Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
This super duper new pencil better have a large OLED accessory to go with it

or all hell will be let loose

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Hmm wonder if they’ll update the Mac Studio and Pro with M3 too? It’s a possibility.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Will be interesting to see what these OLED models are like. And if they do give them a price rise or not.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Perhaps hover distance with the new Pencil and iPad Pro will increase and pulling the Pencil back and forth does somethin…tbc 🐿️

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Introducing the new Polishing Cloth Pro with nano ceramic coating, for the most thorough and gentle polishing experience we’ve ever created. Coming in 5 different colors it truly is 5 years ahead of any other polishing cloth on the market today. It is the most pro polishing cloth ever. You’re going to love it.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Pencil for iPad as there is more room and artists have been using on WACOM for quite some time. It would be seen as just a stylus on the phone which goes against all Jobs originally pushes against.
At the time anyway. But in 2024, I think there are a couple of things worth mentioning: Jobs was against requiring a stylus to control the general user interaction of a phone with a 3.5-inch, 320 x 480 resolution screen, through things like pull down menus etc. And he was right.

But that's not the same as allowing stylus use in certain apps on a 6.7-inch, 1290 x 2796 resolution screen.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I’m excited for the new iPad Pros, but find it weird that they’re focusing on the pencil. I had both Apple Pencil 1 and Pencil 2 and have never really found a use for them. I’m not artist and don’t draw. Any text entry is much faster with a keyboard. Creating diagrams is easier and cleaner with an app like Keynote or PowerPoint. Pencils just feel like an antiquated tool that is only useful to small segment of visual artists.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
An event for a pencil and none for the M3 MBA, wow!

It must be a VERY special pencil if it gets a whole event for itself.
Or, what else will be released?

• Wow
Reactions: TruthAboveAllElse

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Correction: Tim Cook hints at another Apple Pencil, adding to the already ridiculously bloated lineup. Unfortunately for all, it will not simply be a "new" Apple Pencil to replace the existing. Just realize for a moment that something as simple as the Apple Pencil accessory has grown to a lineup of 3 soon to be 4 units at 4 different prices with compatibility spread across 4 different iPads. I feel like this is the quintessential example of just how far Apple has fallen in terms of coherent product design and vision.

There should be ONE Apple Pencil that works on all iPads, period.

sayhitokyle

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Tamworth, UK
IMG_2745.jpeg

I don’t know if anyone noticed this? Can’t see any hidden words in the other logos though? 😅

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Guessing there's zero chance the pencil will work with old iPads, except maybe from the gen that introduced hover, but even then I doubt it. Prices of big iPad Pro are eye watering these days.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
What if the Pencil worked with A.I. to make all your drawings all look like Michelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci drew them... 🤔

Ideas like this seem great at first glance. However, flood the market with art indistinguishable from any artist and not only will it all become "ho hum" art but it will even pull down the original creations with it. Those who discover a style via AI DaVinicis may not be impressed in the least at actual DaVincis. If the AI is good enough to look like it could be DaVinci, the actual creations will blend in... and the whole portfolio would likely seem visually boring.

What if new AI GarageBand makes it possible for all songs to sound like Beatles? That Beatles sound will become boring quickly... and then even the originals would sound like all of the "new" stuff. Part of why we like music beyond only The Beatles or only Taylor Swift or only <whoever you like> is because the differences make it appealing.

What if plastic surgery could all make us look like whoever is crowned sexiest <person> alive" this year? If we all looked the same, we'd all be bored with that look very quickly. Then that odd guy who didn't have the surgery is probably sexiest man alive at the next coronation simply because he's more interesting to look at than 4 Billion copies of whoever it was this year.

Part of the appeal in all these types of examples is the relative uniqueness & scarcity of it. Make scarcity into a commodity and the perception of it will plunge.

Last example to stretch the concept beyond AI: there's an asteroid out there called 16 Psyche that is apparently loaded with precious metals. I've seen valuations of it at 10 Quintillion dollars, which is many times more than all of the actual money- and credit- in the world. If one would go lasso it and tow it back to Earth and then mine all of that platinum, gold, etc, apparently that person would be far beyond the wildest concept of monetary wealth. However, when platinum or gold is as abundant as sand or air, guess what happens to its desirability, appeal, value? It drops to being how we value sand and air now.

Scarcity & uniqueness is key to appreciating art. AI making masterpieces easy to create will only lead to other kinds of art becoming the new masterpieces. If AI can make amateurs masters of all art, some other form of visual stimulation beyond AI capabilities will become the new masterpieces. We humans tend to not appreciate the art of anything in massive abundance. There are no museums packed with people to admire sand or soil or water or air.

Last edited:

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Apple should create an Apple Pencil to work with Apple Vision Pro, to allow drawing and painting on any surface, with potentially limitless work-space.
That's a good idea, and provide advanced tracking. So game makers could sell large grips for it and then you use it as a sword or gun or whatever in games and tracking is perfect even if a camera can't see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.