Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lina87

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Hours can be limited with Arise for this company but they do have phone and chat support. It's an IC position, training is unpaid and you have to pay for training. I work D*sney for Arise and have for about 5 years. Still doing it part-time along with FT :apple:

Last edited:

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
so i feel i have a decent cover letter, but i haven't been contacted yet
is there something wrong with my cover?

Hello,
My name is name and I am very interested in this opportunity. I am 25 years old and last year I took the biggest step of my life, I moved to the States from England and married my amazing wife. I completed high school and then progressed to a two year program in English and Film, earning my A-Levels- these being the equivalent to an Associates Degree. I am currently employed with an Apple Reseller called company. It is here that I use my years of customer service and technical knowledge to help customers with any queries they may have. I am also studying to become an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician and will be taking the exams as soon as possible. In other words, when I can afford it. Previously, I worked for company in a customer service role. The main objective was to successfully assist customers with any enquiries they might have. This allowed me to demonstrate how customer-orientated I am. That's my passion. Simply put, I feel happy when I help someone out of a tricky situation. This job was rewarding in the abilities it taught me, particularly problem solving skills and the ability to cross sell. Before that, I worked as an administrative assistant for four, yes four, demanding bosses at company. To say that I am a master at multi-tasking is an understatement. Everyday I filed, answered phone calls (frequently relieving others during their breaks), edited drafts, delivered documents throughout the large building, handled with care personal errands for my employers and managing their schedules. I am an Apple enthusiast of ten years now and have good knowledge of various software (Adobe, Office, iWorks). I am looking for a job that would allow me to interact with people and help with their problems, demand my excellent communication and technical skills and push me to do more than my best. Furthermore, I am as flexible as it comes in terms of work hours. If there are hours available, I'm the guy. I am an extremely quick learner and a team player, so no matter if I do not know how to do something, I will pick it up fast and do it great. Thank you in advance for all your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you. Again, thank you.

Very Best,
name

abananas

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013

A cover letter should never be an essay about why they should hire. A short 1 or 2 paragraphs (3-4 sentences) that highlight your skills and convince a recruiter to look at your resume. Be direct and skip the bells, they belong in the resume.

DaisyB

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013

I also feel that it's kind of wordy. Instead, break it up into paragraphs. When I see a wall of text, I end up skimming it. GL

There are tons of articles on how to write a cover letter online. Google it.

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
redo

Dear Recruiter,
I have three passions in life. Apple, customer service and pizza. Those first two things are why I am perfect for this position. And well, if Apple ever decides to open a pizzeria, the third becomes relevant too. I'm known for my excellent customer service, technical and communication skills, and pushing myself to do more than my best. And, ahem, eating pizza in abundance. Furthermore, I am as flexible as it comes in terms of work hours. Please consider me for this position. Thank you in advance for all your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

Very Best,
name

TheHibernian

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013

I don't remember if I wrote a cover letter or not. If I did, it was probably about as long as your revised version. It would have referenced a customer service background and so forth, making sure that the scanning software would notice the keywords.

Once a cover letter gets noticed by the robots, a person may very well take a look at it. And this is where I don't really know what to say. You've put the service stuff in there and whatnot, which is probably good.

The whole pizza thing just comes across as weird to me (and somewhat stupid). Quite a few people at Apple are beyond weird to me (and somewhat stupid) though, so take that for what it's worth. Maybe they'll think you're a super groovy Apple type. Maybe they'll think you're some kind of dork with an eating disorder. It typically depends on which individual reads your application and, as much as we'd like to think there's a science behind it, this is really about the luck of the draw.

abananas

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013

You should really consider looking at some examples that have been posted online. There are great websites that help with giving the general idea of a cover letter and resume.

You strike me as a little young, keep in mind that Apple is looking for a long term employee who has technical knowledge as well as personality. Not so much personality that they are going to go into some weird tangent about pizzerias, but the kind of personality that is going to know how to empathize with the customer as well as the needs of the company.

Cover letters and resumes are used to ensure the recruiter that you meet the most basic needs of the company. Proper spelling, format, language, and attitude are what a recruiter is going to pinpoint while looking over your resume. Once you make contact with a human being, let your personality flow...but maybe not as strongly as you have in this forum :eek:

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
hey guys
update:
got a call monday about 6 pm (eastern) from a recruiter, was asked about my background, customer service experiences, what ram is, and the difference between pop3 and imap.
got a facetime interview on friday afternoon. hourly was quoted as $14.50
oh, and she said she loved the cover letter. her words were something like 'your cover letter stood out from the rest'

BwhittAker

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
I have my second interview tomorrow via FaceTime , I have a small issue though when I applied for the job back in September I was in a different state, they offer the same job in the city and state I am in now. I wonder if that is going to be an issue?

DaisyB

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
I have my second interview tomorrow via FaceTime , I have a small issue though when I applied for the job back in September I was in a different state, they offer the same job in the city and state I am in now. I wonder if that is going to be an issue?

As long as it doesn't say anything about the 100 mile rule in the job description, you should be fine. Just be up front with the interviewer about it and I don't think it will be an issue.

BwhittAker

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
As long as it doesn't say anything about the 100 mile rule in the job description, you should be fine. Just be up front with the interviewer about it and I don't think it will be an issue.

I appreciate the feedback! Second interview went great! Let them know about me relocating and they did not have an issue ! Said if I went through the whole process that I would be in the Jan.13th class.

shaolin1

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
I thought I used to have an acct here but I guess not... I have one on every other forum known to man lol...

Anyway, I'll be starting in the Nov 25 class. Anyone else starting that date?

Hey Jessica I'm Douglas and I will be in that class as well!

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
Leaving Apple..

Well folks, after working for a little over a year for Apple,
I and handing in my two-week notice to leave for a position at another company.

Before you cry traitor, let me give you my honest thoughts on everything:

!. Advancement is VERY hard to come by, even for top performers.
- Being an AHA for a year, I have been pretty much on the top of my game.
I kept high metrics and and excelled in the Tier 2 Backfill role with a 100% CSTAT. Doing very well with performance, I was told by several managers that it was not a matter of if I was going to T2 but when. As we got to backfill for T2, we were told they were keeping the top performers around 10-50 advisors.
This was even told to me by an Area Manager as well. Be a rock star and you will get to stay T2. Well.... We just got word last week that our rotation is ending early and NO ONE is staying as T2. EVERYONE has to go back to T1. As this was my exit strategy for T1, I seen no way to get out of the pit. Due to some special skills that I possess, I was told that I had a chance to go the interface development team possibly. When I decided to email the person in charge of the team, I was told that I needed to be T2 and start doing QA rotationals.....

2. If you live close to one of the main corp. offices, life if great...
Otherwise, if you are an AHA, it will be hard for you to move to a different position without moving or flying to Austin or CA for the next position interview.

I'm saying all of this because I don't hate my job. Actually, I love what I do...
However, being stuck in the same position without knowing if you will ever get to move up is difficult and pay is not best if you don't live in a bigger area.

This is the reality of the position. Non-Sugar Coated....

The benefits are great, the management are great, your coworkers are great, however advancement is nonexistent....and at the end of the day... It's still a call center job.

I'll still be on the board to help out and answer questions from time to time.

Last edited:

Hypnotc

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013

I kept high metrics and and excelled in the Tier 2 Backfill role with a 100% CSTAT. Doing very well with performance, I was told by several managers that it was not a matter of if I was going to T2 but when. As we got to backfill for T2, we were told they were keeping the top performers around 10-50 advisors.
This was even told to me by an Area Manager as well. Be a rock star and you will get to stay T2. Well.... We just got word last week that our rotation is ending early and NO ONE is staying as T2. EVERYONE has to go back to T1. As this was my exit strategy for T1, I seen no way to get out of the pit. Due to some special skills that I possess, I was told that I had a chance to go the interface development team possibly. When I decided to email the person in charge of the team, I was told that I needed to be T2 and start doing QA rotationals.....

Otherwise, if you are an AHA, it will be hard for you to move to a different position without moving or flying to Austin or CA for the next position interview.

I'm saying all of this because I hate my job. Actually, I love what I do...
However, being stuck in the same position without knowing if you will ever get to move up is difficult and pay is not best if you don't live in a bigger area.

The benefits are great, the management are great, your coworkers are great, however advancement is nonexistent....and at the end of the day... It's still a call center job.

If the new position is a Tier 2/QA position, then congrats. If it's a similar position to AHA T1, then you might be overreacting to having your dreams temporarily crushed. Here's a cautionary tale, from my recent history:

I worked T1 for a Electronic Medical Records software company. There was another tech, a friend of mine, who was equally skilled.... but a little more quiet about his role. As a result, 3 months in I was the first to get bumped into Tier 2... he hated life but grinded it out. The company decides to look into IPad mobile apps, and he has a background in programming/development. He gets overlooked for the pilot/beta testing for me.

In less than a year, I went from new guy on the phones, to writing most of the KBase/SOP articles for the company, working on their pilot IPad app and working with Tier 2 to be promoted there once the IPad app was released and R&D no longer needed me. My friend hated the company for it privately, since he was equally (if not more) skilled than me, but never said anything publically and kept grinding away.

A week before the beta testing ends, my manager (who I loved) gets fired because she was remote and the company decided to terminate all remote employees to keep everyone centralized around their corporate office. Her replacement was her suboordinate (my supervisor) at the time, who hated my guts because of a dumb HR glitch that said the manager was my direct report (whereas she was the direct report for every other new hire in my class).

Basically, for the whole year, I got to tell her no a lot because I was working on other projects and not taking calls. She was worried that maybe I was her soon-to-be replacement or something (even though I said in multiple performance reviews/meetings that I had ZERO interest in management and was only looking to gain knowledge and move up the technical chain... Tier 2/QA/etc).

I called out sick on a Monday and she lied and said she never received a call. Marked me as a no-call/no-show, and because I had a couple previous attendance marks, I was terminated. I had a chance to defend myself, but since she'd been with the company for 10 years+ (and was only a supervisor lol), they took her side over mine.

A month later, a QA job opens up for double the salary of what I was making. My buddy, who just grinded it out and kept posting solid numbers without publically showing his disapproval, got the position and now makes way more than what I do as an AHA lol.

Moral of the story: Things may not always work out when you want them to, but hard work pays off in the end..... eventually :). Good luck going forward and thanks for the review of the job :).

BeachedYankee

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Hey guys, pretty interested in an AHA positions just wondering if any of you could shed some light on how they verify your workspace is up to their specifications.

I saw mention on an earlier post of having to send pictures, is that it? Just a picture once or is it more indepth than that. Not that I think I would have any issues maintaining the correct workspace but just really wouldn't be keen on having random inspections from my employer either.

Thanks for any info!

abananas

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Any AHA Maps hold overs hear anything yet? I have checked the website a few times and my app is still locked so I can't get to it. Getting more nervous as December approaches.

WelshDog

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Austin
Hey guys, pretty interested in an AHA positions just wondering if any of you could shed some light on how they verify your workspace is up to their specifications.

I saw mention on an earlier post of having to send pictures, is that it? Just a picture once or is it more indepth than that. Not that I think I would have any issues maintaining the correct workspace but just really wouldn't be keen on having random inspections from my employer either.

Thanks for any info!

You send them pictures and detailed measurements. They tell you how to do it - not hard but you will need another person to help you measure the distances. They are pretty serious about all this, but no one comes to your house.

sybau

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Sure, I am corporate, not student, but the position for all intents and purposes work-wise are the same.

It is customer service and warranty technical support with a focus on compassionate customer service. Dealing with everything from How-to's to my device is broken and helping them go over options for repair, or referring them to the correct group for issues not within your scope. The customers in general are fairly happy, at least in my experience on the CPU end, because they know apple's reputation for great customer service. Very few truly irate or unmanageable callers.

edit: And yes, the training is 4-6 weeks full time which for students they schedule for dates you shouldn't have classes. I've heard they are great at working with student schedules.

This is basically the most accurate post here

T2 iOS canada

----------

I'm saying all of this because I hate my job. Actually, I love what I do...

This explaina why you guys down south have been so cranky. I get escalations about the new itunes t1 all the time and I believe they are all coming from t2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.