Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
Apples iOS 6 will be an awesome upgrade but I've been hearing some stuff about Apple's Maps feature. It will not include a transportation option in its directions tab compared to google maps on iOS 5.1.1. I hope I am wrong and Apple included such feature on iOS 6.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
just super glad to get siri on the new ipad. gonna be awesome. i'm so so so tired of having to touch all my idevices, finally, i can just talk to it for everything.

so with integrated siri/ios6, how soon until states will start outlawing "verbal texting while driving"

---- it's a great improvement but you still have to touch a button to do something on the phone. In the jailbreaking scene, you can activate or use your phone just by calling Siri. You can even designate a certain name for it.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I really want to check out the new map app.
I hope it gets better than googles...

And I really hope turn by turn direction is automatic and not self clicking ones in google maps.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
I hated using the tap to direct thing until iOS5.
I can see where Im going but telling me where to turn all that, why would I have to click it?
Why not automatic you know?

--- I know what you mean. That's why I don't use google maps while I'm driving. Since it doesn't tell you the directions, its accident prone and ticket prone. I just hope that Apples Maps will top Google Maps.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
--- I know what you mean. That's why I don't use google maps while I'm driving. Since it doesn't tell you the directions, its accident prone and ticket prone. I just hope that Apples Maps will top Google Maps.

I understand if there are some complications with the map for the first few months after release.
But from 6.0.1, I hope to see some perfect map with directions if they are ditching google maps :/

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I wonder what time?

Can anyone remember the approximate time thet release the update for past releases ?

I won't be available after the morning (EST) for a few days so thought if it was released earlier I would get up.

No big deal though. Just curious.

Cheers
Keebler

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I'm really not sure if I'll upgrade to iOS 6 until I've seen the mapping tool. Google maps has been a gem of an app and to lose it could suck :(

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Any idea of a release time for iOS 6 in Britain? I'm thinking it'll be released towards the beginning of the American day which is around 5/6PM GMT.

----------

I'm really not sure if I'll upgrade to iOS 6 until I've seen the mapping tool. Google maps has been a gem of an app and to lose it could suck :(

Google will come out with their own maps app for iOS. Why would you say "If I'll upgrade"? It's so quick and easy that it's pointless not to. If maps is your only worry, I'd upgrade anyway. Just like YouTube, Google will be keen to still offer their official apps.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iOS6

I keep hearing the number 200 thrown around as in "there are more than 200 new features in iOS6". Will we ever see a list of all 200 and what they are and what they do and where are they located in iOS6?:confused:

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Looking forward to update but disappointed that turn by turn is not supported on iPhone 4. Particularly since there are third party apps that do have that feature. :confused:

t47

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
How does Apple get away with still not allowing changes to the default browser and mail programs? When will they get hit with a lawsuit similar to what happened with Microsoft's packaging of IE with Windows?

Looks like the Chrome App might still be better than the new Safari in iOS6, and the gmail app is still more fully featured than the new mail app from what I can tell. And so far not at all impressed with iCloud and its skeuomorphic nonsense.

I like Apple's hardware and Google's software... It's like having to juggle two friends who hate each other.

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
But what time? Hahaha... but seriously.

Never mind, sorry.

Last edited:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
The new Passbook app will hold tickets, passes, and payment cards for participating businesses

Yipee!!

----------

I really want to check out the new map app.
I hope it gets better than googles...

And I really hope turn by turn direction is automatic and not self clicking ones in google maps.

Turn by turn is amazing. I've not used my TomTom app since due to iOS simplicity.

Kram1975

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Turn by Turn Directions

Someone help me out. Siri is the voice of Turn by Turn directions right?

and iOS6 is available on the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 correct?

Does this mean that the iPhone 4 will get Siri voice just for directions?

or will it be a version with no voice or will the iPhone 4 get Siri?

or am I totally missing something?

I can't wait to get an iPhone mount for my car windshield and ditch my Garmin. I hope it works well.

t47

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Does this mean that the iPhone 4 will get Siri voice just for directions?

or will it be a version with no voice or will the iPhone 4 get Siri?

As far as I understand, iPhone 4 won't get Siri, and it won't get turn-by-turn directions either... Not all iOS 6 features will work on all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.