Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not sure that Apple indexing rather than using the far more complete Google indexing is so great for the users at this point.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple doesn’t need to enter web search. Using integrated search engines like Spotlight and Siri is way better, just as Google is focussing more and more on Google Now and Microsoft on Cortana. There are ample search engines that can do the rest.

Exactly. Apple's focus should be on making Siri and Spotlight best in class. I don't think anyone can say Siri is best in class right now. We know Microsoft has big plans for Cortana so Apple can't afford to let Siri fall further behind.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Google is in the advertising business, but seeing as they have such a vast amount of services, I don't think Apple would be allowed to buy Google because of anti-trust issues. DOJ and EC would probably intervene.

The situation between Intel and AMD is obviously a bit different, but Intel basically can't buy AMD, since that would effectively give them complete monopoly on the market.

Apple and Google are such giants at this stage, that I think they'd face a similar issue.

Agreed. No chance that merger would pass Anti-Trust issues.

Also the takeover would at the very least be somewhat hostile and it would have to be at a serious premium. Google's market cap is $181 billion. Apple would probably have to offer $300 billion at least and maybe much more to buy it from all its shareholders. And for that kind of money (more likely newly issued stock, diluting the heck out of Apple's current shareholders) Apple would get not a whole heck off a lot more earnings.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Exactly. Apple's focus should be on making Siri and Spotlight best in class. I don't think anyone can say Siri is best in class right now.We know Microsoft has big plans for Cortana so Apple can't afford to let Siri fall further behind.

Completely agree! Even so, I fear that's a tragic understatement - Siri is absolutely appalling. It works worse now than it ever did on iOS 5.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
If you count products by their individual SKU that's really not a smart way of looking at it. iPad. iPhone. Apple watch. 3 products. The iPad COULD be broken down into 2 products. But saying a 64GB iPad is a totally different product from a 128GB is idiocy.

Apple is still focusing on just a few things. And one primary: an ecosystem

The first thing Steve Jobs did upon his return to Apple was significantly cut the number of products they offered and forced the company to focus on what it did well. The sheer number of SKU's currently between the iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch alone seem to suggest history is repeating itself.

Does the average consumer (not the average reader of this blog) really have any idea what the difference between the iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6 Plus is - or even care? Even the Apple Watch is a mash up of SKU's. Leave Google search as the default, keep Beats out of my iPhone, and focus on building the best iPhone you can.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Just buy DuckDuckGo already! :p

This! I have switched over to DuckDuckGo and it works just fine and has a way better privacy policy. Apple could buy and improve on their technology. And I am not aware of any Patent disputes with DDG, which could be important.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
YMMV depending on your location but it found Apple Maps to be quite accurate. Only once in the past several years has it been wrong and I switched to gmaps. However it has on a few occasions given me better results than gmaps.

However. I don't use Apple maps in Korea when I'm there but it's better than gmaps in China.

Interesting. But just as Apple Maps is no match for Google Maps, the same will probably be true of an Apple search engine vs Google search.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Apple will release a search engine I believe. They need more revenue streams to keep growing and that could potential be a big one.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If you count products by their individual SKU that's really not a smart way of looking at it. iPad. iPhone. Apple watch. 3 products. The iPad COULD be broken down into 2 products. But saying a 64GB iPad is a totally different product from a 128GB is idiocy.

Apple is still focusing on just a few things. And one primary: an ecosystem

The iPhone can easily be broken down into 4 products right now: 5C, 5S, 6, 6+. Most customers don't know the difference. The iPad can be broken down in iPad and iPad Mini, with an iPad Pro on the horizon. The Apple Watch has 3 models. Then they have 3 iPod lines.

The Mac lines currently have at least 6 products, but I would actually argue that the MacBook Pro is 3 lines (13", 13" retina, and 15"), and that the iMac is also 3 lines (21", 27", 27" retina). So you arrive at 10 different Mac lines there.

The only product line that doesn't seem muddled is the Apple TV.

So all together they've got 23 different product lines (+ the iPad Pro is coming, so 24). I think it's too many. As someone else said, when Steve Jobs came back to Apple, he cut down the number of product lines from dozens down to just 4.

It'd be interesting to see how many product lines Apple had when Steve Jobs died vs how many they have now... but I don't have the time to go back and see which exact product lines they had at the time of his death. I expect I'd find it was less than 18, though.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Exactly. Apple's focus should be on making Siri and Spotlight best in class. I don't think anyone can say Siri is best in class right now. We know Microsoft has big plans for Cortana so Apple can't afford to let Siri fall further behind.

Lol. You must be joking. I use all 3 and can say both Siri and Cortana are much better than Google Now as a personal assistant. And Siri is better than Cortana at most things. The only thing Cortana definitely does better than Siri at the moment is third party integration.

Most who actually have extensive experience with all 3 would agree Siri is best in class and the others are still playing catchup. They are gaining though so Apple shouldn't be resting on its laurels.

indieshack

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
I trust Apple to make great hardware and operating systems; I trust Google to do web search. I think they're making a mistake if they think they can switch over providers like that.

I still won't use Apple maps, always use Google after using Apple's maps a few times after release.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Steve Jobs saw Android as Google's attempt to kill the iPhone. Could this be the retaliation - Apple Search as an attempt to kill Google?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Completely agree! Even so, I fear that's a tragic understatement - Siri is absolutely appalling. It works worse now than it ever did on iOS 5.

In what way has Siri gotten worse that doesn't have anything to do with the way you speak?

----------

I tested both Cortana and Siri. They both have keen advantages over each other. Siri is doing fine . . . and Apple CAN afford to let Siri fall behind. There have the money :p

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007

"APPALLING" - that's quite a superlative. I'm finding SIRI's voice recognition has increased quite a bit recently. On the Apple Watch it seems to do an initial pass then a second one to improve the result.

As far as giving a single accurate answer - as opposed to a long list of search results - i've always found that to be good on SIRI.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
The iPhone can easily be broken down into 4 products right now: 5C, 5S, 6, 6+. Most customers don't know the difference. The iPad can be broken down in iPad and iPad Mini, with an iPad Pro on the horizon. The Apple Watch has 3 models. Then they have 3 iPod lines.

The Mac lines currently have at least 6 products, but I would actually argue that the MacBook Pro is 3 lines (13", 13" retina, and 15"), and that the iMac is also 3 lines (21", 27", 27" retina). So you arrive at 10 different Mac lines there.

The only product line that doesn't seem muddled is the Apple TV.

So all together they've got 23 different product lines (+ the iPad Pro is coming, so 24). I think it's too many. As someone else said, when Steve Jobs came back to Apple, he cut down the number of product lines from dozens down to just 4.

It'd be interesting to see how many product lines Apple had when Steve Jobs died vs how many they have now... but I don't have the time to go back and see which exact product lines they had at the time of his death. I expect I'd find it was less than 18, though.

You separating models into sizes? Why? They still do the exact same thing. Are you saying that people shouldn't have the choice of what size Macbook screen or color of iPhone they should get?
I don't know what consumers you're talking to but most people in my area definitely know that key differences between the iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6 plus.
That and the fact the Apple as a company is much bigger than it was when Steve first came back as CEO. They have teams for each major product, software, and service.

This Steve Jobs praising needs to stop.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The first thing Steve Jobs did upon his return to Apple was significantly cut the number of products they offered and forced the company to focus on what it did well. The sheer number of SKU's currently between the iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch alone seem to suggest history is repeating itself.

Does the average consumer (not the average reader of this blog) really have any idea what the difference between the iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6 Plus is - or even care? Even the Apple Watch is a mash up of SKU's. Leave Google search as the default, keep Beats out of my iPhone, and focus on building the best iPhone you can.

This would be relevant if the 5C and 5S weren't older generations still on sale. If they were independently maintained product lines, there would be confusion, but they aren't.

As for the 6 and the 6 Plus? While people who really follow Apple know the differences, most people judge them on the biggest difference: Screen size. Easy.

Again, the Watch is a "mash up of SKUs" because it's customisable. The function is the same. Same with colours of the iPhone.

Or, from when Steve Jobs was CEO: the iMac + the iPod nano.

Honestly, when will this "without Steve, Apple is screwed" BS just end?

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I guess maybe no lessons were learned from Apple Maps vs Google maps.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Maps and Siri have always worked great for me... not sure why so much hatred.

Chafka

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Interesting. But just as Apple Maps is no match for Google Maps, the same will probably be true of an Apple search engine vs Google search.

Funny you should say that. The other day I asked Siri if Apple Pay worked at Office Max (forgot my wallet...). Siri said "That's a good question." I tried a bunch of different ways... same answer.

So I opened up the google app on my phone and asked it the same question and a bunch of stories popped up stating that it indeed does (and is on the list from Apple!).

So yeah, no match in my opinion and actually very disappointing.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
In what way has Siri gotten worse that doesn't have anything to do with the way you speak?

The fact it's slow as anything to process a request, even when you're on a 150MB/s connection. The fact that nothing is offline, and everything has to be bounced off a server - so a simple request like 'call David' won't work if you have a sketchy connection. And yet a request like 'call David' would work on an iPhone 4 with the 'Voice Recognition' feature. That's a step backwards. To not have any offline functionality in the event of limited connectivity is absolutely ridiculous.

Try using Siri while driving. Even with full 3G signal, it's so, so poor.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

Strange because Steve introduced the MacBook Air, iPhone, the Apple TV, and the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.