Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Everyone who is saying Apple is going to wait as long as possible in July to release Lion:

Remember that they aren't shipping anymore hardware until after Lion is released. The MP, Mac Mini, MB, and MBA are all overdue for refreshes. Why would they wait longer than they have to? They already have the GM version. There's no need to manufacture thousands of DVDs since its via digital download. And I highly doubt they will let the application approval process for 3rd party apps slow down the release.

So unless there are significant issues with the GM release of Lion, I still am expecting Lion this week, or next week at the very latest.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Previous OS X release dates:

10.1 September 25, 2001
10.2 August 23, 2002
10.3 October 24, 2003
10.4 April 29, 2005
10.5 October 26, 2007
10.6 August 28, 2009

Notice anything? .

10.1 September 25, 2001 Tuesday
10.2 August 23, 2002 Friday
10.3 October 24, 2003 Friday
10.4 April 29, 2005 Friday
10.5 October 26, 2007 Friday
10.6 August 28, 2009 Friday

Assuming a symmetrical pattern, with 10.4 as the midpoint, I'd say Lion's apparently not coming out until a Tuesday in September! I predict Tuesday, Sept. 20 or 27. :( ;)

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Oh please, drop the elitism. You could've answered his question without breaking NDA, simply by citing stuff Apple has shown at WWDC or at the Back to the Mac event.

Fullscreen apps and versions are 2 prominent examples that have been publicly displayed where developers will need to rewrite some parts of their applications and submit them in time to get support on launch day.

Quoted cause it's the first post of yours that is actually good. Very good infact. And I've read a lot of your posts. So well done.

And I agree with your point. But people don't follow NDA's out of respect for the NDA. People follow them out of fear of being sued if they break the NDA.

Previous OS X release dates:

10.1 September 25, 2001
10.2 August 23, 2002
10.3 October 24, 2003
10.4 April 29, 2005
10.5 October 26, 2007
10.6 August 28, 2009
Going by that, then 20, 21, 22, 27 is still available to use as a date.
Or could be a friday. 29th and 22nd fit the Friday pattern.

Last edited:

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
For those who are concerned about upgrading: If you don't already have one, go buy an external USB or FW hard drive that is greater-than or equal to the size of your current drive.

Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to that drive. And then upgrade to Lion on your local hard drive or the external (depending on your appetite for risk). I would upgrade the local drive, and use the external as a backup.

Either way, when you are done and comfortable with Lion, you can wipe the external and use it for Time Machine. Or whatever. It will give you piece of mind and a good way to try Lion before committing to it, safely.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Or just go into Lion cold turkey. And learn to use it. Why stay using yesterday's OS when today's one exists. I say keep a backup just incase the install screws up. But use 10.7 as soon as possible. So you can get used to the 10.7 way of doing things.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
No.

If Apple is going to release it on Thursday, the announcement from Apple will occur on Thursday.

Would be cool/smart to announce the release a few days before it goes on sale and have a countdown timer like Apple used to do for major releases/milestones. So maybe announce it on Thursday and have a countdown until Tuesday or something like that.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Not really, the final would eventually be leaked and available for download.

Anyway I think the Lion app submission is a good sign, it probably means the release will be very soon.. I'm hoping for next week.

Yes but you would still have to do a clean install! :eek:

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Technically, Apple will have to ship 10.7.0 to customers to make it real - until then, it actually is vaporware. ;)

That's not the definition of vaporware. In general, vaporware is a product that company claims it's working but it never shows a preview to customers and no ship date is given.

This was a tactic that Microsoft and IBM used to employ back in the 1980s and 1990s. They would announce that they were working on a piece of software and show a few glossy pictures of it. However, they wouldn't give any indication as to a release date, and in many cases, they ended up not even shipping it. It was a tactic designed to intimidate competitors into shelving their software development plans.

By this definition, Windows 8 is vaporware. All we have seen is a graphical overlay of it. We have not seen it demoed in person. No timeline for release has been given.

Lion is not vaporware. Even back in October, we actually saw it demoed in person. Also, a clear release timeline was given.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
That's not the definition of vaporware. In general, vaporware is a product that company claims it's working but it never shows a preview to customers and no ship date is given.

This was a tactic that Microsoft and IBM used to employ back in the 1980s and 1990s. They would announce that they were working on a piece of software and show a few glossy pictures of it. However, they wouldn't give any indication as to a release date, and in many cases, they ended up not even shipping it. It was a tactic designed to intimidate competitors into shelving their software development plans.

By this definition, Windows 8 is vaporware. All we have seen is a graphical overlay of it. We have not seen it demoed in person. No timeline for release has been given.

Lion is not vaporware. Even back in October, we actually saw it demoed in person. Also, a clear release timeline was given.

Windows 8 is slated for October next year.... Just saying

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
It´s so silly.... a new Apple product is comming and every week there is a new rumor till the lucky winner can scream i guessed right.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Any further news/rumour on being able to virtualise 10.6 ? As an academic I have a lot of legacy scientific software that Lion won't run...

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Looks like Apple are getting their own apps in order - latest updates to iLife '11 bring full screen support under Lion to GarageBand, iPhoto and iMovie (but not iWeb or iDVD). Hope Aperture is also updated soon.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Looks like Apple are getting their own apps in order - latest updates to iLife '11 bring full screen support under Lion to GarageBand, iPhoto and iMovie (but not iWeb or iDVD). Hope Aperture is also updated soon.

um, Aperture already runs full screen. Press 'F'

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC

I remember the vaporware days, and it applied to software or hardware that did not exist. I don't think that a rumored updated version of an existing product, such as Windows, qualifies as vaporware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.