Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Metropolitan Museum of Art today opened its "Manus x Machina" Costume Institute Exhibition, which is being sponsored by Apple. The show focuses on the dichotomy between handmade haute couture and machine-made fashion, featuring pieces that juxtapose traditional hand techniques like embroidery, pleating, and lacework with technologies like laser cutting and thermo shaping.

Apple Design Chief Jony Ive, who is serving as co-chair alongside pop star Taylor Swift and actor Idris Elba, was on hand at the opening and gave an introductory speech, a portion of which was captured on social networking site Periscope.

jonyivemetgala.jpg
Image via Jim Shi
We are thrilled at Apple to help bring to life Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology. When Anna and Andrew first talked to me about the exhibition, I was particularly intrigued that it would stimulate a conversation exploring the relationship between what is made by man and what is made by machine. That it would challenge the preconception held by some that the former is somehow inherently more valuable. Not only in the context of today, but also the future.

The Chanel dress that Tom mentioned, which was Andrew's inspiration for the exhibition is a wonderful example of artisan like craft executed with the deepest consideration yet enabled with the very latest technology. The most breakthroughs in craft were once, of course, perceived as truly innovative. Often shockingly so. Once even the simple metal needle challenged the conventional thinking of the time. Now I'm humbled by the innovations of the past in the same way that I am humbled by the work that we can see here today.

It's easy to think a craft can't change, but important to remember all craft process was at some point new. At some point, challenged convention. Not to be contrarian, but enabled by some breakthrough. Some newly discovered principle or sometimes some wonderful accident.
The opening of the Costume Institute Exhibition comes ahead of the 2016 Met Gala, a fund raising event that draws hundreds of celebrities. The Met Gala will take place tonight, and along with Jony Ive, Apple CEO Tim Cook is expected to attend, sitting alongside fashion icon and honorary Met Gala chair Anna Wintour.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Attends 'Manus x Machina' Met Exhibition Opening

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe with him constantly being out of office the MBP team will do something other than slim it down.

Maybe with him constantly being out of office that's the REASON why the MBP won't do anything but slim it down.
Apple doesn't seem to redesign the cases of their products anymore. They keep making tiny modifications without doing something drastic to make it seem new. I have a feeling that the reason behind this is that Jony Ive has been busy designing retail locations, the new campus interiors and whatever special project it is that is code named "Titan." He left the scraps for all the other dogs with likely less courage to change an Ive design.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Jony Ive said:
I was particularly intrigued that it would stimulate a conversation exploring the relationship between what is made by man and what is made by machine. That it would challenge the preconception held by some that the former is somehow inherently more valuable.

Ugn. This narrative again. He's desperate to have his legacy perceived on par with devoices built by hand -- something that's only really become a talking point since he designed the Watch. They say they aren't competing with the mechanical watch makers, but this effort suggests otherwise, at least in Ives' mind.

Reactions: opeter and Col4bin

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Fashion and Broom/Broom, but choices for Apple. I hope he has better keynote skills by now, Apple should train him for public speeches. If that fails, then more gadget colors for you!

Reactions: opeter and Col4bin

noveneerhere

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Agreed. Design is great, but it should be secondary to function. They could make the iPhone into an earring if they cut out all the functions except phone calls. No one wants that (yet) though.

You have a antiquated idea about design. Ive sees expression+function=design

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
And this is where Apple has gone off the rails. Johnny I've is busy eating up the spotlight at ridiculous fashion shows and galas, when Jobs' used to be able to keep Johnny's ego in check. Whatever happened to Apple's beautifully utilitarian designed products that innovated and just worked? You can only rehash the same 'ol same 'ol for so long. Instead, iPhone 7 will be a spec-bumped rehash of the 6/6 Plus. No new MacBook Pro to speak of. iPad and iPhone sales are slumping (iPhone alone is down 26% in China, a key market.) Apple Watch only a glorified notification system. Internal development teams fueding. Carl Icahn dumping his stake in the company. Apple's worst Wall Street performance in over 18 years. As a whole Apple is down 11% year-to-date, sliding 27% over the past year alone. The brand is still profitable, but not at the rates that we've grown accustomed too. Perhaps their momentum was unsustainable, but it seems Apple is busy resting on its laurels and past successes, being reactionary to market trends only when it is most profitable to them. (OLED iPhone screens, etc.) This approach can only last for so long. Didn't we learn anything from watching a once market-leading Blackberry self destruct from ineptitude?

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
And this is where Apple has gone off the rails

I don't see it that way yet. I think this event would have made Jobs very happy, that technology (especially his) had a place beside fashion and art.

As for Ive and Apple's designs of late, I'm not that critical. Apple has never been a company to change form factor just for its own sake. The current Macbook design (barring the paucity of ports) is as elegant and functional as a laptop can be. For most people, it does exactly what it needs to do and it also looks nice (even iconic). A revolution in design will happen both when it's needed and when a new technological breakthrough allows for it.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Why Apple wants to re-focus into a fashion brand is beyond me. This is presumably why we have these god awful product colours to appeal to the New York fashionistas and Vogue magazine.
[doublepost=1462238477][/doublepost]
I don't see it that way yet. I think this event would have made Jobs very happy, that technology (especially his) had a place beside fashion and art.

As for Ive and Apple's designs of late, I'm not that critical. Apple has never been a company to change form factor just for its own sake. The current Macbook design (barring the paucity of ports) is as elegant and functional as a laptop can be. For most people, it does exactly what it needs to do and it also looks nice (even iconic). A revolution in design will happen both when it's needed and when a new technological breakthrough allows for it.

Steve wore the same clothes every single day. He wasn't remotely interested in fashion.
[doublepost=1462238946][/doublepost]What Apple has in common with the fashion industry: they both use Chinese sweatshops to make their products, have ridiculous mark-ups and talk a load of pretentious bollocks. Hopefully one day Apple will return to being a tech company.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Jony should just leave Apple a this point and go into fashion.

Steve wore the same generic and humble outfit for public events back when Apple was a tech company.

Reactions: Col4bin

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Ive really is all pi** and wind now. He's done some great work iterating Apple products to their minimalist and rather beautiful current forms but who gives a hoot - the software they run is buggy, slow and deteriorating with every evolution. He can flatten the interfaces as much as he likes but I want things to work, not win design awards from the irrelevant chattering, moneyed classes. Stop blowing smoke and start earning your salary.

Reactions: 69650 and Col4bin

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Whatever happened to Apple's beautifully utilitarian designed products that innovated and just worked?

Still holds true for all my Apple Gear - Late 2011 MacBook, Apple Watch Sport, 9.7" iPad Pro and iPhone 6.

Do I have some problems from time to time - sure. Just Like I always have. Apple stuff has never "just worked". Nobody's stuff has ever "just worked". I've been using Apple Gear for over 20 years and it has always had problems. Don't get sucked into the marketing.

Instead, iPhone 7 will be a spec-bumped rehash of the 6/6 Plus.

Why do you think that?

The 6S had Force Touch, the 6 had a new form factor, The 5S had Touch ID etc., etc.

But you have certainty that the 7 will only be spec bumped? How do you come to this conclusion?

No new MacBook Pro to speak of.

They will come. Why the rush? Would you rather they rushed them out in a buggy state?

Apple Watch only a glorified notification system.

Start working out, get back to me. I love my Watch - payments, tracking workouts, directions (taps are so intuitive for direction when walking and cycling rather than looking at my phone screen). And yes it even makes notifications better, I can completely silence my iPhone. Finally it's great as a watch, the biggest downside is my nicer analogue watches never get used now (and I've actually been debating selling them).

Internal development teams fueding.

Good, I've never worked anywhere without arguments. Passion is important. I have no idea what the "feuding" is specifically about, but I'd be more worried if they were all just getting along. Steve Jobs himself was highly abrasive.

As a whole Apple is down 11% year-to-date, sliding 27% over the past year alone. The brand is still profitable, but not at the rates that we've grown accustomed too. Perhaps their momentum was unsustainable, but it seems Apple is busy resting on its laurels and past successes, being reactionary to market trends only when it is most profitable to them.

Resting on their laurels? Not from my seat, in the last year or so:

- A new line of iPads in 2 sizes with the addition of highly regarded stylus. This product has made the biggest change to my working life in the last 5 years (completely ditched paper - all notes now taken digitally).
- New True Tone display - massive difference when using iPad outdoors (hope this tech filters to other iOS devices).
- The A9 and A9X: designed in house, well regarded performance.
- iPhone with 3D Touch - something else which has made working life quicker (can get through dozens of emails in a much smaller amount of time).
- Research Kit: fingers crossed this leads to some good.
- A completely new MacBook line (Retina 2015), introduces several firsts for Apple - USB-C, new Butterfly mechanism keyboard, fanless, custom shaped battery, individual LED backlit keys (as opposed to an array previously), Force Touch trackpad.
- The 2105 MacBook (Retina) has also just received an internal upgrade with some decent performance boosts.
- Expanded Transit directions in Maps to new cities.
- A new Apple TV with a much requested App Store.
- Roll-out of Apple Pay to new countries.
- Released 2 operating system updates (OS X 10.11, iOS 9) and 2 new Operating systems (watchOS and tvOS).

Like you say the growth was never going to continue forever. I'd sit and watch. If the overall decline continues for a number of years then maybe worry. As a shareholder I'm not worried one bit. The Icahn sale has allowed me to buy more at IMO a good price. The points he Icahn about China are valid - and something to keep an eye on.

Besides, Apple has always been slow. Rarely are they first to market. And even when they do, they release products which to most people are "lacking". It has worked well for a long time:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/apple_rolls.html

(OLED iPhone screens, etc.) This approach can only last for so long. Didn't we learn anything from watching a once market-leading Blackberry self destruct from ineptitude?

OLED will come. You can just go to a supplier and ask for 200 million+ of something a year. That's one of the sad parts of success. Some things take longer to procure. Just like Touch ID sensors, very limited at the start and were a bottle neck. Also maybe there were waiting for the technology to mature OLED is fairly new (and has been improving a lot over the last few years). Ive himself has spoken of the benefits of the OLED technology on phones. From the rumours it appears they are lining up something for 2017.

On the other side I don't really see a huge difference between the OLED on my Watch and the LED on the iPhone. Both are good. Tap to wake would be nice. But I'm not going to worry if they stick to LED.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Ive really is all pi** and wind now. He's done some great work iterating Apple products to their minimalist and rather beautiful current forms but who gives a hoot - the software they run is buggy, slow and deteriorating with every evolution. He can flatten the interfaces as much as he likes but I want things to work, not win design awards from the irrelevant chattering, moneyed classes. Stop blowing smoke and start earning your salary.
You've expressed it very well.

While Apple wasted a few years... attempting to hold us hostage to a smartphone with a tiny screen, Google, Samsung, LG and the like innovated and perfected their craft.

The Nexus 6P, Galaxy S7 and LG V10 are stellar examples of contemporary smartphones. Each one is fast, fun and highly useful.

By the time Apple caved and released the 6 series it was nothing of consequence. Save for Apple's world class advertising making it a larger than life sales hit.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.