Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I can get a number of these pieces of software for cheaper at my university's bookstore. iWork was $39.99 before tax.

It is only the general edu store that the prices are high, as they can't check you are a student. The HE store still gives a really good educational discount.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
This new DRM patent is absolute garbage and I too would run back to the comforts of MS if it ever was put in place.
If enacted, I can imagine not being able to upgrade my RAM (let alone the hard drive) on my new macbook without getting 'approval' from Apple first.
Here's hoping this patent never sees the light of day and remains locked away in some filing cabinet.

ajward

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
Yeah, what a great idea - if your goal is to cause a pain in the ass for people who legitimately buy the software.

I had one friend who, after buying XP and attempting to move it to a new box 6 months later, ended up getting fed up with the activation "piracy protection" after he couldn't get it to work at all on the new box, and simply downloaded the corporate version. Good job Microsoft, drive actual buyers of your DRM-laden ***** to piracy.

Do we really want to see Apple go farther down this road? Think before you answer.

I installed XP on a wintel laptop and kind of liked it. Liked it... till I needed to swap out the DVD module for a floppy drive to copy a spreadsheet for a co-worker. Both windows xp and office xp went into "Reduced Functionality" mode until I reactivated the software because of a significant system change!!!!!!:confused:

Putting a floppy drive in your computer is significant??? Jeezus!
That night I went back to my old and pretty reliable win2k that night and Xp sits in a box in my closet. Bleah!!

I much prefer my :apple:

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
If I ever see OS X with a product key on the back, I will be pissed. As a long time patron that has gladly paid for all of my software, the thing that keeps me buying this stuff in particular is how free and easy using it is, especially just getting it installed. I don't want some godawful online activation scheme like Windows does. I don't want my OS to have an expiry date until I go through the rigmarole of licensing it, thus hardwiring it to that one computer.

This much is certain: If Apple creates a DRM activation scheme for OS X, they will lose an unbelievable amount of business. If they care about their bottom line, they will not bother.

That said, Apple is notorious for throwing millions of patents at the wall to see which one sticks, so this could just mean nothing, and be little more than some afterthought cooked up for future reference.

ahasver

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2004
Jerusalem
omg

I think that's a great idea. I hope something like this comes about soon.

Sometimes you have to wonder if there is something that Apple could do that wouldn't get somebody here to state here "great idea can't wait" even if it is some scheme that charges an extra 5 bucks for every hour you sit in front of your mac. :cool:

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
The automatic shutdown ability makes sense - it would be a nice little touch. As for the piracy-fighting measures, good luck with that - it's an uphill battle to say the least. Personally, I respect Apple's current "honor system" when it comes to their software and do not take advantage of it.

Ultimately I think that's the best anti-piracy measure you can have. Make quality software that's well-priced, and trust your users to do the right thing.

I completely agree with that.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Have the people saying that this is old or that it has been done for years actually read the patent?

This isn't a simple case of software running on a computer, then shutting it down when an operation is complete. This checks a PERIPHERAL device to make sure that it done what it is supposed to do - so this action isn't even happening on the main computer. The device, such as an iPhone or iPod finishes what it is doing, gets shut down automatically, then the computer is shut down automatically.

This is different enough to warrant its own patent application.

Yes but is an external HD is considered a "PERIPHERAL device"?
If so, then it's been done already. Now, if by "PERIPHERAL device" they mean something that can also work without any computer, that's maybe a different business...

I'm really not a fan of software patents, and neither should you folks.

All it does is stifle the creativity and lead to feature lockout for anyone unwilling or unable to negotiate a patent-share treaty with a given relevant software patent holder. This whole situation already has all the appearance and pleasantness of a minefield about it. There's no reason to add to it. You'd think that Apple, particularly due to their involvement with the FSF/OSS crowd and even the BSD crowd would, one might say, "think different"...

And with regards to DRM'ing their software, well...

Those of us who use Macs are already savvy enough to know something else, both viable and desirable, exists beyond Windows. Don't think we aren't therefore even more "aware" than just of Apple's alternative-to-Windows product offerings.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
This ticks me off. It is the principle I don't agree with. Once I have bought a piece of software, I own it! Agreed, that I should only use it on one computer at one time, but I should be able to install it on as many computers as I like at the same time. I realise there is no way to police this, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the right way. Period.
I don't care what the SLA says, in a truly democratic society, no SLA would hold up in court! My 2 cents.

Rich :cool:

DisturbedLen

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2004
This could be in preparation of releasing OSX on any Intel box. Windows users are used to Product Keys... Just a thought...
:confused:

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
A digital rights management system permits an application owner to cause code to be injected into the application's run-time instruction stream so as to restrict execution of that application to specific hardware platforms. In a first phase, an authorizing entity (e.g., an application owner or platform manufacturer) authorizes one or more applications to execute on a given hardware platform. Later, during application run-time, code is injected that performs periodic checks are made to determine if the application continues to run on the previously authorized hardware platform. If a periodic check fails, at least part of the application's execution string is terminated--effectively rendering the application non-usable. The periodic check is transparent to the user and difficult to circumvent.
Couldn't this just be related to HD-DVD/Blue-Ray?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I own a lot of software. I pay for licence upgrades. I keep my keys secure. I don't like software that has to connect to a server to check the DRM, and I refuse to use software that does periodic connections to the mother ship.

I had a recording product, that I paid for, that did this. When ever I edit media, I don't use the Internet or other software aps. It decided that it had failed too often to check the licence and said I needed to upgrade my licence key- the problem on the day it happened I was working remotely. Lucky for me I had other software solutions available as well as backup hardware.

I do not use software that has to connect to the mother ship more than once for verification. I'll even pay extra for a version that doesn’t need external Internet verification (like those that will work with a USB key). If Apple goes this rout- I may move to another platform.

While I am planning on buying an iMac (hopefully soon), one of the inherent advantages in buying an Intel-based computer is the immediate access to "normal" mainstream releases of the various Linux distros.

In many ways, buying an Intel-based Mac is the ultimate choice.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think the auto shutdown it a neat idea and would be nice in terms of using less power. As for the anti-piracy scheme this I dread in the sense that of is a pain in the ass. I am a huge fan of open source software; however, I still have no problem buying Apple software because ofthe quality. Anti-piracy
methods may not Change the quality of the software the very idea of it bothers me.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
WTH are they THINKING??!?!?!!!!

The other filing, patent application #20070288886, deals with attempts to fight software piracy.

I guess Apple is just on a roll pissing off its customers. With ~10% or so of the overall computer market share, they should NOT be treading down this path.

One has to wonder what is going on behind those closed doors at Cupertino. We've got the ThinkSecret settlement, then Apple going after the Fake Steve Jobs site using intimidation tactics to get it shut down, and now this DRM b.s. UNBELIEVABLE. And WHY isn't the Fake Steve Jobs story on the front page??? It's on [H]ardOCP which isn't even a Mac site.

Here's a nice nugget from The Inquirer on the DRM debacle.....

TOYMAKER Apple has decided that Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage is so wonderful that it is trying to patent something similar.
Apple have been doing wonderful things this year to really miff its loyal fan base and it seems it wanted to close the year by nicking the thing that annoys even the most loyal Microsoft user.
The outfit has updated the patent application it calls "Run-time Code Injection to Perform Checks".
This patent tells the story of how Apple boffins invented the idea of a digital rights management system that could restrict use of an application to specific hardware platforms.
Apparently, the software phones home for an authenticity check.
If the software is pirated then Jobs Mob shall deem the software unworthy in its sight and make it unusable.
Currently, Apple does not dabble in the area of DRM-style security and would be well advised to stay away from it. After all WGA is one of the main reasons that people have stayed away from Vista.
It seems that Apple has been concentrating on its Iphone and Ipod gadgets so much that it has failed to notice that Microsoft got prior art on DRM that stuffs up the operating system and annoys the user.

Less than 80 posts on this subject so far, yet the polling on the front page has no less than 209 "negatives" assigned to it.

Take the hint, Apple. We all know you read these forums to get the pulse of the consumer. Don't pull a Micro$oft. You would be well advised to dump this patent, or at the very least forget all about it.

Geeze......... the people at Apple need to PUT DOWN THE IPHONES AND GADGETS and concentrate on the damn computers for once. :rolleyes: How about getting the Mac Pro out the door?????? And try not to screw up the video card options. :rolleyes:

Of course this nuisance of a patent could shut down applications if someone were to put in a non-Apple blessed video card because they want a more powerful option.

Unbelievable, Apple. Unbelievable. :mad::mad::mad:

This new DRM patent is absolute garbage and I too would run back to the comforts of MS if it ever was put in place.
If enacted, I can imagine not being able to upgrade my RAM (let alone the hard drive) on my new macbook without getting 'approval' from Apple first.
Here's hoping this patent never sees the light of day and remains locked away in some filing cabinet.

I would never say that DRM is a good idea, however your comment here is quite foolish.

You'd rather run back to the warm and protective arms of Microsoft? Are you nuts? You'd rather choose an OS with massive DRM built into it, and massive DRM enablement built into it, AND one with all the bugs, holes, security gaffs, bloat, etc., etc. than one with DRM but none of those other issues?

I guess Apple is just on a roll pissing off its customers. With ~10% or so of the overall computer market share, they should NOT be treading down this path.

One has to wonder what is going on behind those closed doors at Cupertino. We've got the ThinkSecret settlement, then Apple going after the Fake Steve Jobs site using intimidation tactics to get it shut down, and now this DRM b.s. UNBELIEVABLE. And WHY isn't the Fake Steve Jobs story on the front page??? It's on [H]ardOCP which isn't even a Mac site.

Here's a nice nugget from The Inquirer on the DRM debacle.....

Less than 80 posts on this subject so far, yet the polling on the front page has no less than 209 "negatives" assigned to it.

Take the hint, Apple. We all know you read these forums to get the pulse of the consumer. Don't pull a Micro$oft. You would be well advised to dump this patent, or at the very least forget all about it.

Geeze......... the people at Apple need to PUT DOWN THE IPHONES AND GADGETS and concentrate on the damn computers for once. :rolleyes: How about getting the Mac Pro out the door?????? And try not to screw up the video card options. :rolleyes:

Of course this nuisance of a patent could shut down applications if someone were to put in a non-Apple blessed video card because they want a more powerful option.

Unbelievable, Apple. Unbelievable. :mad::mad::mad:

Well, I understand your concern, but don't you think we should see something just a little bit more definitive on Apple's actual intended usage of this before we go on a hell-bent-for-leather rampage against them? Believe me, if Apple does go down the "dark path" I'll be the first to decry them and champion whatever causes become necessary at that point. But given Steve's track record, don't you think he's earned (at least for the moment) the benefit of the doubt?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.