Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Hi all.

Well, here's my story.

I bought a ibook 6oo mhz that had a busted cd drive. Checked online and it still had warranty on it.
Well I took notebook to an Apple store and they shipped it out and had it repaired.
When I recieved it, I would put a cd in it and computer would freeze.

Took it to another Apple store and they shipped it once more to get fixed. Got call from Apple store today and they told me that cd drive is still not working and going to send out again.

Now my question is, this is the 3rd time cd drive does not work. What can I do to avoid having this problem again. Is 3 times the charm to get a new computer or having cd drive upgraded to a DVD one?
What can I do to resolve this? I've been away from my baby for 2 weeks now!

Thanks in advance,

David

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Pretty cool that it still has warranty!

But is the Apple Store convinced it is the drive itself?
Maybe the internal connector to the optical drive has issues.. or the motherboard..?

You can't do anything yourself, except getting an external FireWire CD/DVD burner.
Maybe that's your best option.

Good luck

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Well, I still have Apple Care warranty for 250 more days, but would like to get this resolved. How many more times do I have to wait until I contact Apple Care with a complaint. I mean 3 times for the same problem. Should I call now or wait and see.

Would love to get a bump in processor power if they upgraded me.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

complain now and tell them that this is the last time u are getting it repaired after that u want a brand new machine with no repair time or issues also point out thier incompetance in repairing a cd drive !

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow...that iBook was discontinued in November 2002, but it seems that yours wasn't originally purchased until late 2003.

I'm not sure how much you'll be able to get out of them, but certainly see what they can do for you.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Just keep a paper trail and names of everyone you talk to and keep explaining to them what is wrong. If you still have Applecare on that thing -- that is amazing -- and it is something Apple needs to help you with. I'll bet you they are putting in refurbed cd drives; I don't know why I say this but it seems a long shot they have those tray loading drives laying around after so long. Why don't you ask them to upgrade if it is only a cd rom drive -- I had a friend with that computer and she had a combo drive in it -- and maybe that will make a difference? Is it a 12" or 14" iBook? And why was it purchased so late in the year 2003?

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Well the good news is that I spoke to someone at Customer Relations and told them my story and she puts me on hold and when she comes back, she asked me if I would like to get upgrade to a G4 Powerbook 1.33ghz.
I was like......OH YEAH!!!

Funny thing is that it seems the ibook I got was a school one that had a 4 year Applecare on it. I still have like 240 days left on it.

Can't wait to get my hand on that G4!!!!

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
xanotos said:
Well the good news is that I spoke to someone at Customer Relations and told them my story and she puts me on hold and when she comes back, she asked me if I would like to get upgrade to a G4 Powerbook 1.33ghz.

Funny thing is that it seems the ibook I got was a school one that had a 4 year Applecare on it. I still have like 240 days left on it.

*runs off to break ibook cd drive at home*

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
xanotos said:

Question: How did you get a 4 year applecare? I have an iBook G3 700 mhz that I bought thru the Education Store online and all I could get was 3 years, so mine has already expired. I can't remember if they used to offer a 4 yr Applecare?

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Well, I don't know either on how long the Applecare was, but when I checked online on thier site, it told me that I had 250 days left on it and the ibook was purchased on 2002.
Funny thing is that I bought the ibook from someone that didn't know it still have warranty on it.

Also, I check with Applecare on the specs of the replacement computer and it's really an iBook G4 not Powerbook. It still good! Can't wait to play WoW on the couch!!!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
xanotos said:
Well, I don't know either on how long the Applecare was, but when I checked online on thier site, it told me that I had 250 days left on it and the ibook was purchased on 2002.
Funny thing is that I bought the ibook from someone that didn't know it still have warranty on it.

Also, I check with Applecare on the specs of the replacement computer and it's really an iBook G4 not Powerbook. It still good! Can't wait to play WoW on the couch!!!

Man you lucked out. Good for you -- they probably couldn't fix it 'cuz it was so old. You got a great iBook coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.