Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Tax season is coming up and i have question. I have signed up and am using the Apple Card since the day it launched here in the US. I also opened a high-yield apple savings account as soon as it launched several months ago to which i have all my Apple Card Cashback dollars sent to automatically. Now, Where/How do i see what the total year to date interest profit is on that high yield savings account so that i can provide it to my CPA to report on my taxes as profit? I have about $135 in total on that high-yield apple savings account. Thanks in advance.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
In the Savings page, tap the button at the top right. Statements are there, tax documents will likely be there later this month.

Reactions: Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
In the Savings page, tap the button at the top right. Statements are there, tax documents will likely be there later this month.
Yeah i checked the tax section under there and its empty. So i basically need to wait until a document shows up under there and that's what i'll need to provide to my CPA?

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Yeah i checked the tax section under there and its empty. So i basically need to wait until a document shows up under there and that's what i'll need to provide to my CPA?

I would expect so, yes. If not, the statement for December will have the YTD interest on the first page.

Reactions: Benz63amg

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I have some "savings" there the "bank" does not issue a 1099-INT unless the earnings were of some significant amount. For instance, I believe I have an account where they don't unless it is over a few hundred dollars. If you've been using your Apple Card regularly I would expect it to be a good amount. But just thought I'd put that out there.

If people are getting their forms today then I would expect they get to you in the next day or two.

This brings up another interesting question... I would consider Apple Card cash back as just that which (with a credit card) do not typically get taxed. But since the cash back is deposited into the savings account I wonder if it will indeed get taxed. That would be disappointing but not surprising.

DaveCPA

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2023
They’re not due to you until 1/31. The threshold for many institutions is $10, but you are required to report at $1.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I have some "savings" there the "bank" does not issue a 1099-INT unless the earnings were of some significant amount. For instance, I believe I have an account where they don't unless it is over a few hundred dollars. If you've been using your Apple Card regularly I would expect it to be a good amount. But just thought I'd put that out there.

If people are getting their forms today then I would expect they get to you in the next day or two.

This brings up another interesting question... I would consider Apple Card cash back as just that which (with a credit card) do not typically get taxed. But since the cash back is deposited into the savings account I wonder if it will indeed get taxed. That would be disappointing but not surprising.

Credit card cash-back rewards are not taxable. The IRS treats cash-back rewards as a rebate on spending and not as income, so you aren't required to pay income tax on these rewards.

Interest earned on cash-back rewards deposited to Apple Savings is taxed as interest income and will be included in the 1099-INT.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I would expect so, yes. If not, the statement for December will have the YTD interest on the first page.
So i still don't have anything showing up under Documents > Tax Documents in my apple wallet under Savings as of today (Feb 10, 2024). Should i simply get the statement for December 2023 and read the YTD interest listed on there and let that be the number that i forward on to my CPA?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
So i still don't have anything showing up under Documents > Tax Documents in my apple wallet under Savings as of today (Feb 10, 2024). Should i simply get the statement for December 2023 and read the YTD interest listed on there and let that be the number that i forward on to my CPA?
Yes, all your tax preparer will need is the YTD interest income on your December statement from Goldman Sachs Bank USA.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If you earned less than $10 in interest, banks are not required to send a 1099-INT. https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1099-int

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.