Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wenghan1992

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
I just hope a better compatibility with office so i don't have to use office for complicated document or powerpoint slide.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Actually, if you want to know what's on a company's mind, you look at their ads. And Microsoft is scared ******** of Docs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Google-Docs-Office-Commercials-Productivity-Gamble,22542.html

Tomshardware.com. Really, that's your backup.

It's called marketing. Samsung is the largest seller of Smartphones in the world and they trash Apple.

Nokia trashes Apple and Samsung.

Apple's senior management trashes Android & Google.

Google trashes Apple and Microsoft.

None of that has anything to do with the FACT that Microsoft is the standard in Office Productivity software.

Office 365 is merely an evolution to their box set as the market moves towards an online, social market to collaborate with others and increase productivity.

Renzatic

Suspended

Yup.

"Our goal is to get to the 90 percent of users who don’t need to have the most advanced features of Office"

...which means they're not targetting Office's key demographic: IT and corporate. They're aiming more towards the consumer market, which could easily be taken from MS. Office has always been a decent enough performer there, but their bread and butter have always been the two I listed above.

People who need Office will continue buying it. Those who don't, they can use Docs or buy the iWork suite. It'll ultimately make nothing more than a small dent to MS' bottom line, and will hardly make them irrelevant.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Yup.

...which means they're not targetting Office's key demographic: IT and corporate. They're aiming more towards the consumer market, which could easily be taken from MS. Office has always been a decent enough performer there, but their bread and butter have always been the two I listed above.

People who need Office will continue buying it. Those who don't, they can use Docs or buy the iWork suite. It'll ultimately make nothing more than a small dent to MS' bottom line, and will hardly make them irrelevant.

Incorrect. This trend is now 3 years old.

http://blog.rescuetime.com/2010/06/17/google-is-eating-microsofts-lunch-one-tasty-bite-at-a-time/

jake1776

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Idaho
D000000med!

P.S. The iPad mini, the iPhone 5, the Retina MacBook Pro and the new iMac were all great releases for Steve Ghost. Can't wait to see what Steve Ghost has in store for iOS 7, the new Mac Pro (which has been promised, btw), iWork 2014, the iWatch and iTV.

Shame about those iPhone web apps, Steve. Steve Ghost would never have let that happen.

Okay, make fun of me by saying "doomed" ---- I never said that Apple hasn't come out with ANYTHING. What I'm saying is that watching Apple perform lately is like watching Babe Ruth win baseball games --- but quitting in the 8th inning when it is clear that the team is ahead. My point is that even if you have great products, you should operate your company at full throttle when your competitors are gunning for your throat and you have the cash to make good investments. Yes, Apple is a great company STILL and they still make good products. I'm just saying that they are looking a little lazy. Is that so hard to swallow? And some of the people on here actually agree with me that it does seem strange that they don't seem to hire as many developers as they could.

Renzatic

Suspended
Lunaoso beat me to it.

Certainly more people are going to be using Google Docs over time, specially in the consumer market. But until Google offers an entire suite that can match Office in every way imaginable, they'll never see much gain in the corporate sector.

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
We don't have to wait. If the updates are good and people like them they were part of the roadmap Steve left behind. If they don't then Steve would never have blah blah blah and Apple is doomed to failure without Steve and Tim Cook needs to be fired.
If you really believe that then you are an idiot! Do you think Steve was the only one making decisions? Did you forget Steve had a whole army of talent underneath him... AND to be honest.. The real genius is Jony Ive and has been and is the one driving much of the innovation at Apple along with a team of very smart people. I can not even take your post seriously and believe your are really that ignorant ... Wow! -- Steve was good but he was only a small part of the equation.

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
Okay, make fun of me by saying "doomed" ---- I never said that Apple hasn't come out with ANYTHING. What I'm saying is that watching Apple perform lately is like watching Babe Ruth win baseball games --- but quitting in the 8th inning when it is clear that the team is ahead. My point is that even if you have great products, you should operate your company at full throttle when your competitors are gunning for your throat and you have the cash to make good investments. Yes, Apple is a great company STILL and they still make good products. I'm just saying that they are looking a little lazy. Is that so hard to swallow? And some of the people on here actually agree with me that it does seem strange that they don't seem to hire as many developers as they could.

Apple works at full throttle silently.. Always has always will. Then "bam" they will bitch slap everyone with something amazing... I do not think you know Apple history very well as your comments show this. They are very conservative and always have been and they work in stealth mode.. They are fine!! Patients!!!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I fear that since Steve Jobs passed away, Apple has gone back to what it did when Steve Jobs left the first time (1985-1997). Essentially, the company is mired in a deep sleep. And I say this as a HUGE Apple fan (I ONLY buy Apple). There is no reason that iWork should have to endure this long of an update. With all the BILLIONS of dollars that Apple has on hand, they should be purchasing FAR more patents and startups than they have in recent years. Instead, I'm watching as Facebook, Microsoft, Google, and Samsung all make these major acquisitions --- and with far less cash than Apple. The MacPro hasn't been updated in YEARS ... the iphone hasn't had a major software update basically ever ... the company killed the 17" MBP for high end users... and they can't even get their campus built. I just don't know what this company is waiting for. It seems that with all the money they have on hand ... perhaps their priorities are lacking.

Dare I say it ... Time for a new CEO? IMO, the CEO of Apple should be operating as if this is Apple's last week on earth (even though they might be at or near the top, they shouldn't think like that). There is no sense of urgency with this company anymore. When Jobs was running the show ... it was like watching someone with ADHD throwing out one idea after another. Now we just get better cameras and faster processors.

Why must every news item have a Tim Cook bashing reply?

autrefois

macrumors 65816

This is a clear mistake on Apple's part. Haven't they read countless posts on MacRumors (such as several in this thread) explaining how Apple has plenty of developers as it is, and throwing more people into the works can't possibly make software updates better or faster — and might even make things worse?!

What a waste of the biggest corporate cash pile on Earth to be hiring new people! After all, wasn't iWork's last major version on the Mac released just in 2009? Obviously the current team, who originally developed iWork '09 for Leopard (not Snow Leopard, but Leopard) has everything under control.

Hiring more staff to release an update cannot possibly do any good and is really going to come back and hurt Apple in the long run. During the past 5 years, they did manage to add full screen support to iWork, didn't they? People have unrealistic expectations. Why fix what isn't broken? Keep the current iWork team how it is and stop trying to burn money by hiring new people. Just the other day I heard a rumor that by the year 2026 the iWork team will be adding the ability to sort lists alphabetically in Pages...

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I fear that since Steve Jobs passed away, Apple has gone back to what it did when Steve Jobs left the first time (1985-1997). Essentially, the company is mired in a deep sleep.

Actually in those no Jobs years Apple was very busy. Allowing clones, making many different hardware (like newtons, printers, cameras and more). So much stuff and it was killing Apple. The day Jobs was back on board, Jobs discontinued it all. ANd for a very good reason as we all know.

And you want to replace Cook with who? Another bean counter? Cook is a great CEO, one of the best. Jobs tried to be designer, CEO, and everything else all in one. Not the typical CEO. And I doubt there is anyone out there with the skills or want to be a 2nd jobs. Cook is doing a great job. I say keep him there as long as we can.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I actually agree with a lot of what you said. We aren't completely on a different page. And I've been an Apple fan about as long as you. One thing that perhaps I should clarify---I am perfectly fine with being patient. I agree with you that Apple will give us what we need. The part that I DISAGREE with ... it's that with all of the cash Apple has on hand --- they seem extremely disconnected to the fact that the entire industry is trying to eat them alive and they are fighting with one hand (cash) behind their back. I'm watching all these developers and acquisitions going on at other companies at a time when Apple is in the right place to crush everyone by securing the IP and the developers. Instead, Apple is simply reacting with lawsuits on older IP. This is totally bizarre to me. It wouldn't even take 10% of Apple's cash reserves to totally change the industry climate. I want Apple to have the "thermonuclear" attitude of Jobs. Not so much with lawsuits ... but at least with regard to developing new things. It should NOT take 3 years + for an iTV. And Apple wonders why its stock price is falling. Their stock price would not be falling if they had bought up all the patents they could get their hands on and hired all of the best developers in Silicon Valley.

Google is going to end up writing down $5B for Motorola; the IP wasn't worth much of anything. Motorola as a Android builder has a poor track record that might not have any ROI. This would be an example that you would want Apple to follow?

It is true that Apple has lost out in bidding wars for a few small companies to Google, Facebook or whomever. At the same time, what "major" acquisitions could be absorbed into Apple's culture without serious indigestion? Apple has a good track record in buying small, IP heavy companies and or developing in house. Why change now?

Perhaps you might note some companies that would make a good fit with Apple.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I still kind of chuckle when MR quotes a website named "Apple Bitch" on their front page xD

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Google is going to end up writing down $5B for Motorola; the IP wasn't worth much of anything. Motorola as a Android builder has a poor track record that might not have any ROI. This would be an example that you would want Apple to follow?

It is true that Apple has lost out in bidding wars for a few small companies to Google, Facebook or whomever. At the same time, what "major" acquisitions could be absorbed into Apple's culture without serious indigestion? Apple has a good track record in buying small, IP heavy companies and or developing in house. Why change now?

Perhaps you might note some companies that would make a good fit with Apple.

Google's stock is at an all time high. Apple stock is down 35% since September of last Year and it was as high as 42% down.

Google posted a YoY Profit. Apple posted a YoY Loss.

Tim Cook has done nothing but spew the same thing that great "things" are in the works. Tim Cook's most relevant articles have been his apology letters. Tim Cook has done nothing this year as far as new products go and updates have been minimal at best.

Tim Cook is the second highest paid CEO in the tech industry and has nothing to show for it.

Apologize all you care to for Tim Cook but many CEO's have been fired for much better numbers than he has posted in the last year.

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Correction to article: iWork was originally released in 2005, not 2009. And before someone says this was a reference to the current version, it wasn't.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Apple works at full throttle silently.. Always has always will. Then "bam" they will bitch slap everyone with something amazing... I do not think you know Apple history very well as your comments show this. They are very conservative and always have been and they work in stealth mode.. They are fine!! Patients!!!

Sure ... I am still waiting for the first slap to be dealt, even in stealth mode nothing "amazing" has been achieved - slow updates and some tweaked functionalities of existing software line-up.

In the software arena Apple has been lack luster at best. Sure other companies have been making great Apple software (Devon, OmniGroup, etc.), but Apple ... nah.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I fear that since Steve Jobs passed away, Apple has gone back to what it did when Steve Jobs left the first time (1985-1997). Essentially, the company is mired in a deep sleep. And I say this as a HUGE Apple fan (I ONLY buy Apple). There is no reason that iWork should have to endure this long of an update. With all the BILLIONS of dollars that Apple has on hand, they should be purchasing FAR more patents and startups than they have in recent years. Instead, I'm watching as Facebook, Microsoft, Google, and Samsung all make these major acquisitions --- and with far less cash than Apple. The MacPro hasn't been updated in YEARS ... the iphone hasn't had a major software update basically ever ... the company killed the 17" MBP for high end users... and they can't even get their campus built. I just don't know what this company is waiting for. It seems that with all the money they have on hand ... perhaps their priorities are lacking.

Dare I say it ... Time for a new CEO? IMO, the CEO of Apple should be operating as if this is Apple's last week on earth (even though they might be at or near the top, they shouldn't think like that). There is no sense of urgency with this company anymore. When Jobs was running the show ... it was like watching someone with ADHD throwing out one idea after another. Now we just get better cameras and faster processors.

Let us not forget that Steve Jobs chose Tim Cook.
While I agree on some of your points, I have to highly disagree with the one about Apple not making acquisitions simply because making acquisitions isn't always the best alternative, nor will it solve any of Apple's problems it's facing right now.

----------

I hope we see an update really soon! I love being able to use pages and keynote on my iMac, macbook, iPhone, and ipad. Sure they have their flaws and are in definite need of an update asap, but I love being able to access all my files through iCloud! :D

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Because Microsoft OWNS this arena

It's been over four years since the last major update. Why has apple not updated iWork in such a long time?

There has not been an adoption of Apple's version of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in corporate America. Period.

Oh, yeah, Apple and a few other corps use it but the the real money is in the tens of thousands of corporations across the globe who standardized on MS's products years ago and don't want to have all of their employees waste their time learning something new that they already own and works great.

Apple, this is not your core competency so why bother. Eat MS for lunch on every other front instead.

Let the flames begin. The truth often hurts.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Apologize all you care to for Tim Cook but many CEO's have been fired for much better numbers than he has posted in the last year.

This is a joke post right?

----------

There has not been an adoption of Apple's version of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in corporate America. Period.

Oh, yeah, Apple and a few other corps use it but the the real money is in the tens of thousands of corporations across the globe who standardized on MS's products years ago and don't want to have all of their employees waste their time learning something new that they already own and works great.

Apple, this is not your core competency so why bother. Eat MS for lunch on every other front instead.

Let the flames begin. The truth often hurts.

It was never Apple's intention to replace MS Office in corporate America. So no, that has nothing to do with it.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I hope they overhaul the Table of Contents options - paragraph styles suck! I want to be able to select headings manually and it compile the TOC accordingly

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Yes of course it is dead. Why do you think it had to be changed to an online service? Google Docs ruined Office. Thats why its now Office 365. those subscription numbers are very low. microsoft is losing a lot of money and their main source of revenue will soon be Windows and Xbox. Why should we care about iWork anymore? It won't matter until its an actual part of iCloud the way that Google runs Docs.

You clearly don't understand what you're talking about. By not utilizing document saves via the cloud as an option, Microsoft runs the risk of falling a generation behind its competition and lose a significant edge in regards to collaboration and sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.