Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
The fact that Apple needs to make an app like this with us being on version 9 of iOS is not a good sign. I feel like the quality of Apple's software has taken a nosedive ever since iOS 7 was released.

Agreed. I just wish Apple would step up their software quality so we don't see such obvious bugs and performance issues on iOS and OS X.

On a similar note, if Apple is developing a support app for iOS, wouldn't it make sense to make one for OS X as well?

Reactions: NMBob

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Bug reporter would be nice, and a feature request too. :) As a product manager myself, I would love to share little quirky things that are annoying or odd. One great example in the current iOS is getting back to your Siri results after you clicked on one. It's far from intuitive and hard to do sometimes. You'd think you could just swipe back to your last screen.

Anyway... seems like this would be a good thing and help Apple give better direction to their customers before they come in.
Yes! A feature request, too. Good thinking!

kungpaaao

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Those system apps have dependencies that would break other software if they were removable. It's a terrible idea to allow core apps to be deleted. I agree the ones without dependencies should be removable (Podcasts), but most are essentially data hubs for third party apps. I think the best solution is an option to hide apps from view.

Yes, that would be nice. Sort of the same thing, assuming they don't take up too much space.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The fact that Apple needs to make an app like this with us being on version 9 of iOS is not a good sign. I feel like the quality of Apple's software has taken a nosedive ever since iOS 7 was released.

They are streamlining support on iOS and you still find a reason to complain. Cut to 1,000 years in the future and MacRumors uses will be their own species.

Reactions: tranceking26

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
and why wouldn't it ? if people have no idea if the app exists, then wouldn't they know it better IF its pre-installed in future iOS updates..

Givin the fact Apple limits online chat to certain areas anyway "as is" on website, i wonder how useful this app would actually be in such a situation. or weather you'll just get "Sorry. chat is not available."

So, you end up with a 'clash of the clans'. On one side, u have those who don't want as as default, while on the other side u have the rest who will never know the existence if its not a default..

Try and work this puzzle out..

Where is chat limited? All major countries are supported.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
these sort of 'tell me your problem' coupled to their 10 canned answers type things never solve the problem they are just like that annoying phone tree that gives your 3 options none of which is what you really need which is for someone to actually see what is wrong and to be able to guide you through the solution. in this sense the only value i see from this is the ability to schedule the genius and chat with support which is indeed a good thing to be able to do. instead of it being an app they should just put this under the settings menu as a button called 'support' though that brings these 2 or 3 options up: schedule genius, chat, call and drop the 'clever' decision tree topics.

In this way it appears more like an OS feature improvement and less like a piece of mostly useless add-on. If you make it an app it should be delete-able but then that sort of defeats the purpose when you need it.

Reactions: nt5672 and NMBob

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
A step in the right direction. I have always found it a bit odd that when I go to the Apple Support site, I get directed to a community forum full of amateurs suggesting all sorts of experiments to try to solve a problem. Better to have the advice from somebody who is trained.

Reactions: NMBob

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Having a centralized spot to access support documents and repair options will be hugely useful for many users who may not know the extent of Apple's online support offerings. The app will also further streamline the repair and support process, taking some of the pressure off of in-store Genius employees who work on repairs and potentially cutting down on the number of people coming in to the store for small issues.

It is not clear if the app is a standalone support app that will be added to iOS devices in the future or if this is functionality that will be incorporated into the existing Apple Store app. At this time, the Apple Store app has limited functionality when it comes to support, only allowing users to schedule appointments with Geniuses at their local Apple Stores.

Article Link: Apple Developing Support iOS App to Streamline Repair and Troubleshooting Process

I'm regularly surprised by MacRumors' takeaway conclusions. Why would the Apple Store app be the logical location for this feature/service? It's a very large world, with fewer than 500 Apple Stores. Most nations don't have one, and even where they exist, they can be hundreds of miles away. So consider those for whom the Apple Store is a distant dream... Would they think to go to the Apple Store app for tech support? An Apple Store-centric view of the world is quite myopic.

For that matter, anyone who's waited on hold for telephone support would certainly appreciate a service that takes some pressure off AppleCare's support staff, and for the many countries that lack even telephone support....

Support is an overarching need. If it was up to me, there would be multiple ways to access this app. It would be freestanding, it would be present at the top level of Settings (the primary problem resolution destination) and within the various settings; it'd be present in the Watch app, Find My iPhone, and yes, it would certainly be in the Apple Store app (just not solely there).

The one thing it should not be is a well-kept secret, an option to be downloaded only by those in the know. What good is that, if your problem is that you can't connect to the Internet? Think for a moment beyond your desire to have every available megabyte of storage free for your selfies, games, and songs. An app like this is a form of insurance - and insurance, as we know, is a useless waste of money up until the moment that you need to make a claim.

I doubt my vision will prevail. Apple has always been reluctant to suggest that tech support may be necessary, so I doubt it'd be omnipresent (although there is that Support button on the Apple.com navigation bar). And if one makes person-to-person support too easy to access... those who ought to be able to self-solve their small problem (and small problems are far more numerous, after all) will undoubtedly crowd out those in need of more substantial assistance. Somewhere, however, there's a happy medium. Just the fact that this is in development is a very good thing, imho.

Reactions: abunawas and Yumbo

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
At least it sounds like this would be handy for some, me included. Reporting bugs there would also be very useful.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
A step in the right direction. I have always found it a bit odd that when I go to the Apple Support site, I get directed to a community forum full of amateurs suggesting all sorts of experiments to try to solve a problem. Better to have the advice from somebody who is trained.

The Microsoft forums had MVPs that were sorta vetted "amateurs" to help with stuff. Apple Discussions could use something like that...or just have real, full-time employees monitor and respond on the forums...kinda like the people you would chat with in this app. I suppose having them work the discussion forums wouldn't be cool enough.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
As someone who has participated in the recent betas testing for iOS, I believe this app has the potential to expedite bug resolutions and identify UX improvements for the larger user base. A similar app (in spirit), called Feedback, is used by beta testers to report flaws and misbehavior. It’s much more accessible/convenient than locating the feedback or support resources on the web.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Replacing people it is.
Or not. So this would be free for people without Apple Care that have a problem? I use 'just ask' all the time. I don't see how an app could replace the interaction I have with Apple, but I have Apple care.

Last edited:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I dont know I am kind of a fan of searching for someone to help me then getting bumped around a few times before finally getting on the list. The real fun comes next when they have to find you in the store for your appointment haha.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I dont know I am kind of a fan of searching for someone to help me then getting bumped around a few times before finally getting on the list. The real fun comes next when they have to find you in the store for your appointment haha.
Yeah, and you are shoulder to shoulder in the Apple Store and look across the way at the Microsoft store with 4 employees standing in a huddle and no one else in the store.

Reactions: Romy90210

Jwhite1

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
Akron, Ohio
Good idea, but the people who would actually need this are probably people who will have no idea this app exists (unless it's preinstalled -- and let's hope it's not).
Maybe Apple will display a message/picture after update is installed and device is restarted like they do when other new features are added via update (kind of like Touch ID or Siri when they were new to their respective new devices) to let new users know they exist and what they do as soon as they turn on & setup their new device. Sure, people could not pay attention to it but it'd be hard to miss IMO. Then again, that's still assuming it's pre-installed so...

Last edited:

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Battery diagnostics straight on the phone without coconutbattery / calling Applecare is a win.

fuccboi

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015

Makes you wonder if it's because Scott Forstall left the team.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So basically, an app version of https://supportprofile.apple.com

Yep, which isn't a bad idea at all. I've used Support Profile on several ocassions so I look forward to having this app on my iOS devices.

I bet over 90% of active iOS users don't even know that the Support Profile even exists so this app now makes it instantly evident to hundreds of millions of those users.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Huh? The app is a good idea according to you. But you say that it will be most useful to people who won't know it exist unless it's preinstalled, but you don't want that to happen. This makes NO sense.

I have plenty of apps I rarely use and some apple apps I don't use. Here's how I handle it. I move all of those apps to the last page of my apps screens. Pretty much out of the way and yet there if I should need them in the future. Very clever of me, don't you think. Wouldn't that be a better way to handle this than to exclude an app that you agree would be useful only because you don't want to see an icon that might ever be useful to you someday?

Why. What is so terrible about having them there. Are they really that offensive to you? See above for my suggestion.

So thoroughly well said. I agree.

This is great! I've thought for a long time that it would be cool if they did this. I would also love it see a bug reporter app...maybe built into this? I love the colors of the app, too.

Beta users do have the Feedback app. Also I agree with the colors. They're quite calming which hopefully is helpful if your using support to troubleshoot problems :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.