Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
It's amazing the dozens of hardware configurations Apple went through from 1984 - 2004, and then from 2004-2014, only really having introduced a handful at best. I'm talking radical here, not just relatively minor changes... g3 imac - g4 imac counts as does g4-g5. g5 imac - intel imac does not, nor does switch to aluminum or the macbook pro change to unibody (though that was at least a significant switch).

From what I can see, from 2004-2014, you really only had the MacBook air and the latest Mac Pro. If you want to stretch you can throw in the slim iMac or the retina macbook pro. Still, literally dozens in the previous periods.

One argument is that Apple found designs that work and are sticking with them. Another is that they just have lost their drive to try bold new ideas as often. Maybe a combination of the two?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's amazing the dozens of hardware configurations Apple went through from 1984 - 2004, and then from 2004-2014, only really having introduced a handful at best. I'm talking radical here, not just relatively minor changes... g3 imac - g4 imac counts as does g4-g5. g5 imac - intel imac does not, nor does switch to aluminum or the macbook pro change to unibody (though that was at least a significant switch).

From what I can see, from 2004-2014, you really only had the MacBook air and the latest Mac Pro. If you want to stretch you can throw in the slim iMac or the retina macbook pro. Still, literally dozens in the previous periods.

One argument is that Apple found designs that work and are sticking with them. Another is that they just have lost their drive to try bold new ideas as often. Maybe a combination of the two?

The unibody macbook pro doesn't count to you? Radical rethinking of how a computer can be built around an exoskeleton instead of piecing together internal support structures.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Super nice to see some Mac love.
iPads might be all the rage — got one — but personally I'm using my MacBook Pro 95% of the time.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I used things like pc pursuit in high school (1987-1990) to telnet to BBS's sidestepping long distance charges, that would be considered an "internet" service. There was electronic mail then. The internet isn't just the web.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Well as a musician who wanted to record al by himself, I'm old enough to remember there WAS an alternative, named Atari.

…but to be fair, the Atari ST was very, very heavily influenced by the Mac, to the point of earning the nickname "Jackintosh". Although the decision to include a MIDI interface as standard on the ST was certainly influential.

Anyway, neither Apple nor Atari invented microcomputers in music - e.g. Vince Clarke (Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Erasure) swore by the BBC Micro.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Weird to have Zimmer involved since he has famously been a PC user (Cubase) for years now. And in general Apple had a huge chunk of the music industry for years but much of it has slipped away. Still a lot of studios and name guys using mac but not anything close to what it used to be.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"Like seriously what's your deal dude?"

Hey, thanks for asking. Just wanted to remind you that there were other companies running right alongside Apple, with their own innovations!

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN

This isn't a sign of anything other than that of a company that understands how to focus and execute now. The vast number of products you cite was not a good thing and Apple suffered because of it. Apple's product offerings were a mess before Jobs came back. In my opinion, the most important move he made was to clear out the clutter and reduce the number of SKUs.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
"Like seriously what's your deal dude?"

Hey, thanks for asking. Just wanted to remind you that there were other companies running right alongside Apple, with their own innovations!

TROLL, GO AWAY. This post is about the life of the Mac. Period. Basic rule of forums: don't change the subject in the middle. Learn it.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
¡Feliz Cumpaños, Mac!

Congrats on 30 years of innovation, Macintosh. I am excited to see what you become in the next 30 years.

Well done on the homepage acknowledgment, too, :apple:, by making us feel like part of the celebration.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
@laurim

I love it when Fanboyz talk nasty. "Basic rule of forums:" - there are rules - you're just making that stuff up, right?

I've probably been a Mac owner longer than you have, it's this tear-jerking sentimentality that I find over-the-moon.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
@laurim

I love it when Fanboyz talk nasty. "Basic rule of forums:" - there are rules - you're just making that stuff up, right?

I've probably been a Mac owner longer than you have, it's this tear-jerking sentimentality that I find over-the-moon.

The first time I used a Mac was in 1985. Used a Mac when I worked at P&G in 1991 because the statistical analysis software I wanted to use was MAC-only. Used a Mac IIci when I went back to school for computer graphic design. The first Mac I actually owned was a PowerPC (7000?). Then I owned a gray G4 and then a 2008 Aluminum Mac Pro and 17" MacBook Pro. Then two 2011 17" MacBook Pros and soon a 2013 MacPro.

Just because you don't understand the impact Macs have had on some of our lives doesn't mean it isn't valid. It's actually sad that you might have had no experience with a life-changing technology. Maybe you're blah about your entire life…

P.S. I don't appreciate being called a "fanboy" when I am a woman. Maybe you think all computer users are men??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.