Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Don't say it makes zero sense for Apple to do anything like that. Because I remember when I called Apple once to ask them when is Apple going to make a Phone, I was told that we are a computer company and we are not in to phone business. So after there, apple comes out with the iPhone. So I know if Steve had a chance to make a car it would have been wonderful.

I can't see this having ever gone further than a thought Steve once had. It would make zero sense for Apple to do anything like that.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I just want a car with an iPad in it instead of that overpriced, outdated navigation/jukebox system they put in.

Regular car companies like Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, etc should buy car technology from Apple. Not for actual mechanics, just as a navigator, jukebox, phone, etc and some apps that do neat things like keep statistics of your driving.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Design wise, I wonder what a car designed by Steve Jobs would look like.

Would it be a midsize 4 door hatchback like a Prius? Or would it be a 2 door hardtop convertible like the Mercedes he drove? Would he have gone for the swooped hood-into-A-pillar look, or been more for the defined hood/windshield look like a Corvette or something?

All things we'll never really know. While everyone's busy getting it on about how the car would be electric or have a stereo that can read your mind, I'd just wonder how it'd look like.

I suppose we'll never know.

AppDeveloper

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
While Steve was an amazing businessman no doubt.. I do believe that doing too many things would be an incredibly difficult feat for any company. The consumer electronics industry makes sense, and an iTV seems logical. However, iCar is a bit pushing it.. I believe if anyone, only Steve Jobs could juggle the Mac line, iDevices and a future iLiving Room and iCar. I don't think anyone else can truly manage all these various industries.

But i'd love to see Apple try.

Well Google is trying all kind of various industries:

Google's Revolutionary Self-Driving Car:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404199,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585

jncoanalog

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
An iCar would have been very interesting.

Good design, for once, in the car market which has been dominated by ugly Japanese car "esthetics" since the eighties.

And, of course, they all have the autocad look.

I believe there's lot of things/problems in the planning and actual construction of a car where Steve's vision could be helpful... aesthetics is not one of them.
I can think of 10 cars since the eighties that had great aesthetics in probably 30 seconds (maybe not Japanese but still...cars), and I'm not really into cars, on the contrary.

Google "car on a stick" "Ross Lovegrove", I personally hate the aesthetics (and I believe that's always a very personal choice/taste anyway), but see the TED Talk if you want to understand some of the things that are absolutely wrong with car's planning and fabrication today, and most of them have been wrong since they where invented anyway.

EDIT: If anyone's interested in Lovegrove's TED Talk , the car related bit starts at about 13min.

Last edited:

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
The more interesting question would be: Who would get the contract to build an Apple-designed car?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
This will be a rant. I'm sorry, but I really have to say this.

To those of you saying the iCar would have been a failure: go f--- off. Just seriously go f right off.

What single clue do you know about what Steve envisioned? And what right do you have to assume that the most successful visionary of our time wasn't well aware of the challenges. It may not even have been developed for another decade or two.

Why do you doubt? Is it because it's more comforting considering he won't be around to see this vision into fruition? Because you're smarter than he was? Or maybe you lack his ability to envision something that isn't just a hackneyed mesh of what's currently available, like most other companies end up doing.

Guess what, now that he's not here anymore it'll probably take an extra two decades or more for us to come close to what he may have developed, regardless of the level of success it may have found. Could have been a real revolution in travel. It may not have resembled the car as we know it at all.

Sure I could continue to argue that point and sure you could argue against it, but with what evidence? Revolution requires dreaming big-- exactly what he tended to do.

Remember the moment you found out about his death? Was it not a profound sense of loss? Regardless, was a great loss for everyone. The man wasn't finished.

So f off.

-Me

I found this rant to perfectly summarize everything I've been thinking regarding this subject. The iCar could have been great, and it could have been yet another revolution. We know nothing about it because it was only ever a twinkle in Steve's eye. Who's rightful to criticize something that we know absolutely nothing about - furthermore, something that never existed?

"The man wasn't finished" sums up exactly what I feel about his loss. I feel sad that he's gone. I feel an emptiness in my generation's leaders. I feel that there's a void that I will never see refilled in my lifetime. Most of all, I feel an angry bitterness that he was stolen or taken way before his time, and it could have been prevented just like the rare and treatable form of cancer he had.

Then things went wrong and he was lost. In the worst way - unexpectedly and early. Now, who knows what the world will miss out on if he had stayed with us. Maybe he had another 10, 20, 30 or more years left in him to create, innovate, and revolutionize. Maybe he was near retirement. Again, who knows, but how much does all the speculation really matter in the face of death?

About the only thing that makes me happy when we discuss Steve around these forums is the "Oh, wow" quote that came out regarding his final moments. I'm comforted in the fact that he saw or felt something beautiful and wondrous as he departed. In the face of being reminded that he'll never design his iCar, he'll never sail on his dream yacht, he won't be able to enjoy his vegetable garden, and he won't be able to live out retirement with his wife, that one quote makes me happy. At least he went peacefully.

Now that I've gotten that out, I want to retouch on the topic at hand. I can't stand the critiques about what could have been, but really wasn't. There's no need to viciously debate anymore. Discuss, certainly, but debate heatedly? No. Something seems much more fragile when you're talking about the work of someone that isn't around to defend it. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but I'm not up to defend the critics anymore.

I'm glad users like the one above can do it for me, but the world has become way too mean. It's about time we stop and appreciate what we have, and not dwell on and gripe about the flaws in what could have been. I'm sorry to sound like an old buddy-duddy, but for some reason, this got to me today. I feel better that I've said what I said. Now, please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Steve Jobs favorite car was from a manufacturer that has the second worse reliability in the industry (Mercedes); although, he likely never ran into those issues as he replaced his ever 6 months. It's possible you could infer from what he liked what type of car he might design, not that he would design an unreliable car on purpose, but perhaps he might have found a way to get consumers to upgrade cars more often (as they do iPhones).

When the J Crew guy says car design is a tragedy in the US, is he saying that US manufacturers' cars are less fashionable than other ones, or that they are designed poorly in terms of the actual function of the cars? I would agree that some makes like Mercedes make nice looking cars, but I wouldn't buy one over a Ford, for example (but I wouldn't buy a Ford over a Toyota).

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
What?

He never even got to finish the Apple "Bicycle" mentioned in his biography :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I'm sure he wouldn't have actually designed a car, rather a deal with an already established automobile manufacturer like Mercedes-Benz.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
That's not an Car.

This is an Car.

azOFi.jpg

jlj1290

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
iCar? What about the iHouse...

I would buy it have glass and metal fronts like the Apple Stores with the spiral staircase. It would also have Siri integration to control all house functions. Now that is a house I would buy!!! :apple:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The telematics systems of most vehicles do leave much to be desired, but if Apple wanted to enter into the development arena to compete with the likes of Microsoft, QNX, and others, I'm certain they'd find willing partners. In other words, put up or shut up.

And as Tesla has discovered, the auto business is far more challenging than the Silly-con Valley types have expected. They get full props for trying, and actually going beyond merely installing electric drivetrains into rolling chassis to fully manufacturing a car, but they didn't get there without people who actually had experience in the industry. Making real life durable goods is not the same as making computers or software. Crashes in cars have real life and death implications, not just lost data, and companies can't hide behind EULAs for defects in their products.

As for Drexler, after running the Gap into the ground, I'm not sure people in his own industry would take much heed of what he has to say.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
What kind of fuel would an Apple designed iCar run on?

That's an easy one to answer. It would run on iFuel. Available only from Apple, it would be a nice addition to Apples revenue stream. They'd ship it all over the nation & install a special pump in all Chevron & Shell stations. Proprietary iFuel, what a concept.

As far as revolutionizing the auto industry, that would be Apples first massive failure since they revived the company. Despite the complaints about the current dealer sales practices and all, that's not about to change for quite some time. Just wait & see. :)

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Wayyyyyyyyyyy too many government regulations to make an iCar that captures the essential simplicity of Apple products. The closest is the Tesla Model S.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
First we have the iPhone, which now has people with their heads down 80% of the day, just staring at the screen, myself included. It's something most of us can't live without. Same with our cars, and if Apple created a car, we would all be locked in our vehicles forever, with our iPhones looking down, while the car drives itself. Then, as we're looking at our iPhone, we can check Google maps to see where you are instead of looking out the window.

In retrospect, our world is becoming very much robotic like the famous Apple 1984 commercial. We are herds that move to the instrument of technology now. A new iPhone? Gather around the stores, and wait for hours and hours. It's quite interesting really, can't say sad, but who knows how deep the rabbit whole gets. I guess we will find out eventually.

And by the way, the iCar comes in 3 different flavors, and a battery that lasts for 10 hour per charge. This magical car is also super light weight, only using the latest in carbon fiber technology. And just like every Apple device, it comes with Apple stickers. If someone steals your iCar, login to iCloud and use Find my iCar.

Last edited:

kwaan

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Had to create account as no one seems to have suggested the most obvious link up of Steve and Gordon Murray. Murray is trying to get someone to use his new manufacturing process called iStream to create a new innovative city car. For more information on iStream and Gordon Murray's plans head over to http://www.gordonmurraydesign.com/

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Not sure what fuel an iCar would use.

The Chevvy Volt/Vauxhall Ampera is probably the best alternative fuel option for right now - I don't do more than 40 miles most days but with the petrol generator it takes away range anxiety.

All-electric would be cool, but not quite ready for mainstream yet.

Still, the main problem with electric/hybrid cars is that they are basically little more than converted petrol designs - far too heavy, far too old-skool.

I'd hope an iCar would throw everything out and utterly re-think personal transportation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.