own.

Sam: Wait!! we will give you a discount..

Tim: Not happening!

Sam: ummm, we will drop the retaliation law suits???

Tim: Keep talkin'

Sam: (long sigh) OK, after the Galaxy Alpha, we will try real hard not to keep copying the phone which by the way, we REALLY sooo love it!

Tim: ...pause.....crickets.....

Sam: We will double capacity..Pleaaaaase!!! Our components sector is already hurting like, for so long and we NEED your business!

Tim: We'll see.. but for now, stop the cheesy law suites and copying us and we'll drop our defense suites (said with the most skeptical tone ever heard from Tim).

Sam: GREAT! Done (speaker phone rings in background) Call off the law suits. (crosses fingers behind back) send a memo to the design team to not send a team to apple stores when the iphone 6 comes out.

Tim: Thanks. clcik (hangs right up with a semi-smile)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Actually I was in the office next door and on speaker phone call to Samsung, Tim was like:

Tim: We aint gonna use you no more for components past the A9 chip
and moving to that other place with the terrible logo and IBM to make our own.

Sam: Wait!! we will give you a discount..

Tim: Not happening!

Sam: ummm, we will drop the retaliation law suits???

Tim: Keep talkin'

Sam: (long sigh) OK, after the Galaxy Alpha, we will try real hard not to keep copying the phone which by the way, we REALLY sooo love it!

Tim: ...pause.....crickets.....

Sam: We will double capacity..Pleaaaaase!!! Our components sector is already hurting like, for so long and we NEED your business!

Tim: We'll see.. but for now, stop the cheesy law suites and copying us and we'll drop our defense suites (said with the most skeptical tone ever heard from Tim).

Sam: GREAT! Done (speaker phone rings in background) Call off the law suits. (crosses fingers behind back) send a memo to the design team to not send a team to apple stores when the iphone 6 comes out.

Tim: Thanks. clcik (hangs right up with a semi-smile)

I find it hilarious that people still claim to find a connection between Samsung phones and iPhones.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The problem being, Patents, and the like of legal requirements, do not care if your implementation sucks ass, or if it didnt gain any marketshare, or even if you ever sold a single device.

I dont think anyone disputes the fact that Apple does these things fairly well, and far more succesful than many of those that came before it.

The problem is, you can't claim Apple as the sole inventor and innovator of all these things and as "The grande innovator" that many do claim.

Prior 'art' is prior art, even if it never was sold.

I think words like "copy", "innovation/innovator" and "inventor" are thrown around here interchangeably and without regard to their actual meaning.

Apple may not be the sole "inventor" of some of the things you mentioned (though they have a number of patents covering inventions in the original iPhone - "inventions" which Jobs vowed to protect at all costs), but they most certainly have been an innovator when it comes to various technology that was either left for dead or done horribly before they came along.

Again - I shy away from the word copy. There isn't a TON of copying going on anywhere, though Samsung is arguably the biggest culprit. "Borrowing" on the other hand is part of business in the industry. There aren't may new ways to show information or to close out an app or refresh an app. Borrowing means taking a feature and either developing a variation of its original implementation or simply making the existing implementation work.

Apple has changed the face of the smartphone industry - of that there can be no doubt or question. Samsung has had its own impact, though I vehemently oppose this idea that without Samsung, the industry would be stagnant or that we'd all be slaves to 3.5" displays and Apple products. Companies like HTC were creating smartphones with larger displays before Samsung did. And companies like HTC drove initial Android growth - when Samsung became the dominant player, Android had already surpassed iOS as the dominant platform marketshare wise.

Samsung created the phablet category - a popular product in its own right, but nothing that's changed the face of the industry yet. The Note series sells maybe 25-50 million units per year. A far cry from the iPhones or even Galaxy S's. And there really isn't any true competitor to the Note. Samsung also makes great displays, RAM modules and the like. But in all honesty, TouchWiz is the worst Android skin, Samsung devices are generally plagued by lag and software bloat and the primary reason they are as big as they are lies in the tens of billions of dollars they've spent over the last 3-4 years marketing said devices.

The decline is beginning - but watch. Apple will continue to produce the world's most popular smartphone, companies like HTC and LG will be able to breathe and their products will get the recognition they deserve and everyone will be just fine.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I find it hilarious that people still claim to find a connection between Samsung phones and iPhones.

The Galaxy Alpha does look an awful lot like a large iPhone 5/5S....make the home button round and remove the Samsung.....

Oh, I guess its "original" because Samsung kept that terrible faux leather backing.

Face it - Samsung has used their position in Apple's supply chain for years. They do everything people complain about Apple doing and more. And its make them wildly successful.

Let's call a spade a spade. Doesn't mean you can't still like their products.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I think words like "copy", "innovation/innovator" and "inventor" are thrown around here interchangeably and without regard to their actual meaning.

Apple may not be the sole "inventor" of some of the things you mentioned (though they have a number of patents covering inventions in the original iPhone - "inventions" which Jobs vowed to protect at all costs), but they most certainly have been an innovator when it comes to various technology that was either left for dead or done horribly before they came along.

Again - I shy away from the word copy. There isn't a TON of copying going on anywhere, though Samsung is arguably the biggest culprit. "Borrowing" on the other hand is part of business in the industry. There aren't may new ways to show information or to close out an app or refresh an app. Borrowing means taking a feature and either developing a variation of its original implementation or simply making the existing implementation work.

Apple has changed the face of the smartphone industry - of that there can be no doubt or question. Samsung has had its own impact, though I vehemently oppose this idea that without Samsung, the industry would be stagnant or that we'd all be slaves to 3.5" displays and Apple products. Companies like HTC were creating smartphones with larger displays before Samsung did. And companies like HTC drove initial Android growth - when Samsung became the dominant player, Android had already surpassed iOS as the dominant platform marketshare wise.

Samsung created the phablet category - a popular product in its own right, but nothing that's changed the face of the industry yet. The Note series sells maybe 25-50 million units per year. A far cry from the iPhones or even Galaxy S's. And there really isn't any true competitor to the Note. Samsung also makes great displays, RAM modules and the like. But in all honesty, TouchWiz is the worst Android skin, Samsung devices are generally plagued by lag and software bloat and the primary reason they are as big as they are lies in the tens of billions of dollars they've spent over the last 3-4 years marketing said devices.

The decline is beginning - but watch. Apple will continue to produce the world's most popular smartphone, companies like HTC and LG will be able to breathe and their products will get the recognition they deserve and everyone will be just fine.

I agree with everything said here.

The unfortunate thing that happens on MacRumours is that there is a frequent, and loud group who claim that if something isn't #1 and sells wildly successful, than it wasn't real, and therefore since Apple's iteration is wildly successful, Apple ahs the right to claim it as their own invention/innovation and exclusive right to it.

The Fingerprint scanner is one of those that gets this sort of attention. Apple has done an excellent job at making a fingerprint sensor. its the best implementation I have ever seen so far on a mobile device.

it is however not the first implementation of a fingerprint sensor in a mobile device or phone.

Just because it's the best and has been extremly succesfull, does not mean anyone else who is doing it is "copying" apple.

I really wish the 'fanboydom' would drop this notion of copying. it does happen, thats what KIRF is. Thats what the GooPhone6 is. That is not what a Galaxy phone is. That is not what a Nexus is.

its just one of my pet peeves when there are people who have this mentality, where their bias is obviously more important than fact

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The Galaxy Alpha does look an awful lot like a large iPhone 5/5S....make the home button round and remove the Samsung.....

Oh, I guess its "original" because Samsung kept that terrible faux leather backing.

Face it - Samsung has used their position in Apple's supply chain for years. They do everything people complain about Apple doing and more. And its make them wildly successful.

Let's call a spade a spade. Doesn't mean you can't still like their products.

So, if we remove the oblong button and change it to a perfect square. Then we remove the other buttons. We move the camera. Like you said, we change the screen size. We change the back completely, like you also said. So we're stuck with saying they're copying Apple because of... the shape of the phone? Because just about everything else is different.

Let's not pretend that a rectangle phone is magically an Apple creation.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
TouchID, 64-bit processors, Continuity....

Troll harder.

TouchID was not developed by Apple? 64-bit processors are a standard ARM implementation. Continuity? Haven't tried that, so no comments yet. So far it doesn't look like anything that hasn't been on offer on every cloud service for years, though.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So, if we remove the oblong button and change it to a perfect square. Then we remove the other buttons. We move the camera. Like you said, we change the screen size. We change the back completely, like you also said. So we're stuck with saying they're copying Apple because of... the shape of the phone? Because just about everything else is different.

Let's not pretend that a rectangle phone is magically an Apple creation.

I never said the word "copy" - you did. See the poster above....its not just the "fanboys" who throw these terms around. It is the responsibility of all parties to cut this crap out.

I simply said that it looks like an iPhone - the chamfered edges, the design details that haven't existed on any Galaxy smartphone until this particular phone - ironically the first to have some metal in the construction.

Personally, I've never seen what the fuss was about when it comes to Samsung devices. The software sucks, the designs are ok but nothing really amazing. Honestly, I think they get plenty of publicity from fanboys on both sides arguing about whether or not they copy Apple. Regardless of how you feel about it, that type of publicity puts them on equal footing in consumer's minds with Apple creating a similar "want" for their products.

At this point it seems people have started to move on. Cheaper devices in China, Korea and India and the lure of a larger iPhone in the US, Japan and UK. All while Windows Phone continues to pick up speed in places like the UK and Europe.

Anyways - borrowing. Not copying. Samsung borrows more than anyone (and the things they borrow sometimes make me laugh). I think they ran out of ideas a long time ago. I don't think they've ever really innovated anything and have relied on marketing dollars and inside knowledge of Apple's key features (not to mention Android's vast improvement) to dominate.

I think that's all beginning to fade. And thank the heavens - its about time the BEST of Android (HTC One, LG G3) had the spotlight. Unbelievable to me how they get overshadowed by the Galaxy S series.

----------

TouchID was not developed by Apple? 64-bit processors are a standard ARM implementation. Continuity? Haven't tried that, so no comments yet. So far it doesn't look like anything that hasn't been on offer on every cloud service for years, though.

TouchID was certainly developed by Apple. They didn't invent the fingerprint sensor, but TouchID as an implementation is most certainly an innovation. Look at how many flagships had such a feature before the iPhone 5S. Now see how many have some attempt?

Nothing about Apple's processors is standard. What other smartphone OEM released a customized chipset based on 64-bit architecture? Oh, that's right....they all buy straight from the shelf....did you miss the articles after the announcement? People from companies like Intel and Samsung and such talking about how it took them by surprise? And how they'd need to kick it into gear to implement something similar?

I've never used anything like Continuity....perhaps I don't know about or have access to all these cloud services you do....the ability to pick up anything at any time on any of my devices without set up seems pretty unique. But perhaps I'm wrong.

At any rate. It's all been done before. Why should they even bother? When people like you simply dismiss new implementations because some guy in a basement made a working fingerprint sensor in a smartphone that no one ever used....

Enjoy whatever platform you enjoy. I'm looking forward to Apple's announcements and the enhanced competition in the Android space that comes about as Samsung loses its grip on the lion's marketshare.

----------

I agree with everything said here.

The unfortunate thing that happens on MacRumours is that there is a frequent, and loud group who claim that if something isn't #1 and sells wildly successful, than it wasn't real, and therefore since Apple's iteration is wildly successful, Apple ahs the right to claim it as their own invention/innovation and exclusive right to it.

The Fingerprint scanner is one of those that gets this sort of attention. Apple has done an excellent job at making a fingerprint sensor. its the best implementation I have ever seen so far on a mobile device.

it is however not the first implementation of a fingerprint sensor in a mobile device or phone.

Just because it's the best and has been extremly succesfull, does not mean anyone else who is doing it is "copying" apple.

I really wish the 'fanboydom' would drop this notion of copying. it does happen, thats what KIRF is. Thats what the GooPhone6 is. That is not what a Galaxy phone is. That is not what a Nexus is.

its just one of my pet peeves when there are people who have this mentality, where their bias is obviously more important than fact

There is also an equally loud group who feels its their duty to "criticize" Apple for just about everything and perpetuate these stereotypes and buzz words by attributing them to just about anyone who has anything decent to say about Apple.

The idea that Samsung is some white knight fighting against the evil Apple stranglehold on customers is quite pervasive. And it baffles me.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I never said the word "copy" - you did. See the poster above....its not just the "fanboys" who throw these terms around. It is the responsibility of all parties to cut this crap out.

I simply said that it looks like an iPhone - the chamfered edges, the design details that haven't existed on any Galaxy smartphone until this particular phone - ironically the first to have some metal in the construction.

Personally, I've never seen what the fuss was about when it comes to Samsung devices. The software sucks, the designs are ok but nothing really amazing. Honestly, I think they get plenty of publicity from fanboys on both sides arguing about whether or not they copy Apple. Regardless of how you feel about it, that type of publicity puts them on equal footing in consumer's minds with Apple creating a similar "want" for their products.

At this point it seems people have started to move on. Cheaper devices in China, Korea and India and the lure of a larger iPhone in the US, Japan and UK. All while Windows Phone continues to pick up speed in places like the UK and Europe.

Anyways - borrowing. Not copying. Samsung borrows more than anyone (and the things they borrow sometimes make me laugh). I think they ran out of ideas a long time ago. I don't think they've ever really innovated anything and have relied on marketing dollars and inside knowledge of Apple's key features (not to mention Android's vast improvement) to dominate.

I think that's all beginning to fade. And thank the heavens - its about time the BEST of Android (HTC One, LG G3) had the spotlight. Unbelievable to me how they get overshadowed by the Galaxy S series.

----------

TouchID was certainly developed by Apple. They didn't invent the fingerprint sensor, but TouchID as an implementation is most certainly an innovation. Look at how many flagships had such a feature before the iPhone 5S. Now see how many have some attempt?

Nothing about Apple's processors is standard. What other smartphone OEM released a customized chipset based on 64-bit architecture? Oh, that's right....they all buy straight from the shelf....did you miss the articles after the announcement? People from companies like Intel and Samsung and such talking about how it took them by surprise? And how they'd need to kick it into gear to implement something similar?

I've never used anything like Continuity....perhaps I don't know about or have access to all these cloud services you do....the ability to pick up anything at any time on any of my devices without set up seems pretty unique. But perhaps I'm wrong.

At any rate. It's all been done before. Why should they even bother? When people like you simply dismiss new implementations because some guy in a basement made a working fingerprint sensor in a smartphone that no one ever used....

Enjoy whatever platform you enjoy. I'm looking forward to Apple's announcements and the enhanced competition in the Android space that comes about as Samsung loses its grip on the lion's marketshare.

----------

There is also an equally loud group who feels its their duty to "criticize" Apple for just about everything and perpetuate these stereotypes and buzz words by attributing them to just about anyone who has anything decent to say about Apple.

The idea that Samsung is some white knight fighting against the evil Apple stranglehold on customers is quite pervasive. And it baffles me.

What makes the LG G3 or HTC One better than the S5? Really?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What makes the LG G3 or HTC One better than the S5? Really?

Haven't used any of them - going off of reviews and such I've read and transferring my experience with the M7 HTC One and GS4 forward as, from what I've read, the M8 is an improvement, while the GS5 is more meh.

I've read nothing but great things about the G3.

Most of it has to do with software. Skin-wise, TouchWiz is just the worst. There's nothing that really causes the GS5 to stand out. LG continues with the backside buttons, which it seems they've refined - and while I don't know that I'd find them all that great, apparently they work really well. The HTC One has its awesome design and build quality that sets it apart. And Sense is SO SO much better than TouchWiz. Sense 4 was great and I've read that Sense 5 is a pretty big improvement.

Yet, HTC is barley holding on. And LG is only now starting to gather some steam. Neither can match Samsung in marketing dollars. As I said earlier, there's nothing about the GS series that's ground breaking, original or innovative. It's all marketing fluff. Now consumers are starting to see it which means more room for HTC and LG to actually grow as opposed to wildly treading water.

I'd much rather see what HTC and LG can do with more money and room to maneuver than Samsung.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

Fingerprint scanner
Pull down menus
Widgets
Video calling
Front facing cameras
Voice assistant

They are not products, they are functions. Some of the things you mentioned are absolutely stupid!! Front facing camera? What else have they copied? Making a phone call on a mobile phone? Seriously, some people around here......!!! :eek::eek:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Haven't used any of them - going off of reviews and such I've read and transferring my experience with the M7 HTC One and GS4 forward as, from what I've read, the M8 is an improvement, while the GS5 is more meh.

I've read nothing but great things about the G3.

Most of it has to do with software. Skin-wise, TouchWiz is just the worst. There's nothing that really causes the GS5 to stand out. LG continues with the backside buttons, which it seems they've refined - and while I don't know that I'd find them all that great, apparently they work really well. The HTC One has its awesome design and build quality that sets it apart. And Sense is SO SO much better than TouchWiz. Sense 4 was great and I've read that Sense 5 is a pretty big improvement.

Yet, HTC is barley holding on. And LG is only now starting to gather some steam. Neither can match Samsung in marketing dollars. As I said earlier, there's nothing about the GS series that's ground breaking, original or innovative. It's all marketing fluff. Now consumers are starting to see it which means more room for HTC and LG to actually grow as opposed to wildly treading water.

I'd much rather see what HTC and LG can do with more money and room to maneuver than Samsung.

Thanks for explaining.

----------

They are not products, they are functions. Some of the things you mentioned are absolutely stupid!! Front facing camera? What else have they copied? Making a phone call on a mobile phone? Seriously, some people around here......!!! :eek::eek:

You act as though a FFC is an obvious thing. If it was, Apple would have included it in their first, second, or maybe third iPhone. But they didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.