Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Are they getting bad vibes from internal polling of forthcoming sales or trouble closing deals with content providers? Or... Is Apple doing this in case the numbers are disappointing and the iPad tablet, is the latest device to be piled upon the mound that is known as "Mt. Flopped Tablets"! :eek:

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
LOL ! Actually there are lots of reasons I'm not buying an ipad... first of all,
it's not a replacement for my macbook. I need a device that runs full snow leopard. The fact that the ipad is a whole new OS means that we will all have
to buy all new software for anything that we are now doing on our laptops. I
have a lot of specialty software on my mac that will never come out on the
ipad, so it could never replace my macbook. my macbook is getting old so
I'll have to replace it soon, I was hoping the ipad would do that but definitely
not. Well the point about the ipad is it is slaved to your computer- it's not
a stand-alone device, so if I got an ipad, i'd have to get another laptop anyway...

I never recall anyone saying it is intended to replace a Macbook.......

Garion

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark, Europe
Apple should have done everything in-house so that everything stays with them.

Outsourcing to someone else to do it will ended up how Foxconn are doing things in China.

Good idea, except Apple doesn't have any factory facilities, so they'd have to make the iPads one at a time - by hand.

Would be cool though: "Handmade in California by Apple" :)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
the US government refuses to make changes to keep runaway production down.

it's not just in tech, i work in Hollywood and it's a problem we've had for a while. Making a movie or a tv show is very risky so the studios want to lower the risk by having as low a budget as possible. This means access to needed outdoor locations, sound stages, post production houses and even the best labor, tax etc situations. One reason why a lot of shows went to Vancouver and Toronto is because all the pieces were there, especially the money ones. then states like California started offering sales tax breaks, so more stuff stayed in Hollywood. Even shows that were supposed to be set in New York, Texas, Louisiana etc. Finally those states got smart and starting offering breaks. And now you get Ugly Betty and Nurse Jackie filmed in New York, True Blood filming in Louisiana and so on

Now we need the US to make it the same or better for the bottom line to keep the work in the US. without raising prices through the roof (I'd be willing to pay a little bit more for US made stuff. say $10 more on an ipod, $50 on a laptop and $100 on a desktop)

This is funny. They recently added cast info to movies and tv shows on the directv dvrs, and it is funny how many bit players in a lot of movies are all from Canada, and some B movies are entirely cast with Canadians.

It is not like there are not Americans who would do the work, but somehow we manage to price ourselves out of everything and then complain we have no jobs.

I would guess the odds of being cast as an actor as a 20-something in Western Canada is 5000x more likely than being a 20-something in Los Angeles.

fabulicious

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
haha Looks like we have an iFailure on our hands. I'm personally going to call it the "McFlop" when sales number finally do come out. Actually, I should say you guys, since I won't be buying one.

If this were Google over Nexus One numbers, you know what some of you fanboy hypocrites would say. lol The fact that you say it's fine Apple does this just makes you look all the more foolish. :D

The PP who cited North Korea is spot on when it comes to this company.

I never recall anyone saying it is intended to replace a Macbook.......

You DO realize the things Steve Jobs says is recorded, don't you???

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-tablet-most-important/

Hmm? "Most important"? Seems to mean it's more important than the Mac computer. Interesting! :rolleyes:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/could-the-ipad-save-the-desktop-computer/
"I agree that an iPad will probably replace a laptop for a LOT of people." That from the Cult Of Apple, Wired.com news.

It seems like you're backsliding on this, bluedodge, now that the hype is over and getting closer to a final product sales release.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Is it really surprising that it isn't selling well when it ISN'T ON SALE, YET?
Some of us have pre-sale options, with the guarantee that the iPad will be delivered on launch day at the latest. Oh yes. I gladly accepted Apple's offer. And I take it that I wasn't the only one.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I'd say that it's Apple's right to keep such records private.

Why should I want to know these records.

What concerns me, is the quality of the product and its price.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
wow... apple is really going berserk. I used to be a big fanboy, have
a macbook, imac, iphone, time capsule, even an apple tv.... but this
is getting out of hand. Will definitely NOT be getting an ipad... am
looking at the the joo-joo or the notion ink adam, or maybe an hp
slate as a last resort...

Go for it, some people need to have a non-apple experience now and then in order to appreciate Apple better. Just remember to announce when you come back to Apple too.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
If secrecy and tight control is what it takes to get stuff like this, I'm all for it. Maybe it's time for the rest of this unimaginative, half-asleep industry to take a page out of Apple's playbook and take their own products a bit more seriously.

Actually, no one cares how many Zunes or boxes of HP crap are being imported. However, everyone wants to know about Apple's business. Why is that?

First, market leaders are shadowed by all the wannabe competitors that feed off the crumbs. Any little tidbit of knowledge might give them an edge.

Secondly, the more secretive the market leader, the more effort it takes to learn anything...all that effort creates more hunger for more crumbs of info.

I suspect that Microsoft is every bit as secretive as Apple, it's just no one cares to find out. Why might that be, if they are also a market leader? I suppose it has a lot to do with low expectantcy that whatever they are up to matters much at all.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
i thank the heavens every day that i am not this paranoid....

Hmmm... You sound unusually concerned about becoming paranoid. How long have you felt that way?

You do know that just because you don't feel paranoid doesn't mean people are not out to get you?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
"Showing its true fascistic face" would be more like it.

Making shipping records unaccessible to the public, when the company knows that in the past exactly these shipping records were used to breach its trade secrets, is just running a business in a sensible way, it's not "showing its true fascistic face". Openly shipping Nazi memorabilia would be "showing its true fascistic face", but clearly that is not what Apple is doing.

And the article says that Microsoft and Google don't do this? What the hell do they think Google is shipping from China, and what is Microsoft shipping from China that anybody is interested in?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I suspect right now the iPad is the slowest seller of all Apple Products.

I think someone sold _one_ original Apple 1 computer on eBay. That would be one more than iPads sold. I guess you are right.

It's a publicly-traded company. How am I supposed to make an informed decision as an investor if I don't know how many of the things... the supposed future of computing... they're shipping or selling?

You rely on publicly available information, just like every other investor.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

It is surprising how different the tone of the original article is from how some people here see it. To quote: "Apple, well known for their operational secrecy, continues to show leadership in the technology industry by protecting the iPad and future product shipment records. "

In other words, Apple is not fascist or paranoid, as some posters here interpreted it, but Apple is one of very few companies that aren't stupid enough to let all their competitors spy on their data.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You'd think someone in Germany wouldn't be tossing the word "fascistic" around so jocularly... and especially use it improperly. Whatever.

So what words should Americans avoid from throwing around joculary post 'W'???? The word 'facistic' though not 100 % correct, does illustrate Apples trend in wanting complete control over their hardware/software (iphone/app store)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So this is the "hype" the Apple seems to generate around the upcoming iFad. Hmmmmm.

-Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.