Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
took them long enough. I have had to field the question before of "How do I turn on WiFi, I see airport but no WiFi"

Using industry standard names is a GOOD THING.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
meh

I don't wanna sound hipster, but i kind of liked the mac thing of calling AirPort to the Wi-Fi thingy.. It made it sound more mac-ish and therefore more reliable, as opposed to the crappy PC's Wi-Fi systems. yuck.

that line thing where people state what they own
i use, daily, both pc and mac so i know a tiny bit about the differences
don't hate :)

plawler

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Crap. Now Linksys is going to sue Apple for using the term WiFi.
Actually Linksys doesn't own it. WiFi (wireless fidelity) was created by the Wi-Fi Alliance as an easier to remember and promote name than IEEE 802.11. They also certify devices as Wi-Fi compliant.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
It's interesting but I like it, the Airport thing was a bit of a marketing scheme really - "Wait why does this not have Wi-Fi? It has airport? Ok where do I buy this "airport thing"?" lol.

It was cute when Wi-Fi was new and nobody really knew what it was, but now it just makes Apple look bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept calling the routers "Airport" routers though.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think they're just dropping it for the wireless system integration. The Airport devices will still exist and the Airport Utility for managing them. That's my guess.

Let's hope their new Airport routers are faster to start up... I've always found them to be much slower than the competition to get self-configured.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I think "Airport Extreme" might be dead... Perhaps they move to some naming like "iCloud Hub" or "iCloud Base Station"

There is a rumour circulating around the mill that the next 'Airport Extreme' will be based on an A5 running iOS but I'm unsure how 'real' such a rumour is but it would make for an interesting device - with that being said I was tempted to get a Time Capsule but given the way it was designed I'm unsure whether I'd put so much trust in a device with so many issues (heat + hard disk = not a good outcome) so I decided to get some other NAS device instead.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
In all fairness, when Apple came out with the first AirPort products in 1999, there was no industry standard name.

Now that there is, it makes sense for Apple to adopt it.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the shortage of AirPort devices and Time Capsules -- Apple's been using "WiFi" instead of "AirPort" since the first Lion Developer Preview.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
There is a rumour circulating around the mill that the next 'Airport Extreme' will be based on an A5 running iOS but I'm unsure how 'real' such a rumour is but it would make for an interesting device - with that being said I was tempted to get a Time Capsule but given the way it was designed I'm unsure whether I'd put so much trust in a device with so many issues (heat + hard disk = not a good outcome) so I decided to get some other NAS device instead.

I can happily back up by Time Machine with an Airport Extreme base station + USB hub + external USB harddisk (I also plugged a printer to the AEBS, which in this way supports AirPrint too.)

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd like to know this too please

Option click the wifi...errr...Airport menulet in the menu bar.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
I always felt that "AirPort" was a reference to the hardware, not the data protocol. Too bad, I like AirPort.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I always thought AirPort was a clever name for the hardware...

Perhaps they'll take this opportunity to re-brand the Time Capsule and enable it with some iCloud functionality (maybe have free access to your Time Capsule/Mac files on the go?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.