Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
ok, terrific!

now how about those of us currently on AT&T with FamilyShare plans? can these plans be share if only one of the phones is an iPhone and the other is a BlackJack? doubtful.

what then are my options? the line i want to upgrade to the iPhone is not under contract, the other line is (upgraded to a BlackJack last year).

so, am i forced to split the lines from the FamilyShare plan? it says i can us ANY AT&T plan, meaning I should be able to us my current shared plan and just add a certain amount for the unlimited data & 200 texts (which i currently pay $20/month for, and am fine with that).

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Just for comparison

T-Mobile. 1,500minutes, unlimited data, 400 SMS: $65.00
Sprint. 450 minutes, unlimited data (3G), 300 SMS: $59.00 (slightly less of a ripoff due to 3G)
Verizon: Not even going to bother since they're probably twice as much as everyone else

Looking at T-Mobile and Sprint's pricing, it's safe to say this is a ripoff.

Hey pal, what happens when you don't use all your minutes? Do they just go into thin air? :rolleyes:

-nickspohn

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Jesus....this is a deal??? What do you guys do for money? How much time do you spend on the phone??

I'm just fine with my T-mobile prepaid phone...$100 every 6 months or so. iPhone is iHype and iMoney. And of course the 'i' is question in Jobs. And I like Apple and Jobs. But enough is enough! Just give my my xMac, Steve.

Then this product is totally not geared toward you ... at all.

Not even remotely.

The end.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
I just can't seem to justify paying for data on EDGE. It's just going to make me want to find wifi asap. I understand critical data and such, but at such a slow rate won't browsing the web be excruciating, save wifi?

growing up with a 1200 baud modem was excruciating. i'm happy with 56k speeds, and EDGE is usually at least twice that. i'm not saying it's speedy, but to say that it is unusable or completely overpriced is a bit of a stretch.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
YIKES A 75 GB iPhone!!!

I just watched the iPhone activation movie. The iPhone used in the demo has 75GB!!! of data storage!!!

Where do I buy that iPhone on Friday!!!

The video starts out with 8GB then a 6min 15 sec, BOOM a 75GB iPhone. What a feature, the more you put on it the more it holds. It may be a miracle phone after all!

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Just for comparison

Sprint. 450 minutes, unlimited data (3G), 300 SMS: $59.00 (slightly less of a ripoff due to 3G)
Verizon: Not even going to bother since they're probably twice as much as everyone else

That's fantastic news. Let us know when TMobile and Sprint have an iPhone.

DocStone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
How will family share plans work? I will get an iPhone but my current contract has my wife's V3 on it and we share time? Thanks all.

BTW, I have have been a long time 'lurker' on the boards. (years) I have just started to post...odd...I don't know why but I feel like I know many of you. I am such a nerd.

-Doc

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
this comes from TUAW.com ...
"Speaking of activation, the second press release should offer some relief to those worried about being able to unbox their own iPhone or waiting for every phone to get activated in the store. Apple and AT&T have announced that iPhones users will be able to "activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes(R) software running on a PC or Mac in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office." iTunes will guide users through choosing a service plan, authorizing their credit and activating the iPhone, after which they will of course be able to manage the synching process of all their bookmarks, contacts and iTunes media."

Excellent news

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Are there also contracts where you pay for each minute, each SMS and the data you transferred? These seem to be kind of flatrates, what if one just wants to pay for what he/she used? Does AT&T offer theses things, too?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Beats my blackberry plan. If they offer the standard 15% discount for education on the plan, ill be extremely happy.

Also, ill probably buy an extra 1k text messages too, and still come in below the price i pay now!!!

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
phone # in video

so, how many calls do you think "Johnny Appleseed"'s new iPhone is gonna get today. They show the number in the video. by the way, i'm guessing they made this video back on May 14th, since that's the date that came up when asking for his birthday.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Can you enlighten those of us not in the states what this mobile to mobile thing is? You get free calls to mobiles? Or just AT&T? Either way thats a pretty hot deal. In the UK I pay £35 a month ($65) for 500 texts and 600 minutes, no data, no mobile to mobile.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Um, to quote from the Activation video...

This bar at the bottom shows you how much room you have left on your iPhone."

Yeah, if it's an 80GB iPhone! WTF? Look about half-an-inch from the end of the video.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    59 KB · Views: 232

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Just for comparison

I don't think anyone cares, you've been trolling every iPhone recent iPhone thread about this stupid crap. The iPhone is on Cingular/AT&T, not T-Mobile, not Sprint, not Verizon, not Alltel, not US Cellular, not Suncom, not MetroPCS, not PrimeCo, not Nextel... So shut up already for the love of god.

Also, did anyone notice this in the video-

80gb_iPhone.png

Edit: Apparently so!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
yes, but if you don't use your minutes every month, chances are, you've never going to touch your rollover minutes ever. It's a gimmick :rolleyes:

I fluctuate from minutes every month. It's actually nice to have, as say i use 400 minutes a month 1 month, that leaves me with 1,000 minutes for the next month.

Don't be envious.

-nickspohn

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That's fantastic news. Let us know when TMobile and Sprint have an iPhone.
take the damn iPhone out of the equation for a minute. You're getting ripped off by AT&T, who cares what phone you have. It's not right, and it's extortion.

Then again, you all are so willing to hand over more money than you should for the service you're getting, maybe it's not extortion, but consumer stupidity

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
This makes my decision too. I only need 300 or so minutes most months, so with rollover minutes, the 450 plan will be just fine for me, and I'm paying about the same amount for Verizon with its horrible service and crappy phones. I'm really pleased with these plans. :)

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Don't need/have a cellphone;wasn't in the market

Now I am.

You had me at unlimited data for $60.00.

That's something that I can use.

tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.