Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
"The circular roof is made up of 44 identical radial panels averaging 70 feet long and 11 feet wide"

I don't get this. If the 44 panels are identical, why would they cite "average" length and width.

I think it's just a journalist's natural tendency to use wiggle-words. Either that, or an inappropriate use of "average" when it ought to have been, "approximately."

What the average width of a triangle, anyway? All that matters is the width at the base and the height (distance between apex and base), since the width at the vertex tapers to zero. The radius, the number of panels, and the width of any gap between panels would be enough to calculate the width of the panels at any given point on the radius.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think it's just a journalist's natural tendency to use wiggle-words. Either that, or an inappropriate use of "average" when it ought to have been, "approximately."

What the average width of a triangle, anyway? All that matters is the width at the base and the height (distance between apex and base), since the width at the vertex tapers to zero. The radius, the number of panels, and the width of any gap between panels would be enough to calculate the width of the panels at any given point on the radius.
Well, if that's the case, perhaps it's not related to some tendency but just simply an unintentionally incorrect word?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but what exactly is so striking and impressive about this roof, appearance-wise? It's...round, but it doesn't look particularly impressive to me, even if the engineering of it is. It looks more impressive hovering over the building, UFO-like, but of course no one will ever see that again.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but what exactly is so striking and impressive about this roof, appearance-wise? It's...round, but it doesn't look particularly impressive to me, even if the engineering of it is. It looks more impressive hovering over the building, UFO-like, but of course no one will ever see that again.
Well, like you said, perhaps the engineering aspect of it is what it's about for those who are interested in that or might just find it interesting (even if on a trivia type of level).

Reactions: blakethebeast10

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Well, like you said, perhaps the engineering aspect of it is what it's about for those who are interested in that or might just find it interesting (even if on a trivia type of level).
It wasn't until I looked at the photos on Mashable that I got it, where it interleaves photos of the actual roof with the renderings for the completed project. It makes some sense now. In the renderings it becomes clear that the roof has to be all one piece, and lightweight, in order to sit on top of just the all-glass walls, without any visible means of additional support. So when you look at those pictures, the whole thing really is just glass and offers a pretty great view from any angle, inside or out. You can't really see that from the construction pictures because all the glass is covered with protective coatings and labeling.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Oh I get that, but Apple's last event at the Bill Graham auditorium held 7,000.

The new building will house 12,000 employees. I would also expect the theater to be used for in-house Employee events as well. If so that's a pretty small ratio compared to what they're prepared to seat for lunch. So Apple's cafeteria holds 1/3 of its employee population, and the theater holds 1/7 of the audience for its last event and 1/12 of its employees.

Apple's current on-campus town hall only seats 300 people.

So this will be an improvement.

NickD73

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Arizona
I just hope the city of Cupertino preserves it and allows us to tour the abandoned building in 4-5 years when Apple folds.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I just hope the city of Cupertino preserves it and allows us to tour the abandoned building in 4-5 years when Apple folds.

You have no understanding of how much cash $200 billion is do you. Even if Apple made $0 revenue for 5 years... not profit, revenue... it would still have $160 billion in cash. So, no it's not going out of business any time soon. Sorry to ruin your day.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Apple re-modelled the interior for the event to reduce the seat number to about 3000 and added a suite of product demonstration rooms in the saved space. There also were less than a thousand invited guests, the rest was filled with employees.

Note that the room at Moscone West they use for WWDC also holds in the order of 3000 people (most of them developers). But building facilities for a single yearly event makes little sense (for WWDC, on top of the 3000-seat hall, they would need many classrooms for the individual sessions.

Which company has on-site auditoria that can hold all or even a third of its campus employees? Microsoft rented a sports stadium for the farewell address of Steve Balmer.

Which company has a spaceship shaped campus with a 4,000 seat dining hall?

So, they had 3,000 people for both Moscone and Bill Graham. Which means for a smaller event like the latter, they're going to have to limit their invite list -- something that's going to become more difficult as they start to become relevant in the fashion world. And none of Apple's employees will be able to attend to help "evangelize".

The point being, Apple is building a destination campus, having previously announced their intent to host all but the biggest events on site. And with 12,000 employees, one would think they would build a facility that might address various conferences and events relevant and targeted to up to a 1/4 of their workforce. Not to mention, they could hold four separate presentations in one day, and address everyone on campus, rather than 12 individual presentations over multiple days.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Even if Apple made $0 revenue for 5 years... not profit, revenue... it would still have $160 billion in cash. So, no it's not going out of business any time soon.
Apple has such a big cash reserve they'll likely be in business for a very long time. Even if iPhone sales collapsed, which odds are against, Apple has so much money it will buy them all the time they need until they create something else to sell.

That's why at this juncture, quality or lack thereof has little impact. The strength of the brand generates sales, the devotees have plenty of spin to mask any issues that arise. Apple has the hype, it all works out.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The drone videos make these things look small, but ground photos do give you a better perspective of how large these buildings actually are. I am emailing PR for a grand opening invitation already. Just want a tour.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ya...I was about to say this thing would fly faster than a frizbee if it wasn't actually attached to anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.