Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Ive will be the next to leave in my honest opinion. It was rumoured at the start of the year.

That rumor was shown to be complete nonsense back then. And you may try to suggest a company other than Apple that would allow Jonathan Ive to build the products he wants to build.

Papajohn56

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2005
Cook was a COO, and his focus will be on the bottom line. Not customer focus, not innovation, not quality, not performance...

I know "Ive" wouldnt be the best CEO from the operational and financial standpoint...but the CEO of Apple has to be an enthusiastic visionary who loves its products and its customers. From what ive read, thats not Cook.

That doesn't mean he'll be a bad CEO. For all you know, Ive could be the new front-man that everyone sees at conventions and product launches. Jobs recommended Cook take the helm for a reason, and I doubt you have an insider line to Apple to know that reason.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
You can't be a genius forever. Once you are established, your role model changes. Goes for men and companies.

There will be another company snatching the genius award from Apple ten years from now.

What Apple can do: stay in touch with talent, keep OS X great, and computers and accompanying software at top level.

A cool mind will keep Apple in corporate heaven for many years.

By the way: for all those who deplore the lack of attention for professional users: maybe iSteve's departure isn't that terrible. He has lead the company up to the top. It's like the revolutionary suddenly becomes the ruler. Another type of leader will take his place, and it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
The assistant type to run daily operations.

But Apple will need a visionary guy to stay ahead.

You can't hire these.

Looks like there will be another Apple start-up snatching the crown ten years from now.

Why can't you hire visionary types? You can hire them all day long you can't train someone to be a visionary. Plus Steve isn't leaving Apple his idea's still passed down to R&D.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Why can't you hire visionary types? You can hire them all day long you can't train someone to be a visionary. Plus Steve isn't leaving Apple his idea's still passed down to R&D.

You could, but a corporation wouldn't.

Innovation is always coming from individuals, never from groups.

And corporations are the most alien creatures to individualism there is.

I could think of an individual coming in and taking over.

Corporate executives, who are group people, would need to be able to recognize individual talent. Which they can't.

This is why so many innovators start out on their own, but rarely rise through the ranks of a corporation. If you stand out in a corporation, you are the enemy of all the rank and file.

There is the exception of outside people coming in and change everything, like it happened with Boeing. But this is mostly the case when a corporation is in trouble.

What will happen if a corporation is on the top of the world like Apple is right now?

It would take a very mature, almost wise individual, to step back and find that talent, and then everybody would work with him right away.

But would that person get new ideas through?

You need to have that stature of Steve Jobs to push weird sounding innovations through (and most innovations sound weird in the beginning).

This is why I think that Apple's best bet is to connect to creative individuals on the outside, but not bringing them in. It just doesn't work with corporate culture.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
So Tim Cook's resounding contribution is higher profit margins? How about quality and innovation?

LAME

In business, at the end of the day, the only things that matter are how much money you've made so far and how long you will continue to make lots and lots of money.

Also, it doesn't matter how innovative or high-quality your products are. If you can't make money on those products, you're not going to be producing those high-quality/innovative products for a very long time, simple as that.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This really makes perfect sense. There's going to be a select staff of visionaries-- already at Apple-- that will inform the product road map. Jobs used to run that. Cook will continue to focus on the nuts-and-bolts reality of acquiring resources and balancing the books with good MBA basics. Jobs never did that. Ever.

I am very sad to see Steve no longer at the helm. He's arguably the best CEO in the history of CEO's. But I think Apple will be fine in the long run. It's important to understand how he's moulded Apple into the company it is today. Apple simply wouldn't exist without his return. But now that he's righted the ship and instilled the mojo he needed to instill, I think they'll do fine going forward.

----------

That doesn't mean he'll be a bad CEO. For all you know, Ive could be the new front-man that everyone sees at conventions and product launches. Jobs recommended Cook take the helm for a reason, and I doubt you have an insider line to Apple to know that reason.

Exactly. No one person can cover all the bases. Apple has a huge set of creative folks at very senior levels. That's unlike most companies, where it's dominated by MBA's. These are folks who are visionaries, and have always worked with Ive and the rest of the executive team, to produce great products.

Look at how Apple has deemphasized Steve, in the last couple years, at their major conferences. They may not have the charismatic man that is Steve Jobs at the helm, but they have a lot of talented guys willing to step in and talk about their niche.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re oroginal article
glad a person like mr cook takes the captains cahir
also is key that mr jobs remain as company visionary
just hope his health gets better

derkunstler

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
HELL
He seems okay... But

He seems okay... but, he is a bit more corporate. I thin Steve was a child of the liberal school. hanging about Stanford, taking in different points of view. I think Mr. Cook is of the Business school and managment scene. It's all facts and figures with those types. The bottomline is end goal and art is irrelevant unless it serves some purpose. Much of industry is dominated by these types these days, thus the reason why art is dead. 'Pop art' rules and corporatism has run amok. There should always be a balance but these days there isn't and as a result innovation suffers. One can 'Only' be qualified if he/she has a degree. Experience and vision are irrelevant. Whenever a certificate is placed over raw talent you wil never have an edge. Apple's edge has often resided in the Steve court. The innovators lap. The market kids help to draw the boundaries but progress is driven by innovation and the sheer courage to take risks. i fear that the corporate types may rule over Apple one day. I don't know. I see what they have done to Disney. they don't even have a cell animation department any more. The bottomline wins out over tradition. because tradition and art are irrelevant. And the market is trained t owant whatever they are given. And so rightfully they feel a need t odefend it even if its crap. Thus the Microsoft fan base.

However I do feel that Apple will be okay for a swell bit. Seems Cook and the others were pretty close to Steve and will follow his lead closely. I do worry for Steve. I saw a recent picture of him from just a couple of days ago after he resigned. I shall not post the link here at all. The image was very distressful. I fear we may receive. I , well. it's just very sad. :( I wish I had the power to help heal everyone in the world. I really do. I honour Apple in my work. Steve helped me by creating the app store he gave a excluded lonely visual artist a chance. To him I am forever greatful. I tip my hat to Mr. Cook and look forward to his era and the innovation he shall bring to Apple under his helm. Life is all about changes and new possibilities. To...

THINK DIFFERENT:apple:

PS

Please do not ask me for the link.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Memo to Apple's Tim Cook: bring jobs back

Op-ed piece in today's Mercury New:

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_18791137 (quoted in entirety)

Opinion: Memo to Apple's Tim Cook: bring (lowercase) jobs back to America

By Michele Nash-Hoff and Curtis Ellis

Special to the Mercury News
Posted: 08/30/2011 08:00:00 PM PDT

Apple is recognized as one of the most successful and innovative companies in history. Steve Jobs made Apple wildly successful with innovative products that command a premium price in the marketplace. His name on hundreds of patents, Jobs has been compared to Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.

Now that Jobs is stepping down, everyone is asking how his successor, Tim Cook, Apple's COO, can top that act. Here's how: Bring jobs back. I'm not talking about Steve Jobs. Tim Cook can bring the jobs making Apple products back to the United States. He is the best man to do it -- after all, Cook was instrumental in establishing and managing Apple's manufacturing supply chain.

Apple is in a unique position to manufacture in the U.S. In a sector driven by price, Apple does not compete on price. It competes on quality. Apple products cost more and command a premium price because they're better. Sound familiar? This has traditionally been the hallmark of American goods. Buyers would pay more for products made in the USA because they were superior.

Look on Apple's label and you'll see "Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in China." Foxconn, the giant contract manufacturer that makes iPhones and iPads in China for Apple, made headlines for its notorious working conditions when a number of its workers committed suicide. (The company addressed the problem by installing steel mesh over windows, hanging nets below open stairwells and forcing employees to sign a legally binding document promising they won't kill themselves.)

But Apple can well afford American labor. The trade journal Circuits Assembly reports Foxconn is paid about $6 for every iPod and iPhone unit. In the final analysis, labor is a small part, probably less than 10 percent, of Apple's cost of manufacturing, far less than capital equipment and components.

Apple has always been a leader in the consumer electronics industry. Steve Jobs opened new markets and created demand with models that did not even exist before. Tim Cook can lead the way again with a business model that will open new markets, boost demand -- and spark broader economic recovery.

Lack of demand is the major problem facing the economy today. Apple will boost demand by bringing jobs back to the U.S. and paying employees enough to buy the products they make (hat tip to Henry Ford). It will be creating a market as well as products. Right now, you can be sure the workers at Foxconn's suicide factories, earning $150 a month and living in dormitories 10 to a room, have neither the money nor the time to buy and use Apple products.

From its creation by a couple of inventors in a garage to its legacy of innovative products and passionately loyal customers, Apple has been a uniquely American success story. By bringing jobs back, Tim Cook can write the next chapter in the story and make Apple truly as American as, well, apple pie.

MICHELE NASH-HOFF is founder and president of ElectroFab, a sales agency representing high-tech manufacturers in California and author of "Can American Manufacturing be Saved? Why We Should and How We Can". CURTIS ELLIS is executive director of the American Jobs Alliance, an independent, nonpartisan not-for-profit organization. They wrote this article for this newspaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.