Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2005
New York
I have slightly more than 2,000 songs in my music library and one day I opened the application and noticed all the songs were deselected. That has never happened before and I was not sure what to do so I stopped by Apple on my way home from work.

When I explained the situation to an employee, he thought about it for 30 seconds and then opened iTunes on one of the Powerbooks. He tried several things and then commented, "This is the first time I've come across such a problem. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it looks like you have a whole lotta clicking to do in order to put all those check marks back. Sorry I couldn't help you more."

I was there for a reason ... I did not have the solution, but before I left I tried someone else. He flashed a wide smile when I told him about the first answer. We walked over to a computer and he said, "This is very simple. To deselect all the songs all you have to do is hold down the Command (or Apple) key while clicking any box, and to select them all just click any unchecked box while holding down the same key."

Moral: When you receive a dubious answer or deal with one of those folks who don't like delving into anything, just shop around. The right response most likely exists.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
neat story. it is in fact true that most apple store employees are simply people that have been grabbed from other retail stores (heh, not literally!).

in every store, there's only a few people who know what they're talking about. it's kinda frustrating..!

glad you found the answer to your question tho..

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
I had a similar experience at the Apple store in Pleasanton, California.

I asked an employee how I could transfer files from my PC to my Mac Mini, and he said I had to copy all of the files onto CDs and transfer them manually. I asked if there was a way to connect my PC to my Mac and transfer the files that way, and he said that would be too difficult, as I'd have to "find IP addresses."

I knew that wasn't a satisfactory answer, and I could see the desperate look in the employee's eyes, and I could see he wasn't about to tell me that he actually didn't know the answer. So, I came back to MacRumors forums and did some searching and some asking, and found the answers I needed.

The American retail experience is a vast wasteland, and anyone should consider himself lucky if he has a positive experience while dealing with underpaid, overworked retail employees. I work retail part time, and dealing with the public is almost unbearable. The only thing that keeps me going back to that job is my love for my area of expertise, and the fun I have with fellow employees.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
tom5304 said:
The American retail experience is a vast wasteland, and anyone should consider himself lucky if he has a positive experience while dealing with underpaid, overworked retail employees. I work retail part time, and dealing with the public is almost unbearable. The only thing that keeps me going back to that job is my love for my area of expertise, and the fun I have with fellow employees.

AMEN.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
asif786 said:
neat story. it is in fact true that most apple store employees are simply people that have been grabbed from other retail stores (heh, not literally!).

in every store, there's only a few people who know what they're talking about. it's kinda frustrating..!

Unfortunately, this is true for most aspects of the retail business these days. People are doing jobs for one thing... money. They rarely know anything about the items that they are there to sell.

Luckily, we all have places to go on the Internet to find out the answers to things that we want to know.... like the MacRumors Forums. :D

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I have now fulfilled my "learn something new every day" requirement for May 8! And a neat bit of trivia it is.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Kerry Sanders said:
Unfortunately, this is true for most aspects of the retail business these days. People are doing jobs for one thing... money.

Yeah, greedy retail employees. Those Apple Store jerks are all about the Benjamins. Sometimes I wait around until they close just to peg eggs at their Porsches as they drive home.

L

Lau

tfaz1 said:
Yeah, greedy retail employees. Those Apple Store jerks are all about the Benjamins. Sometimes I wait around until they close just to peg eggs at their Porsches as they drive home.

:D

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
wow, you really have to come to Greece to see what it is like to have an underpaid and totally unaware person of what he is selling.

what did u say again? a maf? (mac)

hey, at least we are selling them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.