Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imessage_not_delivered_crop.jpg
Apple is aware of a glitch in iOS 7 that is disrupting iMessage delivery and is working on a fix, reports The Wall Street Journal.
"We are aware of an issue that affects a fraction of a percent of our iMessage users, and we will have a fix available in an upcoming software update," Apple said in a statement. "In the meantime, we encourage any users having problems to reference our troubleshooting documents or contact AppleCare to help resolve their issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes impacted users."
Since the release of iOS 7 last month, users have been complaining about issues relating to the sending and receiving of iMessages on their iOS devices. While some users have also complained about multi-day outages on their devices, Apple's System Status page hasn't documented all of them, suggesting that something more than a simple service problem is at fault.

As MacRumors reported yesterday, some users have reported that turning their iOS devices on and off has fixed their problem while others have claimed the method has not worked for them. In our own testing with a device experiencing difficulties, the following steps appear to have fixed the issue (Note: this will cause your device to forget previously entered Wi-fi passwords):

1. Turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages
2. Reset networking settings in Settings > General > Reset
3. Reenable iMessage in Settings > Messages

Last week Apple released iOS 7.0.2, which was an update that delivered several bug fixes, including a fix for a lock screen vulnerability. Earlier today it was reported that Apple had begun seeding iOS 7.0.3 internally ahead of a potential launch next week.

Article Link: Apple Aware of iOS 7 iMessage Issue, Working on a Fix

yuenadan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Taipei, Taiwan
I was having this issue after upgrading to iOS 7. Really annoying too, since it didn't actually warn you that the message wasn't delivered, instead it would just get stuck on sending the message.

Thankfully the last update seems to have fixed it, at least for me.

reiggin

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Concord, NC
"A fraction of a percent" my ass! I've been having this issue on and off since upgrading. I've spoken with others who have encountered it. It's been reported here on macrumors several times by many, many people. They're downplaying it a bit too much to say it's a fraction of a percent... unless they mean a large fraction of a large percent.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Apples in bed (& has been for years) with the NYT & Wall St Journal. It's getting awfully old. The monetary exchange must be staggering. Otherwise they'd spread the leaks around so some others could report these things.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
"A fraction of a percent" my ass! I've been having this issue on and off since upgrading. I've spoken with others who have encountered it. It's been reported here on macrumors several times by many, many people. They're downplaying it a bit too much to say it's a fraction of a percent... unless they mean a large fraction of a large percent.

You have to understand that if there are 100,000,000 people with iMessages and 500,000 people have the issue, thats only .5% of people experiencing it. 500,000 people is a lot of people that have the problem, but out of the total amount of users, its almost nothing.

My girlfriend, myself and a dozen others (family and friends) are not experiencing this issue. So I don't think its a matter of downplaying it, more so that only a fraction of people are experiencing it.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
A "fraction" of a percent? I have this problem. My girlfriend has this problem. My co-workers have seen this problem. My best friend has encountered this problem.

Either that is some crazy odds or it's a little more than a fraction of a percent :rolleyes:

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Had this problem for the first time tonight (iPhone 4S). No trouble on my iPad yet. After doing the Network reset and reentering my home wifi info, I noticed that the phone jumped sporadically between Wifi and 3g, even when I'm standing 6 feet from the router. After an hour, still not holding the wifi connection. Not sure yet if Messages is working reliably.

UPDATE: An hour after applying this fix, six Messages from earlier in the day have shown up all at once. Funny, however, that I had been receiving Messages from this person most of the day before this evening's jam up, just not all of the messages. It looks like the missing messages were temporally interspersed with the ones I did receive.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
A "fraction" of a percent? I have this problem. My girlfriend has this problem. My co-workers have seen this problem. My best friend has encountered this problem.

Either that is some crazy odds or it's a little more than a fraction of a percent :rolleyes:

Check out what I said above. You are playing with huge numbers here, so a fraction of a percent of a huge number can still be a huge number. Therefore, it is entire plausible that only a fraction of a percent are experiencing the issue.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I'm a happy camper on iOS 6. I knew the GM wasn't polished and felt like a beta (to me) so I hopped right off. Will wait a few months until all the kinks are worked out! ;)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
You have to understand that if there are 100,000,000 people with iMessages and 500,000 people have the issue, thats only .5% of people experiencing it. 500,000 people is a lot of people that have the problem, but out of the total amount of users, its almost nothing.

My girlfriend, myself and a dozen others (family and friends) are not experiencing this issue. So I don't think its a matter of downplaying it, more so that only a fraction of people are experiencing it.

It's all semantics. Apple says only a fraction of a percent "are experiencing" the problem. That doesn't mean it doesn't affect a larger percentage of people. But since many of these people might not even use iMessage or have iMessage capable contacts then Apple is probably not counting these people. At the end of the day it seems to be a pretty serious problem for a lot of people that actually use iMessage.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
How about the terrible battery life after upgrading to iOS7? Will there ever be a fix for that?

My iPhone 5 is now getting about 8hrs instead of the usual 10hrs I got with iOS6.:mad:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I've reset network settings for my iPad already (and solved the problem). Every other devices including my rMBP and the iPhone 5s sent and received flawlessly but the iPad 4 couldn't send out any messages.

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
I love how they worded that, "A fraction of a percentage of our users". It doesn't seem like a small number to me. It happened to my mom, quite a few friends, and myself.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
How about the terrible battery life after upgrading to iOS7? Will there ever be a fix for that?

My iPhone 5 is now getting about 8hrs instead of the usual 10hrs I got with iOS6.:mad:

iPhone 5 is quoted to get 8 hours of battery life...

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I ran into this problem starting yesterday. I reset my setting - worked. (But for how long?) Count me as one of those affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.