Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
I just bought a new 2015 Honda Accord and was wondering about when Apple Carplay will be available? It was announced a couple years ago (2014 keynote?) but somehow had never gotten off the ground yet. They did say that you'd be able to install it in any car that has a capable display (or a 3rd party system). My car has 2 displays, the one one top being high resolution so it shouldn't be a problem. I opted out of buying the navigation system (was an additional $1,500) when I should be able to simply hook up my iphone and use the map display feature. I wonder it is because of licensing agreement between the automakers and Apple. They probably know full well they wouldn't be able to sell the navigation systems if it were too easy to just hook up your phone to the display system...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There is a lot of news about the level of control Apple wants with the cars. Ford specifically wants to keep control of their dashboard.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Its a shame car manufacturers are so reluctant to give up control. The native experiences are often poor and lacking, and updates to services such as maps are extortionately priced. I think its a matter of time and the market will take over the decision away from car manufacturers, but currently were in this painful transition process. The change can't come soon enough in my opinion.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I don't know if the current incarnation of Carplay is able to really integrate with the onboard systems in cars currently. From my understanding CP is an app (overlay?) that basically takes inputs and routes them to the phone (and displays the phone output), so unless the phone was connected via the canbus it doesn't seem like vehicle dynamics would be available for use.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I have a new 2015 Sonata Limited with all packages...
It now has Android Auto but still waiting on CarPlay. It is installed by the dealership for free. They say it is coming soon. It has been that way for months. So annoying... I have a 6 Plus...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I just bought a new 2015 Honda Accord and was wondering about when Apple Carplay will be available? It was announced a couple years ago (2014 keynote?) but somehow had never gotten off the ground yet. They did say that you'd be able to install it in any car that has a capable display (or a 3rd party system). My car has 2 displays, the one one top being high resolution so it shouldn't be a problem. I opted out of buying the navigation system (was an additional $1,500) when I should be able to simply hook up my iphone and use the map display feature. I wonder it is because of licensing agreement between the automakers and Apple. They probably know full well they wouldn't be able to sell the navigation systems if it were too easy to just hook up your phone to the display system...
You can buy a Hyundai or Chevy with the promise of a software update by the end of the year.
You can buy a Ferrari now and get it I think.
You can put in a Pioneer headunit with it.

All the other manufacturers are dragging their feet.

dugbee

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Honda's Twitter account has numerous questions about CarPlay. The response is always that it will only be available on select 2016 models, and that no existing model will get support. (even the 2016 HR-V) There's little explanation, and it's even more puzzling given that they did a beta test with users on the 2015 CR-V.

My own guess is that since they are switching to a new OS for HondaLink in the later 2016 models, they don't want to support the existing stuff as well. Ironic, since Apple's own CarPlay page shows a Honda interface. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.