Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Lol, 1TB SSD starting at like 1000$+

Car or Mac Pro

Knowing Apples huge mark up on their computing devices, can't image what they'd charge.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Really Apple.

Nice of you to try to impress me.

But... really... just release a new Mac Pro, already!

Don't make me wait any longer because of 2TB SSD (though it would be a nice option).

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Build a Hackintosh.... they are simple to build and work great. We use them for our render farm.

I started out on Commodore, then to DOS (briefly to DR DOS), Windows 3.1, 3.11, MacOS 6.0,7.1, Windows 95, 98, 2000, MacOSX 10, Windows XP, XP64, OSX 10.1..10.4 on MacBook G4+ XP64 on gaming system/work system.

Then hackintosh out of curiousity. Loved the OSX on Intel so much that I started using the hackintosh for production. Then... my nightmare happen. It's complicated as heck to upgrade. Any accidentally upgrade would render my hackintosh unusable... but by then I was already a BIG Mac OSX on Intel fan with VMware fusion. I didn't want to go back to straight native Windows XP/7 again (rather have those on a VM).

After two very challenging upgrades, I decided to end the headache and get a 8-core Mac Pro on 2010.

Been happy ever since. I still build my own x86 gaming system -- heck I just built a LANBox for gaming, but I do the majority of my work on the Mac Pro; I even do the majority of my "windows 8/7" under the mac pro under Fusion.

I was being a stingy and cheap before for trying to save a few bucks on the hackintosh route, but now buying the real deal mac pro was worth every penny!

3years later, it still runs perfect and snappy. It doesn't feel slow at all! -- thought I did put 1.1TB of SSD on it. ;-)

So be warn... hackintosh can lead to mac pro....

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Not a step backwards for the single core base model. Right now even some of the mac minis outperform it, taking that one to i7 would be a big improvement. And the pricing on that model right now is preposterous.

To illustrate the point, here's what someone using their system for audio can expect for their money:

Option 1

Quad-Core Mac Pro (Geekbench: 9840)

One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB (three 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive
18x SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5

£2,049.00

*Not for sale in Europe anymore

Option 2:

Quad-Core Mac Mini (Geekbench: 11759)

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 4000

£759.00 (£1,290.00 remaining)

You could buy a lot of software synths or expensive audio hardware with the change. In fact, you could buy the 2.3Ghz Mac Mini for £679 and a UAD Apollo interface to go with it because they're as low as £1,325 at some online stores.

With either Quad Core i7 Mac Mini that's more CPU power from the outset AND a high end 192Khz/24 bit audio interface with onboard DSP for even more CPU power for the cost of a Mac Pro with less CPU power.

There's even Thunderbolt versions of Pro Tools HD hardware now and add 19" Rack solutions like the Sonnet Mini Rack (not to be confused with the Thunderbolt systems they offer) and you have yourself a rackmounted Mac Mini right above a rack mounted, high end audio interface with onboard DSP!

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
it's moreso because I don't need multiple Xeon processors for my own personal use.

I refuse to buy an iMac that has all the disadvantages of a laptop.

I want apple to make a real desktop. Call it the macpro lite or whatever. I promise it would sell and probably cannibalize many iMac sales.

I value expand-ability, repair-ability, upgrade-ability, and a real non mobile GPU much much higher than the pretty form factor of the iMac.

Whether a "real desktop" at mid-range price would cannibalize many iMac sales or any other part of the product line is a good question. While I haven't seen break-downs between conventional desktops and iMac/all-in-ones, the overall trend towards laptops and tablets suggests that folks aren't particularly worried about repairability, upgradability, or expandability.

The last Apple desktop that physically resembled a mid-range desktop PC was the PowerMac G3, and you can't say its price or performance was mid-range at all in its day. That model just barely pre-dates the original iMac. Since the Power Mac G4, introduced in 1999, the only middle ground between the whoppin' big tower and the iMac had been laptops (not exactly what you have in mind), and these days the laptops and iMacs are pretty comparable on price and performance (a 27" iMac with 3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 768GB Flash storage $3299, vs. 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 768GB Flash storage $3449) - it all comes down to portability vs. screen size.

While there are certainly folks who feel the way you do - there will always be some who legitimately need the extra drive bays, multiple processors, and PCI card slots... the vast majority of computer users never do. They never open the case, certainly would not install a new card or drive or know how to isolate a system fault, can barely figure out where to plug in the monitor and speakers... And there's nothing wrong with that. There aren't many folks out there who know how to butcher a hog, replace piston rings, or spin, weave, and sew their new blue jeans, either. Early adopters like to get under the hood, fix things, and tweak performance. The masses just want it to work.

Modularity and ease of repair drive up unit costs, for features only a fraction of users will ever need. Performance is far more important. Want expandability? Plug into the USB and Thunderbolt ports (ah, I remember the days when I had 4 external SCSII drives daisy-chained off a Q950...)

Out-of-box experience? Some of us like to solve puzzles, but the majority want their new toys to be up and running a minute after they open the box (or have the IT guy able to set up dozens of desktops in a day).

It's often said that Apple succeeds by giving us what we didn't know we needed. True enough. Elegance, another famous Apple trait, is often the art of paring away what is not needed.

The net result in the case of iMac is a device that takes up little desktop space, no under-desk space, sets up in minutes, yet has a big-ass monitor and full-size keyboard. Yep, it's an over-grown laptop!

"Disadvantages of a laptop?" To nearly all users, the disadvantages of a laptop are a small screen, small keyboard, a less-powerful CPU... the very things the iMac addresses. Expandability, repairability, upgradability? Way, way down the list. And a better GPU? That's hardly dependent on card slots and drive bays. You may just have to wait for the next product refresh.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Since the Power Mac G4, introduced in 1999, the only middle ground between the whoppin' big tower and the iMac had been laptops

While Apple didn't have a "mid" model in terms of size, the base G4 towers were certainly priced as midrange boxes, at $1499-1699. If Apple announced a base tower in that price range, I suspect most of the requests for a specific "mid" model would go away.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I doubt this story. I mean, this is the same company that are putting in 5400 RPM drives in their latest iMacs...

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I doubt this story. I mean, this is the same company that are putting in 5400 RPM drives in their latest iMacs...

Lower rpm = less heat, better battery life, longer hard drive life and is usually an adequate speed for most people.

Size of the cache is usually more important.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Lower rpm = less heat, better battery life, longer hard drive life and is usually an adequate speed for most people.

Size of the cache is usually more important.

Why is battery life a concern in an iMac? Heat should be a non-issue in todays 7200rpm hard drive technology. In fact, the new iMacs should have been at least 128GB SSD standard, instead of a hard drive.

J2ozone

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
It's probably just a 2TB fusion drive, maybe with a 512gb SSD as the flash part.

A 2TB SSD at apples prices would be like....$5,000

If the iMac already has a 2 & 3TB Fusion Drive option, why would Apple be developing a 2TB one?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
If the iMac already has a 2 & 3TB Fusion Drive option, why would Apple be developing a 2TB one?

Probably they just want another proprietary connector for the Mac Pro one. It is forbidden to use an iMac one in a Mac Pro one. ;)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I am interested in seeing what price Apple charges for a 2TB SSD. Especially since a 1 TB SSD is ~2500 USD.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Actually it looks like SSD pricing may come way down soon. Crucial has announced their upcoming m500 series, supposedly the 960 gig version will cost under $600.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Apple and price coming down makes no since at all.

LOL, no not for SSDs direct from Apple, I'm sure they will still be x2.5 the market average. I mean as Apple pushes the industry forward on making these standard on pro machines, that will drive prices down.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Which still doesn't really make sense on a thread about Mac Pro.

Fair enough...

Moving on...
Something that I was thinking about the other day while ripping apart a Hitachi Touro portable drive...
Big companies such as Apple & Samsung are pretty much the companies that have control over the cost of things like processors, ram, LCD displays and hard drive. Apple can order up a truck load of 512GB SSD drives and charge whatever they want. Buy this stuff in bulk allows them to price them as they please. Apple can (will) easily drive the price down. They've been falling rapidly since summer of 2012.

Last edited:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Seagate should have 2 TB hybrid hard drives in the retail channel soon. They are even developing a new version that will be compatible with Intel's SRT technology for caching instead of their internal controllers + algorithm.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I believe that the Thunderbolt support is missing because Intel has only release Core i processors supporting Thunderbolt- the Xeon chips simply do not support TB, at least that I know.

No Intel processors support T-Bolt - none of them. They all require separate discreet T-Bolt controller chips.

The issue is the colossal mistake that Intel made in requiring T-Bolt to carry DisplayPort graphics signals.

However, some of the Xeon processors do have integrated GPUs (e.g. the E3-1275 v2), so supporting T-Bolt would be possible without off-board jumper cables.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.