Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
If I have to pay for screen replacement for my iphone 5 honestly I could buy a new phone with that kinda of money. Not worth it on a phone that will be outdated in September.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
No cost if hairline crack

I walked into the SOHO store today expecting to pay $229 for an iPhone 5 that developed a crack arcing from the lower-right corner up to the center-right side. When they saw the phone they said that since it was a hairline crack, and not a spider-web crush type of crack, it was covered under the standard warranty. No cost to me, that is.

They used their new glass-replacing machine, and I can't tell the phone from new, which it really was. Prior to the fix they advised me that if the new glass didn't go on correctly, they'd just replace the phone.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
If I have to pay for screen replacement for my iphone 5 honestly I could buy a new phone with that kinda of money. Not worth it on a phone that will be outdated in September.

A new phone for $149? You buying a razr?

I'll spend $150 on a phone that I can turn around and sell for $500. Remember that they're $649 new before tax.

Also, if by "outdatated" you mean "still retailing for more than an iPad", then I agree

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,154

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
that's pretty fecund expensive... cheaper to get done elsewhere.

No. iPhone 5 screens are hard to find for under $200

I would know, I repair them.

It is cheap to fix anything older, however.

----------

You people have no idea what you're talking about. Those damn screens are expensive. I pay $10 a month for verizon insurance (which I will NEVER buy again by the way) and it only covers accidents AND you have to pay a $200 flat fee.

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
For what you're getting though, is it that expensive? What's the price per pixel cost to replace a laptop screen? Or replace your desktop monitor?
At $150, that's 1/5 of a penny per pixel!

The other way to look at it is what it costs to replace the entire phone, in which case it still seems cheap.

Now, whether it's affordable on an individual basis is a whole different matter.

Why not calculate the per atom cost?

macman312

macrumors 6502
I'm interested in how long does this takes?

They haven't thought it through if you get your computer repaired you can leave it there for a few hours or a few days, fine most people have more than one computer anyway so it won't matter too much. But this would take a few hours at least. How can you be without your phone for a few hours let alone a few days if they don't have the parts.....? Also how would they call you once it was fixed?

Apparently they have a 'glass fixing machine' fine for glass but what about for more complicated jobs like home buttons, sleep buttons, cameras etc

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
note to applecare+ customers: if you crack your screen and want the whole phone swapped out and not just the screen, dunk the phone in water first.

What would one do if an iMac's hard drive failed twice in 8 months (just started failing when it was new), and someone wants a new iMac instead of another repair? Lemon.

Last edited:

Kirsten Hollerd

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
My local store has been doing display replacements for about a week. My friend that works there says it takes about 20-30 minutes to replace an iPhone 5 display.

He also said that they received some very expensive equipment that "calibrates" each display and makes sure things like the proximity sensor is working.

As for AppleCare not being worth it anymore, be careful with that one. He said that he's already had a shattered phone that they attempted a screen repair on that had deeper damage due to the impact. The new screen didn't work and the person paid the full $229 for a new phone. AC would have just been $49.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
This still seemed too expensive. I have seen a lot of people that had their display cracked, very easily sometimes. Apple repairs their product very well, but the service is quite overpriced. The parts needed to repair the screen really only costs $30-40 from Amazon, and I do not think the labor fee alone is worth $100.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Yes, there are. No third party vendor can sell OEM screen, so unless he has not fixed one screen, it's third party.
Wrong again.
OEM's sell "replacement" screens to third party suppliers all the time.
Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc. they all sell screens for the repair market.

Heck you can get OEM iPhone 5 front glass digitizers on Amazon for under $4.
You can get an original (OEM) screen with digitizer for $149.

These all have genuine Apple part numbers that can be easily verified.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
I'm interested in how long does this takes?

They haven't thought it through if you get your computer repaired you can leave it there for a few hours or a few days, fine most people have more than one computer anyway so it won't matter too much. But this would take a few hours at least. How can you be without your phone for a few hours let alone a few days if they don't have the parts.....? Also how would they call you once it was fixed?

Apparently they have a 'glass fixing machine' fine for glass but what about for more complicated jobs like home buttons, sleep buttons, cameras etc

For my part, the "glass fixing machine" effort took 45 minutes over two attempts. They said it's a new machine and they're not used to it yet. It would have taken 20 minutes if the first try worked. I was concerned about how it would work and look, but it came back feeling right (drawing app) and looking new. It didn't have any scratches brought it in, and it was perfect when I got it back. Of course, we don't know if the repair itself will hold up.

In any case, I've had good experiences with phone repairs at the Apple Store (SOHO and Meat Packing district). Over a variety of phones, I've had two swaps and this repair. The swaps took 15 min.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
See? Everything turned to be okay and actually better.

If you only need the display, you pay $149 without AC+ instead of paying $200 for the whole replacement.

And some people still whining about not having unit replacement. I hate when somebody abuse the system, asks iPhone replacement for a mere cosmetic damage, really? :rolleyes:

lastknight

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
stealers

in this page:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iphone-5-cost-no-contract-apple-bom,17718.html

you can see 44 usd is price for display, and apple wants 150 usd for repair/display exchange??
this is ridiculous, they are trying to steal money from loyal customers or what?

i has iphone 3G, iphone 4, ipad 2, now iphone 4S

danishiphonerep

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
The best price i can find from some of my suppliers is like 135$, apple can close all iPhone repair shops if they keep this policy and extending this repair service to all devices with such low pricing from their own apple shops

god bless all 3rd party repair shops, the big apple is over us :eek:

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
My sleep/wake button is broken.

Does this mean that after July, I MUST get it repaired and no longer have the choice of a refurb replacement?

I'm not sure. If they do insist on fixing the specific issue rather than replacing the whole device, it would be unreasonable to pitch a fit...

But I'm sure all we'll see on here is how the consumer is getting screwed by this

----------

What would one do if an iMac's hard drive failed twice in 8 months (just started failing when it was new), and someone wants a new iMac instead of another repair? Lemon.

Keep your data backed up

The failure of an inexpensive, volatile and isolated unit inside the computer does at all indicate your device is a lemon

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Wrong again.

These all have genuine Apple part numbers that can be easily verified.[/QUOTE

Clones. Apple will not allow parts to be sold to non-apple entities.

B-Roll

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
The best price i can find from some of my suppliers is like 135$, apple can close all iPhone repair shops if they keep this policy and extending this repair service to all devices with such low pricing from their own apple shops

god bless all 3rd party repair shops, the big apple is over us :eek:

No need to worry. We just need to start getting creative! :)

sailomb

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
A big reason why a new screen won't work or fit is if the frame is bent too badly.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Wrong again.

These all have genuine Apple part numbers that can be easily verified.

Clones. Apple will not allow parts to be sold to non-apple entities.
Again, you're wrong. You obviously have no clue how this process works.
A reseller cannot list an item as an OEM part if it is not a genuine part.

There are only two companies in the world that have the technical capability and equipment in place to manufacture an iPhone 5 display and those two happen to be the OEMs that make them for Apple.

Manufacturers always make "spares" of parts that are more likely to be damaged for the purpose of repair or refurbishment.

Apple doesn't have much say in what those OEMs do with the spares.
Only components with Apple trademarks or other IP are controlled by Apple.
The displays are not one of those items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.