Apple Blocks iAd Advertising Ahead of U.K. iTunes Radio Launch

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

London-based streaming-music service says it has been blocked from advertising on Apple's iAd network because it is a threat to the Cupertino company's iTunes radio, reports CNET. Similar to iTunes Radio, offers genre and artist-based streaming radio stations with a library of over 22 million tracks.
    Apple may be blocking as it prepares to launch its iTunes Radio service in the U.K. The service debuted in the U.S. alongside the release of iOS 7 last fall and was recently extended to Australia. It is expected to debut in the U.K. sometime in early 2014.

Over the past several months, some iPhone owners in the U.K. have reported intermittent connections to the iTunes Radio service, suggesting Apple is in the final stages of preparing the product for an imminent launch. Bringing iTunes Radio to countries worldwide is a top priority for Apple, says senior vice president of Internet software and services Eddy Cue, who confirmed the company plans to offer the service "in more than 100 countries."

Article Link: Apple Blocks iAd Advertising Ahead of U.K. iTunes Radio Launch
  2. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2006
  3. macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2011
    Is it even LEGAL for Apple to do such a thing?
  4. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    £1 a month? Talk about race to the bottom. I only own my music, so even free isn't enticing to me.
  5. macrumors member

Aug 11, 2010
    Apple is taking over the radio industry! (I didn't say if this is a good or a bad thing)
  6. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    They have some of the best lawyers in the world.... yes, it's legal, until a court says otherwise.
  7. macrumors member

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheltenham, UK
    I'm really surprised it's taken so long to launch over here. I had it appear in my iTunes app back in November/December last year and expected it to launch in the not too distant future following that. 4/5 months later, I'm still waiting.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2014
    In between a rock and a hard place
    If this is true it's pretty sad. But I guess that's one way to ensure the success of your offering.:( Hopefully there's another reason.
  9. macrumors Pentium

Jun 22, 2009
    It's their ad network - they can do what they want ultimately until legally required to change.

That being said - it should be clear that Apple does not like competition.
  10. macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2001
  11. macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2010
    Not really, Pandora and Spotify have too much of a lead on them.
  12. macrumors regular

May 24, 2012
  13. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2010
    When is the last time you saw an ABC ad on NBC? Or heard one radio station advertise on another? Not really anything new.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2011
    My guess is that for it to be illegal it would require Apple to be considered abusing a dominant position to unfairly compete against

15. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    Wow - this is a pathetically sad move on Apple's part. They're counting on customers not knowing about better services so that they'll use Apple's.

Personally, I love Spotify. I briefly tried iTunes Radio before Spotify became free on iOS, but as soon as Spotify offered that, it was a no-brainer.

I'm a bit interested in this… I've never heard of it before. It sounds cheaper than Spotify… is it basically the same thing at a lower price? How is their library? I've been quite impressed with how much Spotify has… the biggest name I have wanted and not been able to get on Spotify is Rammstein.
  16. macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2013
    If it's legal, then why isn't Google banning Apple/iPhone queries from his Search Engine? :>
  17. macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2009
    You ever see an advertisement for an ABC TV show while watching a CBS TV show? Me neither.

Yes it is legal.

Because Google's mobile ad revenue would be cut by 80%. Google actually pays Apple to make Google the default search engine on iOS. However, Siri is separate and Apple has chosen to keep Siri's use of search engine a closed choice. It currently uses Bing (like Microsoft's new Cortana).
  18. macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Without any proof this sounds like a bit of free advertising for a company no one has ever heard of.
  19. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Yeah, I'd prefer Apple used as competition to push them forward, not rely on consumer ignorance to push Apple iTunes radio adoption.

Still, it's backfired. Thanks to banning them from iAds, I've now heard of Bloom for the first time. I'll be checking out now if they're available here!

Edit - I just checked what they offer for £1, and no thanks! Can stream from Spotify for free, and have no interest in "borrowing" tracks that I lose if I unsubscribe, I'll buy from eMusic instead.
  20. macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2012
    I hope this is not the case. apple should let everyone advertise.
  21. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Sep 21, 2012
    Germany, Europe
    Don't stop here Apple, a lot of countries still waiting :D
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2011
    Google is undobtely dominant in the search market: that's why it cannot leverage it to unfarily compete and cannot tamper with search results like you suggest.
  23. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2014
    If you read the iAD T&C's you'll see that Apple have the right to refuse companies advertising for any reason they see fit. So all you "is it legal" people, I'm guessing you are American. Yes it is legal and no, you can't sue.
  24. macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2007
    Early 2014 has long gone....
  25. macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2011
    People have been saying 'ahead of UK iTunes Radio Launch' for a long time now :mad:
    When it's not even on their iTunes or iOS UK Pages yet.
    And it's not closer to Mid 2014 not early 2014