Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Oh geez. Will this line of thought never cease? The poor horse is so mutilated -- is there even anything left to kick?

(If your imagination can take you no further than to see a watch as only a timepiece or jewelery just accept the fact you are not a creative person and think linearly. No shame in that, everyone is widely differently. It's what makes us all unique. But don't beat up people b/c they can think differently and reinvent and update a common object for modern life.)

A watch is by definition a timepiece.

These new 'wrist computers' aren't watches, they just serve a secondary function as a watch.

I agree with brianvictor7. Cell phones took the place of watches, and a whole lot more.

I cannot see the point in strapping something to my wrist, something I have to worry about charging frequently; just for updates - to which I can easily see if I just take my phone out of my damned pocket for 2 seconds.

There may be a market for this new 'watch'.

Personally, I just cannot see it yet.

junker

macrumors 6502
This! Based on what's out there now, I hope Apple see's what not to do... don't have 1 day battery life. Don't make it huge. Don't pack it with obvious features... give us something new and useful.... give us a reason for a smart watch to exist besides being a novelty.

I would be interested in the idea, but if the execution looks anything like that thing in the article there is no way I'll get it. I like a clean simple look (in general and in watches) I still actually wear a watch... silver, simple faced, no numbers made by B Swiss ( even bought it in Lucern, Switzerland.

I know most people's taste may differ and I don't expect it to look like what I like, but seriously - please not whats in the head of the article.

I have to say, I'm interested to see what sort of function they bring me that I will "need" apart from my phone and existing watch can provide. I don't really work out much (though active), have the iphone5 with vibration, sound and lights flashing to alert me to a call. Do your best to engage me Apple!

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
There's technology that allows the powering of devices through body heat. I expect Apple to think outside the box and maybe implement something like this.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
I haven't worn a watch for 2 years. My iPhone 4S took that job over. I am curious to know what utility Apple thinks a smartwatch has for the end user. We'll see in 2014!

But a watch is not just a tool for utility.. It's also an accessory. It *has* to look good. I'm actually considering wearing watches again. For the looks, more than anything else.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I'd so like to 'fast-forward' to the keynote unveiling of this thing...

Rather than enduring the inevitable drip-feed of part leaks, and evolution of mockup designs, that eventually give it all away... dampening any surprise factor at the launch.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
all looks like Apple is putting out this "iWatch" just for the sake of putting out a new product. These smartwatches are a useless gimmick that only geeks like. And besides all of this, nowadays watch is more of a fashion add-on than a device for looking at what time it is. Unless if you're a geek. Or isheep. In that case yes - it's the best thing in the world bla bla bla.

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Korean analysts have been claiming that Apple has "plans" to buy OLED from Korean manufacturers for so long, one of them is bound to be true, RIGHT? I guess a theoretical iWatch has the best chance, just for the power savings.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Oh geez. Will this line of thought never cease? The poor horse is so mutilated -- is there even anything left to kick?

(If your imagination can take you no further than to see a watch as only a timepiece or jewelery just accept the fact you are not a creative person and think linearly. No shame in that, everyone is widely differently. It's what makes us all unique. But don't beat up people b/c they can think differently and reinvent and update a common object for modern life.)

It is a common reaction to question why somebody would want to do something, if one doesn't have the need for a product/feature or imagination lacks.

I read a thread where somebody asked if there was an app or a way to remote control the camera on an iPad or iPhone.

Instead of answering, many posters questioned why one would want to do that.

Unless somebody pre-chews what the public is supposed to digest this will always be an issue.

Apple has been really good at "pre-chewing" , so let's hope they have something useful up their sleeve.

PS: Don't like every product they make, but what I use (iPone, iPad, MBP) is top shelf)

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
all looks like Apple is putting out this "iWatch" just for the sake of putting out a new product. These smartwatches are a useless gimmick that only geeks like. And besides all of this, nowadays watch is more of a fashion add-on than a device for looking at what time it is. Unless if you're a geek. Or isheep. In that case yes - it's the best thing in the world bla bla bla.

Good thinking Smartass, you should totally apply for CEO of Apple and show them how its done!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Big innovation from Apple and Samsung. Now I can read hours and see if there are updates on Facebook without relying on my phone which I always carry with me. Nice!

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States

Sorry, wasn't my intention to come across as beating anyone up. (maybe I need some coffee this morning). ;) If anyone can make the product interesting, I'm sure it will be Apple.

treppenmanfred

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
It *has* to look good.
I think thats the point. Even if it has apples simplicity, everyone has a different taste when it comes to putting gadgets into their faces (google glass) and on their wrists. And if I know apple right, they won't do something that's just an accessory. Most likely they will do a stand alone device thats capable of connecting to the iPhone, but is useful even without it. So something like an new iPod Shuffle with a Display and and a somehow "attachable" (let's leave that to apple ;) ) wristband maybe it (or you just clip it to your sleeve). This could be some standard simple one made by apple or any other from third-party-suppliers to fit everyones taste. just like they do it with the cases.

I still use my watch and I think it's easier and faster to check on the time without pulling out my phone every time, especially on the job where schedule is important an i often don't have a free hand.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
But a watch is not just a tool for utility.. It's also an accessory. It *has* to look good. I'm actually considering wearing watches again. For the looks, more than anything else.

The idea of wearing technology for fashion is actually something I've been hoping for since a Time Magazine article WAY back in the early 90's. They had a CGI of someone wearing a necklace and bracelet with technologic wonders in them.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

These new 'wrist computers' aren't watches, they just serve a secondary function as a watch.

I agree with brianvictor7. Cell phones took the place of watches, and a whole lot more.

I cannot see the point in strapping something to my wrist, something I have to worry about charging frequently; just for updates - to which I can easily see if I just take my phone out of my damned pocket for 2 seconds.

There may be a market for this new 'watch'.

Personally, I just cannot see it yet.

iTouch ID button on wrist connected to front door lock.
There, I just came up with something.

Who knows what is going to be on the wrist device that Apple is apparently making. I also doubt that it will be just for notifications. But I'm sure some interesting things can be done with it.

bryada

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Inner Mongolia
I wonder if/when Apple will have all of their products made in house by their production staff. I know it will probably never happen but it would put a greater focus on quality control and their product launches would go back to being secrets and not 90% known by the world at the time of the unveilings.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
iTouch ID button on wrist connected to front door lock.
There, I just came up with something.

You don't even need Touch ID. Treat the watch as a key. Unlike your phone, the watch is semi-permanently attached to you. That's one essential property of a watch - that it is with you all the time. Any product like an iWatch should take advantage of that property.

----------

That's pretty insulting, isn't it?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
My wishlist

• A curved screen that wraps around the wrist giving a large display instead of a huge G-Shock type brick on the top
  • Curved battery that is embedded all the way around the device including the strap giving 5 days battery life with normal use
  • Can work independently of any smartphone, but will also accompany a smartphone with a compliment additional features
  • NFC for easy payments
  • Intelligent operation (ie is only on when you're looking at it
  • Live health monitoring
  • A price tag to directly compete with Galaxy Gear and other smartwatches

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
Anyone remember when Ive gave a slight insight into design? If you call it a 'lunch box' you are fencing yourself into certain designs and ideas. So it probably won't be called an iWatch. iWrist? iNano? Who knows.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Apple hasn't said WHAT this device will be, or WHAT it will be called. Why are you adamant placing this device in a 'watch by definition timepiece category'?

I think everyone else is using watch to mean something on a person's wrist.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I'd so like to 'fast-forward' to the keynote unveiling of this thing...

Rather than enduring the inevitable drip-feed of part leaks, and evolution of mockup designs, that eventually give it all away... dampening any surprise factor at the launch.

....says the guy on a rumors website. People are weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.