Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
This is just a web app. Regardless, I would wait because they might release a new Mac or iOS version.

If they release a new version, wouldn't it be a free update for the people that already have the programs?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Same here. While I don't have much use for this at the moment, I'm kind of annoyed at having gotten an email about something I could test out only to be refused when I do attempt to test it out.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but try clicking on the "Sign in Now" link in the actual email.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not interested in a web app. Are they finally going to update the OSX versions of iWork? That's all I'm interested in. It would be nice to finally drop Office as it's the last remaining MS product I use.

I mean this in the most sincere way but why bother even posting here if you are disinterested in web apps? The thread is about Apple's web apps. I mean, why do people always need to come to a thread and say they are disinterested in the topic at hand and ask about something else that has nothing to do with the discussion? :rolleyes:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ha ha. Roll up roll up come and store your cloud data with Uncle Sam so we can snoop on all your secrets. I don't think so. At least the NSA can't hack into my portable flash drive while it's sitting in my pocket.

Think again. Did you build your flash drive? How do you know the drive does not contain a radio transmitter. I'm not saying it does just how would you know.

If you are willing to trust to people in China who made your flash drive then why can't you trust Apple when they say the data in their cloud are encrypted?

In theory you could look at the insides of both the flash drive and the Apple software but few people have the required skills, so they have to trust whoever made it.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I got an invite to iWorks, apples version of google docs. I do have a dev account, but it's what I would call a "soft" dev account. I am registered but it is not a paid account for either OSX or iOS. So their invites must have been extended to some degree, but directly non-devs I guess is still not the case. (except anyone can create a dev account for free)

anyway, looks nice and very apple like... I can see the use for sure, but not convinced it will replace google docs.. maybe in time purely due to convenience for people on iphones that already has a lot of things sync with icloud.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Interesting that Apple is doing this after they seemed to abandon the idea of web apps for "regular" apps. It also seems a bit unfocused when they haven't updated the Mac version of iWork in so long. Documents in iCloud still seems very impractical to me. iCloud is their vision for the next 10 years the way that the Mac being a digital hub was their vision, but it still is a bit nebulous (if you'll pardon the pun)! It seems that rather than being the vision of the next 10 years, they're going to spend 10 years finding out what it's supposed to be. This also seems to go against Apple's video that talked about saying "no" to things.

I'd rather see Apple bring back some things we lost with MobileMe, most importantly: the syncing of system preferences on the Mac.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
i am a non developer and i received an invite to use the program and all three programs, pages, numbers and keynote all work for me!

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
In Europe, any cloud will be a flop. You know: We are very afraid of your NSA organization.

A flop, really?

Apple already offers iCould, a service that uses far more personal information than iWork, in Europe. If your statement is true, then there should be a mass exodus from iCloud. Please post evidence that supports your claim.

Or, were you just making things up from the get go?

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
It would be really cool if they increase the iCloud capacity they have given per user.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
i got an invite in my email and i'm not a developer, and was able to log into the beta.icloud.com site .... weird...

You may have not realized but you probably signed up for a developer account. Doesn't need to be a paid account. I signed up many years ago and actually paid but my account has been dormant for years, I never access it. Still I got the email today and was able to log in perfectly.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Meh. Until they update iWork for more Office support (Especially Excel/Numbers) as far as I see it:

Office > Google Docs > iWork > OpenOffice > That Libre thingy

mollyparrot

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
It works on Windows. Sorry about having to use gDocs.

I'm very happy about this. I'm a teacher and I much prefer Keynote to PowerPoint, but we have to use Windows at work.

I just got the invite today and played around with it a little. It mostly seems like a port of the iOS version.

I really only ever buy iWork for Keynote though. Numbers isn't even in the same solar system as Excel when it comes to power and usability; just feels like a toy.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
If they release a new version, wouldn't it be a free update for the people that already have the programs?

They haven't done that in the past.

----------

I'm very happy about this. I'm a teacher and I much prefer Keynote to PowerPoint, but we have to use Windows at work.

I just got the invite today and played around with it a little. It mostly seems like a port of the iOS version.

I really only ever buy iWork for Keynote though. Numbers isn't even in the same solar system as Excel when it comes to power and usability; just feels like a toy.

Exactly. I would be using iWork 100% if it weren't for Numbers being so bad that I have to go use Excel whenever I want to get a real spreadsheet going.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
iWork has badly fallen behind its competitors (Office/gDocs) in terms of features, but it could still serve as a good foundation if Apple were to really invest in it.

- The Mac apps haven't had a significant update since 2009. It was even behind in some areas back then.

- The iOS apps don't contain all of the functionality of the Mac apps. They don't even support all the same features, which means documents are often incompatible.

- Now there is a third target (web apps) to support.

I can't believe Pages still doesn't have a built-in equation editor and has absolutely no support for references. Aren't university students one of Apple's biggest markets?

If Apple added those two things, and brought all the platforms up to that level of feature support, iWork would be a thousand times better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.