Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Not really. Microsoft and Apple signed an agreement not to copy each other in the mobile phone market so seeing Apple part ways with another competitor, Samsung, only encourages more innovation and competition on Microsoft's part.

The only one who is being left out here is Samsung.

I am sorry but samsung has been doing a lot of innovative stuff with phones. Have you seen the galaxy note, the note 10.1, the galaxy s3, galaxy nexus. They all had much more innovative features than the iphone 5 which is really nothing gamechanging at all. The galaxy nexus has a curved display, the galaxy note introduced a pretty decent sized market for 5+ inch phones and integrated a digitizer, the galaxy s3 had loads of new software features in the new touchwiz, and the galaxy note 10.1 brought the note to full sized tablets and brought side by side multitasking. The only thing iOS has done in the past year is add facebook integration and a new maps program that has had lukewarm reception at best and most reviews are pretty poor.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Businesses clearly lack the capacity to feel emotion but board members are humans and they can be as emotional as a bride who's flowers are late.

I think, overall, this is a good thing for the electronics market and, potentially, for Apple. Apple doesn't want to be reliant on anyone and there are other manufacturers who, with Apple's investment, could probably start competing more with Samsung - if anyone is a big enough player to really boost Samsung's major competitors, it's Apple.

Strategically I guess Apple's business to Samsung was not only about making money but also about stopping the billions of dollars of business going to their competition who could use it to springboard themselves into the race with Samsung. Apple is one massive chip on that table.

All good points, but as far as Apple not wanting to be reliant on anyone, to what end?

If Apple makes their own chips, are they going to make their own hard drives? RAM? Capacitors?

Are they going to have their own Silicon, Silver, Aluminum, and Carbon mining/production facilities? Make their own boxes? Cardboard? Will they acquisition acres of forestry to feed their paper mills?

No man is an island, and the same is true of any groups of men. We all rely on each other for something.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Short term:

Not good.

N O T G O O D.

Will significantly impact production capacity for Apple, and free up capacity for Samsung, among other things.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Good.

That will show Samsung its not ok to copy/take the piss of etc your competitors and their users.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Samsung should just cut em off.

You're kidding? Apple buys multiple BILLION$$ in parts from Samsung. Apple accounts for like 20% of Samsung semiconductor/parts sales. Only Sony buys more parts. More importantly, Apple has long term contracts they have PREPAID for setup and upgrades needed.

If Samsung tried to cut Apple off they would have contract suits for BILLIONS in breech liability... And no OTHER company would take them seriously to invest money in them.

Everybody misses that Apple was VERY GOOD to Samsung. Apple spent most of the recession writing Samsung checks for $100's of millions of dollars UP FRONT to retrofit lines for Apple's needs stupid Samsung CEO allowed his phone division to target APPLE SPECIFICALLY... not just features, but press, marketing, etc... Samsung made it "personal" first... Now they're watching Apple pull apart their production business as the contracts expire. Oops!

Like iPhone or not, early on, 3/4 of the Bill of Materials cost for iPods and iPhones was going right back to SAMSUNG'S pocket... You just don't say bad things about the product when you got that kind of money in the deal.

Last edited:

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
No one benefits.

Actually, Apple seems to benefit pretty well. Taking over all the design for the A6, they've ended up with a dual chip that bests Samsung's higher clocked quad. Seems good to me.

TSMC is probably going to benefit, too, eventually.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Samsung should just cut em off.

My guess is that they have a contract but I do find it interesting that Apple is burning its bridges with its suppliers. The arrogance is going to eat away at Apple until/unless they get it under control.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
You're kidding? Apple buys multiple BILLION$$ in parts from Samsung. Apple accounts for like 20% of Samsung semiconductor/parts sales. Only Sony buys more parts. More importantly, Apple has long term contracts they have PREPAID for setup and upgrades needed.

If Samsung tried to cut Apple off they would have contract suits for BILLIONS in breech liability... And no OTHER company would take them seriously to invest money in them.

Everybody misses that Apple was VERY GOOD to Samsung. Apple spent most of the recession writing Samsung checks for $100's of millions of dollars UP FRONT to retrofit lines for Apple's needs stupid Samsung CEO allowed his phone division to target APPLE SPECIFICALLY... not just features, but press, marketing, etc... Samsung made it "personal" first... Now they're watching Apple pull apart their production business as the contracts expire. Oops!

......... :facepalm:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

That needs to be said: Samsung actually created advertisements that specifically target Apple and try to make fun of Apple's customers. Not something that keeps a business relationship healthy.

My guess is that they have a contract but I do find it interesting that Apple is burning its bridges with its suppliers. The arrogance is going to eat away at Apple until/unless they get it under control.

Not with "its suppliers". With _one_ supplier whose mobile business tries whatever they can to damage Apple. And switching to different suppliers who play nicely instead. I can't quite understand why you call that "arrogance". If you had a supplier who has been ripping you off, that has just been convicted to pay you a billion dollars for patent infringement, then you would do your best to find other suppliers. That is just common sense. And others are watching; losing a major customer because you tried to rip them off is a warning sign for others as well.

Short term:

Not good.

N O T G O O D.

Will significantly impact production capacity for Apple, and free up capacity for Samsung, among other things.

I wish Samsung an awful lot of free capacity :)

Last edited:

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
No one will win.

Some people here need to take a basic economics class to get an idea of the situation.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
All good points, but as far as Apple not wanting to be reliant on anyone, to what end?

I think s/he meant 'not wanting to be reliant for anything strategic ...' Their own chip design is probably strategic to apple, but probably not chip fabrication nor making hard drives, memory, etc.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I am sorry but samsung has been doing a lot of innovative stuff with phones. Have you seen the galaxy note, the note 10.1, the galaxy s3, galaxy nexus. They all had much more innovative features than the iphone 5 which is really nothing gamechanging at all.

Partly agree. I would not quite say innovative, but make powerful competitive high quality products.
Samsung and LG are 2 rising stars in durable goods.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
I have a strong feeling that Apple will vanish one day..
They are seeking for too much attentions from media. Now becoming their own problem.
I hope i dont lose satisfying customer service that Apple offer in US regions. Unless Samsung brings the exact customer service like they did in east-asia.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That needs to be said: Samsung actually created advertisements that specifically target Apple and try to make fun of Apple's customers. Not something that keeps a business relationship healthy.

Apple is no different. Whether it was keynotes or statements to the press, etc - they bashed their competition - and Samsung, being one of them was not only their competition - but a supplier.

Both parties engaged in the behavior. It's was businesses do. And it's not personal. It's business.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

+1

Still is problem for Apple as they have to shift production to other sources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.