Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Other engines = security issues on the platform + tracking.
Typical automatic deflection of the real scale of this issue.
Just ditch EU market, oversaturate neighbour countries and watch how they quickly take all their demands back after europeans had to gray import Apple for couple years.
People have been calling Apple to ditch EU since who knows when. Guess what happened in the last decade or even before that. Wonder why there is no action yet. Hmmm…🧐
To spread harmful apps and pirated games.

99,9% of people don’t need it. But it seems EU is hell bent on turning iOS into Android like cesspool if garbage and there is no stopping them.
All social media apps are harmful apps. Games stealing other assets to create are pretty much pirated games. Both of which exist in droves in TODAY’s locked down App Store with no sign of improving. EU bending Apple to their will can actually force Apple to know how they can operate, which I support.
And they will still be buying, but on gray market for x1.5 price. This will quickly make them push their authorities to retract demands. Demand for Apple tech isn't dropping when Apple pulls out.
You will be absolutely amazed on how adaptive europeans are in terms of smartphones. They are not going to lose sleep over missing access to iPhone.

Last edited:

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Dumb legal argument, but honestly do we want to live in a world completely dominated by Chromium?
Of course not, but sadly Safari is pretty bad as is. Not long ago, the webkit development pace got called out by the web dev community. Fast forward to today, you'd think they've actually improved it.

• Haha
Reactions: strongy

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
"Dear readers, there really are 3 Safaris so your criticism isn't justified. Your'e just interpreting this wrong."

"Courage is needed to interpret this correctly."

(couldn't resist...)

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
I find it amusing that you are actually pretending for people to be limited to an inferior engine, thats the best Apple can come up with? I guess it shows, yea.

Some of us doesn't want the web to be an application platform, but wants native applications.
Everything which makes the web worse for applications are a good thing.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I honestly don’t really care. A majority of people use Chrome on all of their platforms. They aren’t blocked just not the default browser.

Not exactly. At least within Apple’s ecosystem, except for the macs, people are using a “google chrome” that isn’t really google chrome because devs are forced to use Apple’s webkit, whose backbone is actually Safari. In other words, google chrome in iOS and iPadOS is just apple’s own Safari disguised as google chrome, not the actual google chrome.

Reactions: arkitect

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
If you used other browsers you would know.
I actually use it, Firefox, Edge and Chrome. Personally I stick with Safari for MOST of my browsing. For other work related things that tend to prefer "chromium", I'll use those for that. And Firefox if either of the others acts weird. Some pages just don't load right (off center, or not showing the whole page properly). So I tend to find a browser that works best if any of them are off target if you will. But, for the most part. I use Safari the most. The most tabs open in it, and my first go to browser. On Windows it's Google Chrome. Then Firefox THEN Edge. Cause M$ just knows how to mess up a good dream.

Reactions: missingar

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Some of us doesn't want the web to be an application platform, but wants native applications.
Everything which makes the web worse for applications are a good thing.
Sure, let's kill Safari web dev support, which is as bad as it can be already & then complain devs target Chromium forks. Good one.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I usually am on the side of the EU, but I find this to be pretty short sighted. Breaking the Apple "monopoly" in this case is just going to replace it with a Google one for the entire internet. That being said, Apple's argument here is ridiculous.

Reactions: FitzZic

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
You will be absolutely amazed on how adaptive europeans are in terms of smartphones. They are not going to lose sleep over missing access to iPhone.
This kind of speaks volumes in favor of Apple leaving the market in the EU. If no one is going to lose sleep over it. Then no need to sell any iPhones in the EU. Seems like everyone would win then. Apple can go kick rocks in flip flops. And peddle their phones in neighboring non-EU countries. Those that want it can get it via the black market or from overseas. I'm sure the market for it will be small. And the EU will not care.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
People whining that this will destroy iPhone and then turn around and use their completely open Mac
The difference is the user base, and the potential ease of acces to privacy relevant information for nefarious actors and bad governments. Totally different. Also, and this is a big one: if people are not careful with what they install, they might be giving away information about ME. Bank accounts, contact info, meetings, locations… everything where I have interacted (digitally) with others. THAT is what I’m bothered about.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Google’s stranglehold of web browser technology will be complete once EU forces Apple to allow third party engines on iPhone. At the moment, Safari is the only real world alternative for Google’s technology.

Google will release native Chromium, and Chrome and Edge will start using it.

Well done, EU, especially when they are doing this to “foster innovation and competition” 😂

EU is delusional if they think that new web browser engines will emerge because of this. They do not emerge even now; not for Windows, not for Mac, not for Android. Even Microsoft gave up the development of their own because it’s insanely complex.

I find it amusing that MacRumours forum members are actually rooting for this.
Firefox user here.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Bwahaha in would love to sit by in one of these Apple crisis meetings and laugh out loud, and watch Tim Cook getting pale.

We need one of these funny hitler movie parodies for this “Apple vs EU”.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
Just ditch EU market, oversaturate neighbour countries and watch how they quickly take all their demands back after europeans had to gray import Apple for couple years.
Apple sales in EU are ~100 billion USD. That’s 25% of total sales World wide. Tim and team would fly out of office at the next shareholders meeting latest, if they lose 25% market in one night. Apple share would drop the same 25% or more.

Do you have other brilliant ideas?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.