Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slower Pace

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
La Grande, Oregon, USA
When I ordered my new AppleTV I also paid the extra $29 for Apple Care, since it also covers my Airport Extreme. I was charged $29 right away and Apple said my Apple Care would be shipped in one or two days. (The order site says "Complete"). That was two weeks ago. Am I actually going to receive something, like a disk or whatever to register my AppleTV when it comes later this month? Why would they charge me for Apple Care three weeks before charging me for AppleTV? Will the warranty extend two years from when they charged me for the Apple Care or when they ship the AppleTV? :confused:

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
you get a box with a cd and a code, your warranty will start when you apply that code to your apple tv serial number. So whenever you recieve and register your AppleTV you can add that to start the warranty. I would probably just return it though. Why pay $29dollars to cover a $99 item?

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
it might be a good investment, i don't think apple will be going to apple tv 3.0 in the next two years and i've had a dish network box die several, several times.. then again, i have more faith in apple's products too though.

Slower Pace

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
La Grande, Oregon, USA
AppleCare

I purchased the AppleCare because it also covers my Airport Extreme, which is just over a year old. So basically it cost me just under 10% of my total purchase cost to insure both for another two years. Plus, I may have a lot of questions on AppleTV features in the next two years. Usually I don't buy the AppleCare insurance, but I did here for the above reasons.

I called Apple and yes, I get a package with a registration disk a couple weeks after my Apple TV is shipped. Thanks for your replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.