Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Snore…

Nothing to see here. US customers line up to get ripped off for AT&T's outdated tech. No thanks. I'll just keep my credit card in it's warm leathery home.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This is completely retarded! People that have an iPhone already are being punished. It is tell me I have to wait until 12/12/2009 to be able to get the price of $199.99 and I got my 3G on launch day. My buddy bought his weeks after launch and he can upgrade on 8/30... what is that all about? This doesn't make sense at all and I will not be buying a iPhone 3GS at launch. There is no way I am paying $200 more just to have it at launch. Screw that.

They were very clear to us that we would have to wait 18 months until we could get upgrade pricing again. Why would you think otherwise? Magic?

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005
its cheaper to pay the early termination fee for the current 3G line then buy one with a 2 year price

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Both Guilty

In my case, they want $400 over the subsidized price: $699 for the 32 GB 3GS. :mad:

I call BS on AT&T. I've been a loyal iPhone customer since the beginning, bought each phone the day it launched, and they pull THIS on me? No way in hell am I shelling out $700 for a phone.

Remember....ATT is charging you more because they have to hand over the money to Apple. Both are guilty.

zxcvb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Apple or ATT whichever ******** made this upgrade price, you can go to hell. you are seriously over spoiled by loyal customers

Sarcasmo

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
To all the upgrade haters...

It would be the same for any otherphone at any other company. If I want to get the newest blackberry and I'm not eligible, they're going to charge me more. If I cancel my contract,pay the ETF and get the new customer price, sure I'll save a little. But that's business.

It has nothing to do with "showing respect to loyal iPhone customers", it's all about getting new ones, and getting hold-outs to upgrade, and then about getting new customers again, and then again.

If you're that angry about paying a "surcharge/tax" then don't upgrade, and wait til next year when you get the satisfaction of making fun of everyone that paid a bundle to upgrade early when iPhone 4: Alien Vs Predator comes out.

Boxybrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I work for AT&T at a corporate store and the internal memos basically say that if you have bought one of the original 3g iphones within 30 days you can either A) return it now and wait for the new ones, just paying a 10% restockign fee and buy the new one when it comes out, or B) if your still within 30 days on june 19th you can return it then and pay the 10% restock and get whatever model you want.

And furthermore, I dont know which company you could go to, and they would just hand you a brand new 700$ piece of equipment, that was just released, for free or with minimal penalties. I'm not overly loyal to my own company, but if you are one of the R-tards who think just because you pay your bill, ATT should eat a handful of money to get you the brand new phone you want, your loyalty would be much more appreciated somewhere else..I assure you.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Apple really let me down today. Yeah, the new iPhone 3GS is faster and can record video, but c'mon, those aren't good selling points.

You're right. They're not very good selling points. The fact that every other aspect of the iPhone still kicks ass on everything else out there is the best selling point. Apple's just cleaning up the things they didn't get right the first time around, but that doesn't diminish how great the rest of the phone is.

But whatever. I guess my advice to you is don't buy one. (Shouldn't be a hard decision. I have a feeling you weren't planning to anyway.)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
price for upgrading from 2G?

I have the first iPhone. Am planning to give this to my partner, who's currently a Verizon customer, so we can be under ATT as a family plan. If I buy the 3GS, will I have to pay the full price, or will I be able to get the subsidized price?

mike105

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
so I'm confused ... which shipping do I have to pick to get it on the 19th ... hmmm ... and what's the point of the preorder if it's not guaranteed to be in stock?

When I pick the regular shipping it says: "Estimated Ship: Delivers by June 19th "

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Wow, I can't believe all the complaining about the price of the upgrade. When you bought your 3G iphone last year, AT&T ponied up $400 for you to sign a new 2 year contract. That means that you agreed to keep your plan for 2 years. If you want to take advantage of the subsidy again, you have to sign a new 2 year contract. To do that, you would have to cancel your current plan, and pay whatever fees, then create a new account.

AT&T IS helping out loyal customers, but the deal is every 2 years. It is like that with any phone you buy from them, and they don't care about new stuff being released.

To all the counter-whiners who say that 3G owners should suck it up on the higher price. The problem many of us have is that we have been iPhone owners since launch day of the original iPhone. When the 3G was launched, there was no higher price for an "early upgrade." We simply paid the subsidized price and were locked into a new 2 year contract. iPhone owners were treated no differently than first-time buyers of the iPhone 3G. What AT&T is doing here IS new for them, and based on the example they set last year, they ARE in fact screwing long-term iPhone owners.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
I work for AT&T at a corporate store and the internal memos basically say that if you have bought one of the original 3g iphones within 30 days you can either A) return it now and wait for the new ones, just paying a 10% restockign fee and buy the new one when it comes out, or B) if your still within 30 days on june 19th you can return it then and pay the 10% restock and get whatever model you want.

any way for those who bought a 3G to haggle it down to subsidized price?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Wow, I can't believe all the complaining about the price of the upgrade. When you bought your 3G iphone last year, AT&T ponied up $400 for you to sign a new 2 year contract. That means that you agreed to keep your plan for 2 years. If you want to take advantage of the subsidy again, you have to sign a new 2 year contract. To do that, you would have to cancel your current plan, and pay whatever fees, then create a new account.

AT&T IS helping out loyal customers, but the deal is every 2 years. It is like that with any phone you buy from them, and they don't care about new stuff being released.

It's a two year contract. But I'm signing a new one. For all it's worth. They are getting 85 dollars from me a month. They pretty much made an additional year more on. So yeah...great job on them...they won't pony up $200 bucks and I won't give them an additional 900 bucks. Hmm...Att...how about it...200 bucks you make me save now...and I'll give you 900 bucks later..(NET PROFIT OF 700!!!).

GET REAL. ATT FANBOY.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I need HARDWARE specs. C'mon, I know a cortex is hiding under there. Which GFX core you got, SGX 535?

ddTaylor

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
I enjoyed watching Apple completely steal every single last bit of Palm's steam they had "built up" over the weekend.

Too bad the Pasco guy doing the demo couldn't tap into some of it though ;)

Really? This makes the Pre look much more inciting to me as a 3G owner and a 2G owner. They did not steal ANYTHING from Pre as they, to my knowledge, have refused to release the RAM and CPU information - as many claim it is the same CPU with a bit more memory and a better interface between the hardware and software via the newer 'chipset'.

The Pre allows for REAL multi-tasking, much faster CPU, more memory and the ability to ad 8 or 16gb through a nice feature called a MEMORY SLOT! Why doesn't Apple allow for that? As a dedicated Apple consumer with NO windows boxes in my house - and only two iPhones (2G and 3G) I am a bit underwhelmed and the Pre is positioned to take a small but size-able chunk from the Apple market share - the $99 3G makes for a kick-ass price-point but I would spend $200 more and get a phone with tethering, MMS/SMS, multi-tasking and a better camera in the Pre. If it will sync well with my Mac I am there as this was NOT an update that will make me sell the 3G or 2G to get this incrimental update - STILL without functions and features other phones (even those on the ATT network) have had for at LEAST 5-years! ATT is terrible and Apple is just as bad for hitching their wagon to this backwards and outdated telephony company...

D

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I did the check on the online Apple store thing - I bought my 3G August last year.

Now it says I'm eligible for upgrade pricing in August of this year? Thats only one year. I wonder if thats a mistake in their systems or Apple is allowing the iPhone->iPhone upgrade after only one year.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
so I'm confused ... which shipping do I have to pick to get it on the 19th ... hmmm ... and what's the point of the preorder if it's not guaranteed to be in stock?

When I pick the regular shipping it says: "Estimated Ship: Delivers by June 19th "

Yeah I'm confused, I picked standard shipping as well. On the main iPhone page it says 'Free Shipping - Delivered by June 19th'. But my confirmation email says SHIPPING June 19th, delivered by June 24th.

Hoping they'll sort this out and it'll arrive by June 19th.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I will get my price of $199.99 for the 16GB on Dec. 12th. It doesn't make sense the dates of upgrades is what I was saying. And someone that bought their iPhone 3G weeks after me gets theirs months before mine... doesn't add up on the dates.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Thats because last time Apple cost o2 an utter bomb. Doing early upgrades... just wait its not such a huge update anyway...

Upgrade
If you're already with us on Pay Monthly, you can upgrade to the new iPhone 3G when it's time to upgrade. It's usually the last month of your contract, but you can check at My O2.

If you've already got an iPhone, download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software from 17 June and you'll get over 100 new features. Find out more

So I will stick to my 3G and wait another 12 months. 3GS is not worth that money at all.

enrique1551

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
ca
new 3GS

"I talked to AT&T, I was told I could do a secure upgrade and have to wait 3 days to get the phone (pay the 299 plus 18 fee) or wait until 7/12 at which time I can get the 299+18 and just sign a new 2 year deal."

That sounds interesting.
As my old cell phone was broken last week, I had to buy 3G. Less than a week, Apple announced new 3GS! That was what I was afraid and told to ATT!
I want to replace without any cost!:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.