Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Okay guys, forget about what the article is actually about. Let's talk about the icons...

smh, I never knew people cared so much about icons up until iOS 7 was shown at WWDC.

devilofspades

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Agreed, I don't like the icons. Wish I could apply / attend both days. Hopefully they will release the videos like they have before.

per apples site...

Presentation Videos
Can't make it to an event? We’ll be posting videos of the sessions shortly after the last event, so all Registered Apple Developers can take advantage of great iOS 7 Tech Talks content.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
Okay guys, forget about what the article is actually about. Let's talk about the icons...

smh, I never knew people cared so much about icons up until iOS 7 was shown at WWDC.

We never had to question design aesthetic until iOS 7. There is just no consistency - I think that is the real issue.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
One City At A Time

It seems like there is a SimCity joke in here somewhere...can't quite pull it out.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I'm sure these spots will get filled real fast!
Nope. As many people can apply to go as they want to. Then it's up to lock if you win the random drawing to see if you get a ticket to go. The spots will fill up at once because they chosen at random by Apple. (That's if more people than the quota apply)

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
So basically sorry we were not ready at wwdc, but we finally got some of this iOS 7 stuff done.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
New York - Texis
SanFran - Golden gate
UK - Red Telephone booth
Tokyo - Robots/No, Androids/No - System Fail, cannot compute, hard reset> jap flag - accepted...

Oh the brilliant design minds behind those icons, so well thought through.

I think Berlin is the best of the lot.

Last edited:

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Is there any reason Apple coudn't have used this background for iCloud website. The current background is a real turn off. This at least looks nice.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
Why are the icons for Tokyo and London inspired by the country rather than by the city itself (the others are all city landmarks)?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I can save you some money and sum this up.
How to iOS7 your apps:

1. Change all your icons into lines of text for people to read through, and make all your text a very light blue, 2pt font, and float them disjointedly in blinding white space, to make everyones eyeballs burst as they strain to read it.

2. Design your icons with a jumble of Flourescent Orange Yellow, and Pink, and randomize gradients all over them.

3. Use an assortment of graphical styles in your iconography, from 1px wide line art to solid fill shapes to some 1950s skeumorphic imagery to abstract disassociative non-linear progressivism with transgenic subordinate geometric proportionality from the future. Mix em up. All on one screen, if possible.

4. Only do any or all of this on about half your apps, and let the others be.

Shoot for inconsistency wherever possible. People love that.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
First topic on the agenda: How to make ugly icons.

I agree, it's not that they're ugly on their own, it's just that they're an inconsistent mess together.

Some have fine lines, others big blocks. Some are single-coloured (save the background), others are multicoloured (like the UK one). Some are centred, others are clipping the corners.

These are the same things that bother me about the iOS 7 iconset really. Like the fine details in Safari/Settings icons clashing with the simple forms of the Phone/Email ones.

Edit: What Thunderskunk says above my post.. Exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.