Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's great. Now just need a carrier unlocked or not page (or maybe use the same page?)

----------

How does this prevent the seller from reporting the phone as stolen after sale and the carrier blocking the IMEI though? IF you can't prevent that, iphone sales are pointless...

You could draw up a legal contract or a receipt that both parties sign.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
That's great. Now just need a carrier unlocked or not page (or maybe use the same page?)

----------

You could draw up a legal contract or a receipt that both parties sign.

True. IF the seller is the actual original owner. If it's a stolen phone then... SOL :[

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
How does this prevent the seller from reporting the phone as stolen after sale and the carrier blocking the IMEI though? IF you can't prevent that, iphone sales are pointless...

How would that benefit the seller?

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
The most use this will get will be like seeing your phone on virtual life support with your final bit of security knowing that while you're phone is not in your possession, you can still check in on it ...and then one day the lock turns off, and you know it's gone forever.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I'm surprised Apple hasn't made a unified page to show all the information you would want on an iPhone.

Activation Lock
Carrier Lock
ESN status
Capacity
Warranty

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Somewhat unrelated and is basically soemething on the carrier side of things.

tigster

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
One major issue

This is a very handy tool but poorly implemented.
Try checking using an iPad - can't be done as the ipad browser isn't supported. So if you're selling your shiny phone and your buyer doesn't have his PC or Mac on him then the tool can't be accessed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So this is what it would be like to be poor
What? :confused:

----------

Try checking using an iPad - can't be done as the ipad browser isn't supported. So if you're selling your shiny phone and your buyer doesn't have his PC or Mac on him then the tool can't be accessed.
Already covered earlier. Can use desktop version in Safari or Chrome or another browser like Mercury to change user agent as a workaround.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Ummm...
Calm down.
You're being extreme. Since this obviously is in NO way only true about iPhones; try re-reading your last phrase as manufacturer neutral: "if you can't prevent that, all phone sales are pointless..."
That come off as even a bit alarmist to you??

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Owning a phone is so complicated nowadays.

Sort of, yet people need to become slightly as smart as the phones they buy, technology is moving forward and these measures are out there to protect good people from thieves and scammers.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yeah, seriously. The people that are conned into buying a locked device won't be helped by this change.

There are many honest, but not very technically competent sellers who sell their device with activation lock turned on by accident. If you wait until you receive their phone, it's a major hazzle. If you check before they send the phone to you, it's much easier.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Very well done Apple!

Long wished for something like this as I'm sure hundreds (maybe thousands) of people get caught out by this and can end up losing a lot of money.

Bravo!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If you are selling your iPhone, deactivate activation lock, and it doesn't matter whether the seller can use this tool or not. If you buy face to face, you don't need this tool - you just try to activate the phone and if you can't activate it, you don't pay. And if you are buying a phone online, surely you must know _someone_ with a computer?

----------

In that case the seller has committed a serious crime. In the UK, it would be called "perverting the course of justice", and since the police absolutely hates when you interfere with their job, and they hate it more than committing crimes, they will come down very, very hard on you. Expect to go to jail for that kind of joke. And it's not as if there wasn't plenty of evidence of what you did; it's hard to imagine any crime where the perpetrator is easier to catch.

----------

This makes no sense to me. What true value does this tool provide? Couldn't a phone get locked in between the time I check the status of it and the time I receive the phone from the seller?

Why would anyone do that?

This tool helps with two cases: Buying a stolen phone, where the thief _cannot_ unlock the phone. And if the thief could unlock the phone, they would have no reason whatsoever to lock it again. The other case: Stupid seller who doesn't realise that activation lock is turned on. You check, you call them to tell them it's turned on, and they turn it off. They would have no reason whatsoever to turn the lock on again.

----------

Right. I'm sure glad Apple is making things simpler.

Why can't someone send you the IMEI of some unlocked phone and still send you a locked one? This might help individual to individual, but unless it's in person I don't see where this actually helps.

They can send you the IMEI of some unlocked phone, and then post a brick to you.

----------

What would happen if a person forgot the password to the device?

If you forget the password to your phone and can't unlock it, you're stuffed. You can only sell it for spare parts. If you are tempted to sell it at full price, this tool will warn the buyers.

----------

Isn't this tool easy to abuse though? Someone could potentially give out a legit number, while selling a device with another...

Apart from some other comments, this would change what's happening from being an honest mistake (some people sell their own perfectly legitimate iPhone with activation lock because they don't know better) to fraud. You are now committing a serious crime.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
How would that benefit the seller?

Since the IMEI number is on the box, it is a known con to buy a phone with an insurance policy on it, not even open the box, and sell it on, then report it stolen and get it replaced or get a cash payment. That's what's in it for the seller. Buy it, sell it for a possible profit + the insured value of the phone

So even if this tool makes it easier to do legitimate sales of used iPhones, it doesn't prevent the "report unopened phone stolen after selling" con.

However, as already pointed out, this is true of all smartphones, so it isn't just an iPhone problem.

My advice - buy new from authorised retailers.

----------

There are many honest, but not very technically competent sellers who sell their device with activation lock turned on by accident. If you wait until you receive their phone, it's a major hazzle. If you check before they send the phone to you, it's much easier.

Exactly, it is usually not a con, but an honest mistake. I did this when selling in my first gen iPad mini. I had to go into iCloud and deactive find my phone and remove the device from my list of devices, after the buyer called me a couple of hours after he left my house. Wasn't a big deal, really, but I hadn't even thought of this, because these features were new at the time I sold it.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US

I think it's fine as it's a "tool" for whomever wants to check the device. If that person receiving the device doesn't use what's out there then that's on them, not Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.