Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Ya I'll second that. If they do have isights built in then at least release a seperate standalone isight. Being built into monitors is great for video conferencing, but that's about it. Even then when I had a 15" MBP the angle of isight was too high so my head was cut off.

Yep...I agree.
The new monitors should not have built in iSight.
In fact I am still scratching my head as to why they discontinued the original iSight.
It was a good concept that was very adaptable to many situations. Unlike the camera built into my MBP 17 which is anything but flexible.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Because the cost associated with using a higher-quality S-IPS panel (and all the color certifications) for color work raises the cost. It's not intended to do what you want, which means you should look elsewhere.

I don't see what's so confusing about this. :confused:

I just said the problem isn't the cost. I could pay the money, but the deal breaker is the lack of inputs. Are you saying that it would be impossible to make a monitor which uses an S-IPS panel and has multiple inputs?

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I just said the problem isn't the cost. I could pay the money, but the deal breaker is the lack of inputs. Are you saying that it would be impossible to make a monitor which uses an S-IPS panel and has multiple inputs?

Again, not to break in the same point again and again, why not use adapters? :rolleyes:

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Adapters? You mean a KVM switch? If you get one which isn't lossy, you'll pay big money for it. PLus you have an additional thing one your desk.

But it's not such a big deal because you get more control with the switchbox. Internal projecting dangling wirey thingeys aren't my style. I like less clutter on the display itself.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Viewing angles

EDIT: sorry, that site appears to have some prevention against linking directly to images... I'll link to their pages instead...

To illustrate my point about viewing angles on S-IPS monitors (like the ones in Apple displays) being greater than other types of LCD displays:

here are images taken from different angles of a typical TN panels:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/...ested-with-reaction-times-from-2-to-5-ms.html

and on this page you can see some PVA (like the Dell 2407) and S-IPS (Dell 3007) examples:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/658-5/lcd-tests-the-acer-and-dell-26-and-27.html

There you can clearly see the benefit of S-IPS.

(and yes, I know that when you're sitting directly in front of your monitor, you're not viewing it from that great of an angle... but sometimes even moving your head slightly can cause a shift in color, and that's bad for graphic pros)

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
It is never a good idea to use the 300 Spartans as an example to make your point. The Spartans were slaughtered. To the last man.

True but I was alluding more to the fact that Apple has taken more risks and they may not have the market share, they are remembered in history more than the opposition. That's what counts.

For example, everyone remembers the Apple Lisa but no one remembers the HP Paviliion series.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Despite using older panels, the 23 and 30 inch displays are pretty good deals. The 20 inch, however, is still almost twice as expensive as nearly any other out there.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
What are you getting at.
You want it for $100 or something?
Why not go bitch at Mercedes and Lexus and BMW and...and ...and...

Quality comes at a price.

I'm upset because they tricked me into buying an ADC monitor and now I can't use it with new macs even though the picture is fine. I want a matching monitor but a guy can only spend so much on technology when he makes as little as I do.

-Clive

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Sorry, but in the area of print production, where color match is important, your statement is foolish. In this case you live up to your MacRumors "Newbie" title.
::Articulate Biznitch-slap snipped for brevity's sake::

One of the most articulate biznitch-slaps I've ever read. Thanks.

MonkeyClaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Asheville, NC
I'm upset because they tricked me into buying an ADC monitor and now I can't use it with new macs even though the picture is fine. I want a matching monitor but a guy can only spend so much on technology when he makes as little as I do.

-Clive

Why wouldn't you be able to use it with new Macs? I have an old 17" Clear ADC I snatched from ebay and it works great with my Powerbook which is only 2 years old. Apple sells an adaptor to convert the ADC all in one connector to DVI and USB with a Power cord. Works wonders and you can find one on ebay on the cheap. Here at my University our Multimedia Arts department, we all use 17" on relatively new G5 PowerMacs and they all use the converters. There should be no reason why you can't use an older ADC with a new Mac, just get the converter.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I'll probably get pounded for saying this by someone who knows more than me, but isn't the price drop simply a matter of clearing inventory so they can roll out the new line with built-in iSight cameras?

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
...And yet, they're still more expensive than the competition.

And they're also very long in the tooth (introduced 3 years ago) and lack features now standard in other monitors. Plus, why no models with iSights now that you can no longer buy an iSight? I hope this price drop is a prelude to new monitors at WWDC.

I

itsme92

Just out of curiosity, what can 2 inputs provide? And do you mean like 2 of the same kind of inputs or different kinds of inputs (DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc.)? If you want to connect 2 computers to the same monitor, you can always get a KVM switch. I know, that's 1 more thing on your desk, but it lets you connect multiple computers to the same keyboard, mouse and display. Don't know how many people would need that, but it's available.

I don't need multiple inputs because I want to hook up multiple computers. I want multiple inputs because when I get around to buying a screen for my Macbook, I want to be able to plug in my PS2, any future gaming systems, and just anything that would let me use the screen as a second TV. Apple displays don't let me do that.

And they cost far more than the compition (just to add insult to the injury)

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I don't need multiple inputs because I want to hook up multiple computers. I want multiple inputs because when I get around to buying a screen for my Macbook, I want to be able to plug in my PS2, any future gaming systems, and just anything that would let me use the screen as a second TV. Apple displays don't let me do that.

And they cost far more than the compition (just to add insult to the injury)

Why would anyone want to hook up a PS2 to a ACD? That's why there is a LCD TV for that purpose! :eek:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'll probably get pounded for saying this by someone who knows more than me, but isn't the price drop simply a matter of clearing inventory so they can roll out the new line with built-in iSight cameras?

I agree with this line of thinking (clearing the inventory, not necessarily the built-in iSight cameras).

Retired
May 16, 2006
I agree with this line of thinking (clearing the inventory, not necessarily the built-in iSight cameras).

Touch?
Slimmer? (very probable IMO)
New sizes? (e.g. 24" and 50")

A lot of people have two displays next to each other. The thick edges on the displays make this not very seamless...having a small 'edge' would be very nice...

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
Still no UK price drop.......

really getting fed up with Apples UK policy lately. The display prices are absurd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.