Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
My keyboard doesn't shut off when I press the on/off button and it doesn't say anything about it in the booklet that comes with it. I can still type after pressing the on/off button. But I find that if I hold down the button for a few seconds until the green light turns off, then the virtual keyboard pops up and the keyboard is off and the green light goes away.

Is this as designed? Or should I be concerned it isn't working properly? If this is as designed, I don't understand the benefit of holding down the button. I WOULD understand holding the button down to turn it on, but that is not the case.

Thanks.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I tend to agree with you, it's an odd design, and it's really poorly documented. But no, there's nothing specifically wrong with yours. Dumb as it seems, holding down the "on" switch as you have IS how you turn it off. It also seems to go into a sleep mode if left untouched long enough--but "long enough" seems to be hours. I just turn mine off when not using it,and switch off Bluetooth on the iPad to save battery life.

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
I tend to agree with you, it's an odd design, and it's really poorly documented. But no, there's nothing specifically wrong with yours. Dumb as it seems, holding down the "on" switch as you have IS how you turn it off. It also seems to go into a sleep mode if left untouched long enough--but "long enough" seems to be hours. I just turn mine off when not using it,and switch off Bluetooth on the iPad to save battery life.

Thanks. :) Nice tip about turning off bluetooth. Hadn't thought about the need to do that.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
LOL--every time I've ever thought I was developing a battery problem on one of the iThings, I've realized I left BT on again. So I've made it a habit finally to keep it off unless I'm actively using it. Other than screen brightness, it's one of the worst battery hogs I've personally found on my devices.

But I tend to use the keyboard only for certain writing sessions. If you find yourself using it off and on all day, turning BT off might be more of a nuisance than it's worth. I'm also jailbroken, with a tweak that makes accessing that function very quick and easy. If I had to go through three layers of menus to turn it off or on, I probably wouldn't be as likely to be so rigid about it.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
LOL--every time I've ever thought I was developing a battery problem on one of the iThings, I've realized I left BT on again. So I've made it a habit finally to keep it off unless I'm actively using it. Other than screen brightness, it's one of the worst battery hogs I've personally found on my devices.

But I tend to use the keyboard only for certain writing sessions. If you find yourself using it off and on all day, turning BT off might be more of a nuisance than it's worth. I'm also jailbroken, with a tweak that makes accessing that function very quick and easy. If I had to go through three layers of menus to turn it off or on, I probably wouldn't be as likely to be so rigid about it.

Gotta love SBSettings! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.