Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
cmvsm said:
Again, value is in the perception of the buyer. As I stated before, specs given by the manufacturer are not always definitive. That's like saying that every television you buy that displays resolutions for HDTV is equivalent. We all know this is untrue. Besides, Capt. Underpants doesn't even own the monitor in which he argues for. Give me a break.

I think you're just mad because you bought an inferior monitor for $799 when you could've bought a better monitor for much less.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
While the Dell monitor is better, I would never buy it. I'd buy from some other third party like Samsung. I don't want to join the Dell herd, and my wife won't let anything with the word, 'DELL' in our residence... even advertisements. It's too bad they don't sell these monitors without the logo :rolleyes:

Also, I work in computer labs full of Dell LCD's. They're nice, but the paint on the buttons is already chipping off. They aren't even 1 year old yet. Sure, the picture is still nice, but the rest of the display looks like trash already. it's kindof a shame too... nice monitor surrounded by cheap plastic and VERY cheap paint.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
I think you're just mad because you bought an inferior monitor for $799 when you could've bought a better monitor for much less.

LOL...right. I think you are just argumentative and "trying" to be annoying simply because you look at a 15" screen all day. Nice try... :D When you decide to hook that baby up to a real monitor, then we'll talk. Otherwise, keep dreaming about it...Dell...Apple...whatever... :)

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
cmvsm said:
LOL...right. I think you are just argumentative and "trying" to be annoying simply because you look at a 15" screen all day. Nice try... :D When you decide to hook that baby up to a real monitor, then we'll talk. Otherwise, keep dreaming about it...Dell...Apple...whatever... :)

Jxyama and I have tried to get the facts straight, but you still argue against them. If you want to think your old apple monitor with 230 cd/m2 brightness, and a 350:1 contrast ratio is better than a dell monitor with 300 cd/m2 brightness and 600:1 contrast ratio, that's your deal (and an incorrect deal at that).

And I look at a 12" screen when I'm on my computer, not a 15" screen (duh, it's a 12" PB). I was being argumentative because you were acting stubborn. To be honest, I'm tired of arguing with you. It gets this discussion nowhere, especially when your facts aren't straight. Once you get it right, then we'll talk.

DELL MONITOR > APPLE MONITOR [/thread]

Peace

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
Jxyama and I have tried to get the facts straight, but you still argue against them. If you want to think your old apple monitor with 230 cd/m2 brightness, and a 350:1 contrast ratio is better than a dell monitor with 300 cd/m2 brightness and 600:1 contrast ratio, that's your deal (and an incorrect deal at that).

And I look at a 12" screen when I'm on my computer, not a 15" screen (duh, it's a 12" PB). I was being argumentative because you were acting stubborn. To be honest, I'm tired of arguing with you. It gets this discussion nowhere, especially when your facts aren't straight. Once you get it right, then we'll talk.

DELL MONITOR > APPLE MONITOR [/thread]

Peace

How bout....when you OWN one or the other...then maybe you can carry on a knowledgeable conversation. I really don't care which one you buy, just as long as you've actually used it. Can you imagine someone reviewing a piece of hardware but never having actually used it to base their review? Right...that would get a lot of play. Oh yeah, I almost forgot..that's what you are doing.... :eek:

Peace... :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Both displays are made by LG.

Apple has the following going for it:

Design, construction and neat touch sensitive button on the side.

Dell has the following going for it:

Price, and a little higher specs.

In closing we have to remember just because something has better specs that its good for everyone. Some people have sensitive eyes and the brighter screen are horrid on they eyes. Some however welcome the higher brightness and contrast. I my self have worked on many display sizes from 10" to 30"+ and I do not like an lcd too bright since the setting is always on the lowest for my eye comfort.

If one prefer one display over the other great just be happy with your purchase and that it has no dead pixels.

No need to argue since some people look at price point some people look towards they decor. We are all different. If I could but the Dell display and remove the casing and replaces it with something else I would however I cannot, plus I do not want a large display at present. :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I'd love to argue the case for why you'd have to be either mad, or plain stinking rich to buy the Apple over the Dell...but from what I see it's not worth my breath. I don't give a **** if someone else decides to spend over the odds for a screen, when you can get a screen that is equal to it, if not better for much less...hey ho.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
edesignuk said:
I'd love to argue the case for why you'd have to be either mad, or plain stinking rich to buy the Apple over the Dell...but from what I see it's not worth my breath. I don't give a **** if someone else decides to spend over the odds for a screen, when you can get a screen that is equal to it, if not better for much less...hey ho.

Hey, you can feel free to argue. I've had enough of it...

Good luck!

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Bottom line is apart from the 30inch, which is a whole different ball game, apple have ballsed up with the new aluminium displays. So many style concious people were screaming for them last year and rushed out and bought them upon release. End of the day quality just doesn't justify the price. They are perhaps the first apple product in a long time where style is at the sacrifice of quality. The aluminium enclosures put so much pressure on the panels that if they aren't fitted 100% correctly you get discolouration and distortion. You can get equal or better quality displays at lower costs with more features. Some people argue that apple have SWOP certification but you still need to calibrate them and any display these days will give accurate results once this is done for years of use until parts start to wear.
If you disregard specs for a moment the plastic cinema displays were far superior to the ones that replaced them. Once apple dumped the ADC connector they lost one of the unique points and had to compete on the mainstream. So far the move to DVI has brought no real advantage unless you are a PC user. The GPU situation on the mac is still a disgrace. Adding a firwire hub is good but still means another connector to attach to your computer and where is the second DVI connector or S-Video input?
These displays will continue to appeal to those that seek only style, for those that recognise them for what they are and value money then there are far better elsewhere.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
psycho bob said:
Bottom line is apart from the 30inch, which is a whole different ball game, apple have ballsed up with the new aluminium displays. So many style concious people were screaming for them last year and rushed out and bought them upon release. End of the day quality just doesn't justify the price. They are perhaps the first apple product in a long time where style is at the sacrifice of quality. The aluminium enclosures put so much pressure on the panels that if they aren't fitted 100% correctly you get discolouration and distortion. You can get equal or better quality displays at lower costs with more features. Some people argue that apple have SWOP certification but you still need to calibrate them and any display these days will give accurate results once this is done for years of use until parts start to wear.
If you disregard specs for a moment the plastic cinema displays were far superior to the ones that replaced them. Once apple dumped the ADC connector they lost one of the unique points and had to compete on the mainstream. So far the move to DVI has brought no real advantage unless you are a PC user. The GPU situation on the mac is still a disgrace. Adding a firwire hub is good but still means another connector to attach to your computer and where is the second DVI connector or S-Video input?
These displays will continue to appeal to those that seek only style, for those that recognise them for what they are and value money then there are far better elsewhere.

Amen, for me the display equals the output on my Epson 2200 printer.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
edesignuk said:

edesignuk, you and the rest are missing the point, to some Specs mean everything in the word to some the casing means a certain bit as well. If your eyes are sensitive to the bright displays what is the point of having a high contrast and brightness ratio. Some Apple branded displays and other manufacture branded displays are just way to bright for my eyes and I have people around me who also complain about this point. And this is with the brightness at the lowest setting.

Some people like a well rounded display with good design and decent specs, some prefer a the price point and higher specs. It is not brain science it quite simple buy what appeals to you, if you have the money go for it.

In the end when the display is off and visitor walks in your house they would praise an Apple display or computer compared to a Dell. If good looking things do not mean anything to you great no need to snub people here about they purchases, since I am sure you can buy a sofa set for cheap, with comfortable cushions and looks terrible and covered in cloth or you could buy a leather one that cost more and looks better. How many people who visit your house would wish you well on a cloth sofa. :rolleyes:

As I have stated before if you have the money great if you don't look else where I see no reason to argue this point longer specs do not mean the world to everyone since the tech industry is always going to get better for cheaper however in the end if something appeals to you and you are happy that is what matters.

I could spend less on a Dell Display that is manufactured by LG with better specs however in the end the casing look ugly and cheap I would not be happy with it. This same rule comes down to the iPod and mini, since other companies make more featured portable HDD music players however the iPod which has a rotten battery life, no colour screen (except iPod Photo) and the list goes on still does well since IT JUST WORKS and ITS APPEALING.

No need to point finger it just makes some people look and come across as being jealous, I am sure if money was not an issue you would buy a PMG5 dual 2.5GHz over any AMD machine and would also buy 2 30" ACD even though the Dell ones are cheaper and have better specs.

Do not be a hypocrite? :rolleyes: :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
Amen, for me the display equals the output on my Epson 2200 printer.

This is an utter retarded comment. You are comparing an LCD to a Printer. :rolleyes:

I am sure if someone gave you a choice between a 20" ACD and a 20" Dell display for you to have for free you would choose the Apple any day for the looks and given you are getting it for free you would not think twice.

You people sound like hypocrites. On this note why even buy a Mac why not buy a better spec'd PC for cheap and use Windows or Linspire (Lindows).

People are never grateful for what they have and can afford always trying to put another party down. :rolleyes:

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
Hey, you can feel free to argue. I've had enough of it...

Good luck!

In the end if you can afford it you will always want something that looks good to the naked eye from afar, saying otherwise is just plain BS and you know that.

I do not need to explain human evolution to you now same applies for technology since guess who buys them. ;) :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't even see the point of arguing anymore. I made a point a long time ago, many others have backed it up and then added even more "enlightenment", but it doesn't seem to stick.
The Dell monitor is better than the Apple displays, plain and simple. I don't even think it's refutable. If the stats are wrong or something, they're not THAT far off that someone could say that the Dell and Apple displays are equally good. If you have sensitive eyes, turn down the brightness on the Dell.

m a y a said:
I am sure if someone gave you a choice between a 20" ACD and a 20" Dell display for you to have for free you would choose the Apple any day for the looks and given you are getting it for free you would not think twice.

I'd take the Dell. Sort of messes up your point, doesn't it. ;)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Abstract said:
I'd take the Dell. Sort of messes up your point, doesn't it. ;)

Right. :rolleyes: NOT, hypocrite a free ADC 20". You must be a fool indeed. :)

Abstract said:
I don't even see the point of arguing anymore. I made a point a long time ago, many others have backed it up and then added even more "enlightenment", but it doesn't seem to stick.
The Dell monitor is better than the Apple displays, plain and simple. I don't even think it's refutable. If the stats are wrong or something, they're not THAT far off that someone could say that the Dell and Apple displays are equally good. If you have sensitive eyes, turn down the brightness on the Dell.

Read with me the current ADC even with the lowest settings are also too bright for me, however does a monitor with a higher ratio help. You confused or are you only comparing part for part. What stands out more and why do you think so many companies design a nice looking frame because the spec's count. You must be living in a cave. As long as the packaging looks nice that is what counts and the spec's decent.

You sound like a liar and the ::wink:: in your statement proves it as so. :)

I bet M. Dell has a PMG5 2.5GHz with a ADC at home like B.Gates, they have the money you do not so keep looking for the best deal if you cannot have the pretty package. ;) :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
m a y a said:
edesignuk, you and the rest are missing the point, to some Specs mean everything in the word to some the casing means a certain bit as well. If your eyes are sensitive to the bright displays what is the point of having a high contrast and brightness ratio. Some Apple branded displays and other manufacture branded displays are just way to bright for my eyes and I have people around me who also complain about this point. And this is with the brightness at the lowest setting.

Some people like a well rounded display with good design and decent specs, some prefer a the price point and higher specs. It is not brain science it quite simple buy what appeals to you, if you have the money go for it.

In the end when the display is off and visitor walks in your house they would praise an Apple display or computer compared to a Dell. If good looking things do not mean anything to you great no need to snub people here about they purchases, since I am sure you can buy a sofa set for cheap, with comfortable cushions and looks terrible and covered in cloth or you could buy a leather one that cost more and looks better. How many people who visit your house would wish you well on a cloth sofa. :rolleyes:

As I have stated before if you have the money great if you don't look else where I see no reason to argue this point longer specs do not mean the world to everyone since the tech industry is always going to get better for cheaper however in the end if something appeals to you and you are happy that is what matters.

I could spend less on a Dell Display that is manufactured by LG with better specs however in the end the casing look ugly and cheap I would not be happy with it. This same rule comes down to the iPod and mini, since other companies make more featured portable HDD music players however the iPod which has a rotten battery life, no colour screen (except iPod Photo) and the list goes on still does well since IT JUST WORKS and ITS APPEALING.

No need to point finger it just makes some people look and come across as being jealous, I am sure if money was not an issue you would buy a PMG5 dual 2.5GHz over any AMD machine and would also buy 2 30" ACD even though the Dell ones are cheaper and have better specs.

Do not be a hypocrite? :rolleyes: :)

You have good points. Though if the Apple displays offered something more for the price as the iPods do, it would be a different discussion. For those that are in production of printed materials the SWOP certification of the Apple monitors is worth the price of admission.

Though my recent experience with a print house is that the standard today for most is pleasing color. So if what I see on the monitor is pleasing and and what I get in print is , then we are both happy.

For myself, there is little reason to go with the Apple displays over some of the others. Some IMO have taken too serriously Job's words that Apple only gets the best LCD's and everyone else gets the left overs.

In the end it is a matter of pride for those of us that went away from Apple. Maybe I read differently from what you intended, but where is the condemnation of those that feel that the only way to go is the higher priced unit, while discounting those that can do better else where. It reminds me of the Cimmiron that was based on the Calviler back so many years ago.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
m a y a said:
This is an utter retarded comment. You are comparing an LCD to a Printer. :rolleyes:

You people sound like hypocrites. On this note why even buy a Mac why not buy a better spec'd PC for cheap and use Windows or Linspire (Lindows).

People are never grateful for what they have and can afford always trying to put another party down. :rolleyes:

Sorry to ruffle your feathers. We have Apple displays at my job, and the colors and contrast I see between them and my Dell 2001FP are hard pressed to see a difference to my eyes.

If Apple or Dell gave me a monitor for free I would be happy with either. But since it is my money, I would rather not over spend if I don't have to. Yes, to some I spent more on my PB than comparable PC notebooks. But OSX and other factors outweighed the PC world. People like yourself have yet to really make a clear cut discussion of why the Apple monitors are worth the extra dollars for the rest of us.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sorry to ruffle your feathers. We have Apple displays at my job, and the colors and contrast I see between them and my Dell 2001FP are hard pressed to see a difference to my eyes.

If Apple or Dell gave me a monitor for free I would be happy with either. But since it is my money, I would rather not over spend if I don't have to. Yes, to some I spent more on my PB than comparable PC notebooks. But OSX and other factors outweighed the PC world. People like yourself have yet to really make a clear cut discussion of why the Apple monitors are worth the extra dollars for the rest of us.

I have never stated that Apple is right for charging such a high price on they displays I only stated that some people do not mind paying the price for a better casing and as long as the components are decent. Then we also have to factor in that Apple only releases HW and refreshes every so often on the other hand other x86 companies release on a faster refresh rate so if Apple had one of the best looking and decent display when it was released it is obvious that the components or a competitor would out do them that is the "tech industry".

If I could change the casing on the Dell I would, however as I have stated that some people like beautiful looking pieces of work in they house and do not mind the price look no further than ART. Then again its something some might call worth it while other will say not for that price its all a matter of opinion some people like a well rounded objects some look at they pocket book.

If you want the higher spec'd be happy with your purchase and no insult others for they purchases if they want to spend a little extra that is coming from they pocket book and not yours.

its all a matter of opinion :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
edesignuk said:
As I said in the frist place, not even gonna waste my breath.

Yet you still decided to place in your 2 cents. :rolleyes: :)

sure edesignuk if someone gave you a 20" ADC for free or at the same price of the Dell you would take it any day, stating otherwise is being hypocritical. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.