Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

beats.png
Apple is asking music labels to cut prices on music streaming subscription services so that it can offer its new, revamped Beats Music service for less than $10 a month, reports Re/code. The Cupertino company is also looking to add new features to the service.
Sources say Apple is talking to the big music labels about a new set of rights and features it would like to include in a revamped version of the Beats Music service it bought earlier this year. Among the things Apple wants is a new pricing structure that would allow it to sell the service for less than the $10 level it's at now.
Apple isn't planning on overhauling Beats Music until next year, and discussions with music labels are in early stages. In late September, it was rumored that Apple was planning on introducing a revamped Beats Music in early February, presumably timed to debut alongside the Grammy Awards on February 8.

The company has tried to undercut competitors with music rates before, trying to pay half the royalty rate that Pandora paid while in negotiations for what would become iTunes Radio in early 2013.

Re/code notes that music executives were once worried about streaming services cannibalizing CD music sales but eventually agreed to deals with streaming services, which some music industry observers feel is priced too high as the market for consumers who want to pay $10 a month to stream music is limited. In August, a report from Midia Research suggested only 25 percent of consumers pay $10 for music every three months.

Article Link: Apple Asking Music Labels to Cut Prices on Music Streaming Subscriptions

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Yeah, I’d like it to be cheaper, but at the same time I don’t want Apple to go to war with labels over pricing. Especially since that would most likely affect the artists the most financially, at least the one’s that can’t really tour, and then the quality of the music available would decrease. Kinda like what Amazon is doing with books. And I don’t support that.

PS8409

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
You all need to watch Artifcact about 30 Sec to Mars. Very eye opening and sorta depressing. After the movie I bought two of their songs lol if you like it buy it!

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Asking the music labels to cut their subscription prices? Wow. And with a straight face! Apple has some cojones.

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
It is getting worse although I still make a pretty substantial amount from iTunes worldwide. That being said, TV is my real bread and butter.

But things are slowly getting worse for bands-musicians-songwriters-producers-studios and so on.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
It's zero or bust for me.

I'd only play music that's not in my library already to discover new music or trial listen to some.

If you find an international, maybe iTunes Match-covered model, I'll be on it and take advantage of this so hyped curation feature of Beats Music that Tim Cook has been so fond of. After all it will generate sales if I like the so relevant music? ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

gate5blues

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Streaming Model Screws Artists

Honestly, most streaming services are already only paying artists just more than 1 penny a play... That means you as a listener would have to listen to that song 70 times to give the artist even close to the 70 cents they make on 99 cent download today.

Take a look at your iTunes play count for the most popular song in your library and you'll get a good idea of why this is bad for the artists... and ultimately the Listener and Apple (if they aren't paying artists well).

I know many artists who are starting to shun the streaming model for services such as BandCamp and are ultimately making more money because of it...

Apple, please don't undercut artists. Pay them what they are worth and value the arts.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I think there are opportunities in making a streaming service that pays more, not less. Wouldn't musicians be more inclined to sell their music on channels where they make more money, including releasing first, exclusives etc. I think so.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
The idea of Music labels is so antiquated. Music creators shouldn't need labels anymore. They are worthless middlemen.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The idea of Music labels is so antiquated. Music creators shouldn't need labels anymore. They are worthless middlemen.

You underestimate the work, skill and money needed to successfully record and launch an artist. You may be a great artist, but suck at the administrative part, having someone taking care of that for you enables you to concentrate on exactly what you are good at.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Honestly, most streaming services are already only paying artists just more than 1 penny a play... That means you as a listener would have to listen to that song 70 times to give the artist even close to the 70 cents they make on 99 cent download today.

Some people like me listen to music a lot more now that they've got a streaming subscription. I started out on Pandora in college, graduated up to Spotify and now I'm on Rdio. I'm not going to buy a song unless I plan on listening to it way more than 70 times—which means that I didn't buy a lot of songs. But repeating many of the same playlists while at work and in the car I'm sure I get close to that for many songs over a year. Over several years I'm sure that they make more. How much of a cut is the record label giving them of thst 70 cents? Also, I'm not sure if iTunes play counts include playback on iPhones, etc?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Pandora one is 4.99$ a month.
Step it up apple. You have BILLIONS.

$2/month and I'll sign up.

KernelG

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Honestly, most streaming services are already only paying artists just more than 1 penny a play...

Most pay out fractions of pennies, actually.

We wrote off streaming profits long ago. We have to think of it as promo, the way terrestrial radio promotes sales. (Though if can get good airplay on terrestrial, songwriters & publishers can make good money, but the income comparison there is also apples/oranges.)

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
It still boggles my mind when people justify illegal downloading because of how much money the label takes. Sure it's bad, but I'd rather have the artist get something than literally nothing.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
It still boggles my mind when people justify illegal downloading because of how much money the label takes. Sure it's bad, but I'd rather have the artist get something than literally nothing.

I can't think of any music worth downloading illegally. :D

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
You underestimate the work, skill and money needed to successfully record and launch an artist. You may be a great artist, but suck at the administrative part, having someone taking care of that for you enables you to concentrate on exactly what you are good at.

Lot of other founders hire administrative and financial support too . They just don't take over their client and throw them pennies to the dollar.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
So the artists will get f***ked over even more, as the music + streaming companies rake it in. Brilliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.