Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I really wish they would release a "consumer" version of the mac pro.... Something in between that and the mac mini. I really don't need a Xeon chip or dual GPUs but the mac mini is a bit under powered.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
What bugs me, as someone who would actually like to have a powerful mac to analyze large 3D datasets, is that I still can't figure out how this bucket is going to work for me. I need to have a lot of storage to hold the files to analyze, and clearly I can't use the on-board storage. External storage would be a great option, but we're restricted to the new thunder-fire whatever connection, but I can't find any of these available. Do I have to wait until peripheral manufacturers catch up before even considering this? Also, I'll likely have to plug in a bunch of hard drives. How am I going to organize them so that they aren't a big pile in the corner? I've been using a rack, but this is the least rack-friendly design that I can think of.

Pretty useless for this Pro.

I can't even begin to describe what a rambling incoherent mess this post is.

1. You use a rackmount system, and you fault the Mac Pro for not fitting into that. Wow.

2. "Clearly can't use inboard storage". Because somehow you're allergic to the fastest internal storage ever deployed in a Mac? Or is it merely capacity? (Which we don't know yet).

3. If we assume that the maximum BTO internal storage is 2 TB, then your 3-D graphics will probably need to be on external storage. This is of course assuming that you really do have that many files that are that big that you work with on a regular basis.

In which case you have the fastest I/O ever in any computer in the way of thunderbolt two. You also have the fastest consumer level I/O in any computer ever called USB three.

And...really... You're going to ask what am I supposed to do with all these hard drives I'm going to have on my desk?

If you just came out and said what I really need is a compact, mobile, rackmount system...not performance, then at least you'd be honest.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
... In which case you have the fastest I/O ever in any computer in the way of thunderbolt two.

I'm just breaking in a pair of ProLiants with 64 Gbps disk I/O (each) over fibre.

I have a rack of ProLiants with 8 systems, each of which has 96 Gbps connections to external DAS over copper.

And I have some 40 Gbps Ethernet links (and 100 Gbps Ethernet products are shipping).

Perhaps you should look beyond the lies in Apple's advertising copy and see what is currently shipping (and has been for years).

You also have the fastest consumer level I/O in any computer ever called USB three....

So does my laptop ;) ...

Last edited:

sherrie.melton5

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Smartphone App Development

The new Mac Pro teaser looks awesome. I am eagerly waiting for the release of this product in the Apple stores.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Maybe a good time to buy a refurb 2012 MacPro, before they all disappear.
This year is going to be the biggest bargain basement ever seen in Apple history.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Has anyone seen this photo....hahaha, ...actually it's not funny....it's reality!
reality? a wireless mac pro? where?
also, go ahead and, without researching, name all those peripherals.. you and most people don't even know what those things are so how is it reality?

I'd like to see this thing spin around with everything connected to it...

you ever have to go under a desk and spin a current mac pro around in order plug/unplug stuff? pretty sure it's a lot less of a hassle with the new mac

Frong

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
5000$? Well I honestly don't remember how much I paid my current MacPro but it was probably this range...

Ok it's a lot too much but with some drive change or addition and a graphic card update and this 7 years old computer is still running on Windows or on OSX the last big games with fairly descent setup and quite good fps.

I never used that long a single computer and I started about 25 years ago. And if it wasn't a problem of installing new OS (OSX/Windows) I bet I would keep it 8 years.

I hope the new models will be satisfying, I'm a little skeptical about the trashcan design but well... :)

----------

Has anyone seen this photo....hahaha, ...actually it's not funny....it's reality!

View attachment 431392

Image taken from:
diglloyd's blog - http://macperformanceguide.com

Ha ha very funny but clearly a fake, looks like coming from a fake Mac user. What's weird is that many naive PC users will enjoy stop think more than 1s (as usual) and will love believe it fully.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
You are factually incorrect. According to there 2013 Q3 10Q filing they do. You can look for yourself here: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...2-4bc8374e1322/Q3_2013_Form_10-Q_As-Filed.pdf

Have you read what you just posted? Have you?

Are you talking about assets?

Or are you talking about Cash and Cash equivalents (which are listed with 10,746 mill $)?

Or are you talking about short term marketable securities? (18,383 mill $)

Do you really factor in the long-term marketable securities? (92 bill $)

Do you know, what these are? Do you know, where these reside? Is this really 92 billion $ on US accounts? No, it is not. Thanx for the paper btw.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

demars

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Santa Monica, CA
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/pre...5#.UjDWgj90nYY

The dual-socket HP Z820 Workstation delivers exceptional performance, award-winning industrial design and tool-free serviceability in the industry’s most expandable chassis. The HP Z820 offers up to 24 processing cores, up to 512 GB of ECC memory,(5) up to 15 TB of high-speed storage,(6) and up to two NVIDIA K6000 graphics.
It also supports T-Bolt 2 ....
I would encourage forum readers to visit that link. You will see details on an array of impressive HP products and (more pertinent to this thread) it shows Thunderbolt gaining some real traction in the PC market!

This is pretty impressive for TB, both HP workstations and laptops are getting TB ports.. This shows the real potential of Thunderbolt: laptops (excuse me, "mobile workstations") are becoming very powerful and Thunderbolt is providing a greater ability to interface with equipment in a mobile environment. Furthermore, there is an an obvious advantage in being able to use the same equipment in the lab/studio as in the mobile environment, hence an advantage in using an serial interface available on a mobile platform (whether USB 3 or Thunderbolt) rather than a PCIe card where practical.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
based on 30 years of observation.

I work on a multimedia corporation where Television and Radio Stations are the core of our business. Based on 30+ years of productivity and needs I can assure you that the world of media is getting simplified and not the other way around. If you're talking about game development or 3D modeling then a Mac Pro is not the Machine to work with (not even any High End PC either) but Pre-production media as TV ads and Radio broadcast not forgetting the art and design department or web design development offices right now are running high end Mac Minis.

Mac Minis running Protools, Mac Minis running Adobe Suites, Mac Minis running Logic Pro and Final Cut. I'm talking about a big corporation here (not going to mention any names here) every department went from a Mac Pro to a Mac Mini when every equipment needed an upgrade.

Apple is noticing this. That's why this Mac Pro is getting to the market. I saw a whole tv series being edited on a Mac Mini my friend. Believe me when I said: "Times are changing".

----------

View attachment 431392

Image taken from:
diglloyd's blog - http://macperformanceguide.com

It will not be like that at all. Right now a creative office just need a central server on a network and all the offices looks clean. In my work the sales department Has one laser/copier network printer and the visual/audio/art department are connected to a room full of servers. Their desks are so clean that actually the only thing out of the picture are some Mac Pros that still around (that soon will be replace for Mac Minis)

mess3mess

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
I work on a multimedia corporation where Television and Radio Stations are the core of our business. Based on 30+ years of productivity and needs I can assure you that the world of media is getting simplified and not the other way around. If you're talking about game development or 3D modeling then a Mac Pro is not the Machine to work with (not even any High End PC either) but Pre-production media as TV ads and Radio broadcast not forgetting the art and design department or web design development offices right now are running high end Mac Minis.

Mac Minis running Protools, Mac Minis running Adobe Suites, Mac Minis running Logic Pro and Final Cut. I'm talking about a big corporation here (not going to mention any names here) every department went from a Mac Pro to a Mac Mini when every equipment needed an upgrade.

Apple is noticing this. That's why this Mac Pro is getting to the market. I saw a whole tv series being edited on a Mac Mini my friend. Believe me when I said: "Times are changing".

For those that are holding out, I sincerely hope you are right! I also hope that means the next upgrade to the mini will be better than what they just did for the iMac (cost is too high for us to consider for an all in one system)…

I just wish they would just get on with it (the release of the new Mac Pro that is) so I know if I made the right decision in dumping Apple for HP.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Apple is noticing this. That's why this Mac Pro is getting to the market. I saw a whole tv series being edited on a Mac Mini my friend. Believe me when I said: "Times are changing"

Very interesting viewpoint - thank you for sharing.

But, your story makes me wonder if the Mac Mini Pro ("trashcan") will be DOA.

If all these people are realizing that a $799 Mac Mini will do their work - how many of them will pony up $7999 for a Mac Mini Pro.

And if Apple can sell the system that they showed at MacWorld SF 2013 for $7999, it will be a bargain.

I was pricing HP servers today for the next quarters upgrades. HP lists the E5-2697v2 (12-core, 2.7GHz, 30MiB) for $3749 per socket! Add $1356 for 64 GiB RAM, or $4396 for 128 GiB (4*32GiB).

That's over $5000 without chassis, power supply, motherboard, T-Bolt controllers, NICs. And definitely without two workstation class 3D graphics cards and a fancy case that could be mistaken for an IKEA trash can.

Who besides a willy-waver would buy a machine that's pushing $10,000 when a system thats well under $1,000 does the job?

Of course, if the entry Mac Mini Pro has a quad core CPU and a single GTX card for $1499, they'll sell quite a few.

Last edited:

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
how many of them will pony up $7999 for a Mac Mini Pro

That's the final and confirmed price? If that's the case Apple is doomed.

----------

For those that are holding out, I sincerely hope you are right! I also hope that means the next upgrade to the mini will be better than what they just did for the iMac (cost is too high for us to consider for an all in one system)…

I just wish they would just get on with it (the release of the new Mac Pro that is) so I know if I made the right decision in dumping Apple for HP.

Next time I get a chance I will post pictures of most studios to show you here. It's crazy but it's true! Mac Minis are the new Pro (business wise)

----------

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
That's the final and confirmed price? If that's the case Apple is doomed.

It's just an estimate. The systems shown at MacWorld SF 2013 had a $3700 processor, $1400 of RAM, and two $3300 graphics cards. If Apple makes a configuration like the one at MacWorld, I would be surprised if it's less than $10K.

A quad core CPU with a single GTX CPU could be much cheaper.

We'll just have to wait for the formal announcement to see the spec range and the price range.

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Putting a plastic case on an old phone and selling it as new and putting a computer in a rounded case and painting it black is now called innovation under Tim Cook.

How sad that Apple has fallen to this state.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
It's just an estimate. The systems shown at MacWorld SF 2013 had a $3700 processor, $1400 of RAM, and two $3300 graphics cards. If Apple makes a configuration like the one at MacWorld, I would be surprised if it's less than $10K.

A quad core CPU with a single GTX CPU could be much cheaper.

We'll just have to wait for the formal announcement to see the spec range and the price range.

-It was not Macworld, it was the 2013 WWDC.
-If you think that a quad core CPU and a GTX card will do the same job of a workstation grade CPU/GPU you are clearly not a pro and you will be fine with lower spec machine.
-You can find the E5 2697 12core 2.7ghz for as low as 2750$(almost 1000$ less than you are saying).
-Nobody knows the price for the twin GPU in the nMP, eventhougth the spec are similar to the W9000 they are not the same cards and will be much cheaper for Apple to build them(will see if they will pass that saving to us, I hope so at least in part).
-That's just my opinion but I'm 100% confident that the top of the line will sell for less than 10K, and the entry/mid level machines will be priced similar to the actual line.
-We will know for sure in a couple weeks.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
-It was not Macworld, it was the 2013 WWDC.

WWDC is the new MacWorld. ;)

-If you think that a quad core CPU and a GTX card will do the same job of a workstation grade CPU/GPU you are clearly not a pro and you will be fine with lower spec machine..

Actually, we hear that many pros are using the Imac and MiniMac - so who is a pro and who isn't?

And I was talking about entry level - a quad core with a GTX would still be much more capable than an Imac.

-You can find the E5 2697 12core 2.7ghz for as low as 2750$(almost 1000$ less than you are saying).

I quoted what HP charges for them, not Intel's quantity 10,000 price. Don't you think that Apple will add margin as well?

--Nobody knows the price for the twin GPU in the nMP, even though the spec are similar to the W9000 they are not the same cards and will be much cheaper for Apple to build them(will see if they will pass that saving to us, I hope so at least in part).

Speculation on both of our parts.

But I feel that using the market price for an essentially identical item is more realistic than assuming that Apple will shed margin and sell them for less.

--That's just my opinion but I'm 100% confident that the top of the line will sell for less than 10K, and the entry/mid level machines will be priced similar to the actual line.
-We will know for sure in a couple weeks.

I'll agree that the base price of the "best" will probably be under $10K, but I expect that you can easily push it over $10K by clicking a few BTO buttons - just like you can hit over $11K with the cheesegrater Mac Pro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.