Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Curved anything most like it...

It its a curved shape,, Apple wants it....

To curved touch sensors to match the "curved phone" haha..

I got a better idea. stay away from the hurd...... that's different....

I just wish the term "Think different" actually means something now-a-days.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
With curved smartphones coming out from Samsung, LG, and who knows else, I'm curious to know whether they are infringing or otherwise licensing this patent.

License, innovate, or simply infringe, right?

apacheflex

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
San Francisco, CA
iWatch anyone?

This is so funny! I heard since day 1 that Apple hired Adobe's CTO Kevin Lynch as VP Technology for a hush hush watch product, now this patent. Well, we know where they got the idea from, check out this 3 years old video from Adobe for Flash: http://vimeo.com/7351777

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

Almost certainly.

Look at how much wrangling Apple have done over the iPhone's screen size; they're not just going to slap a curved display on it just because marketing says it's a differentiator.

That's just not how Apple rolls. If it doesn't make sense, they don't do it. When was the last time Apple came out with a product that didn't make sense?

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Almost certainly.

Look at how much wrangling Apple have done over the iPhone's screen size; they're not just going to slap a curved display on it just because marketing says it's a differentiator.

That's just not how Apple rolls. If it doesn't make sense, they don't do it. When was the last time Apple came out with a product that didn't make sense?

The new Mac Pro being a cylinder. Totally nonsensical.

But you're not wrong. This curved screen thing will not be on an iPhone. It may be on a iWatch. I doubt it'll be on a magic mouse since Apple wants everyone to use a touchpad now.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
The new Mac Pro being a cylinder. Totally nonsensical.

The cylinder design makes sense - it's part of the thermal architecture of the machine. This allows the machine to be much more efficient at cooling, which in turn allows it to be smaller and quieter; similarly-specced machines are much larger and louder.

Close. It's thin glass with a circuit pattern on it before it's molded into a curved shape.

Which begs the question of how everyone else does it now. Just bend it? Add the circuit pattern after molding? Use another method than annealing?

They tend to use plastic rather than glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.