Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
BlizzardBomb said:
While I would normally agree, look at the MBP, iMac, Mac Mini, iPod 5G, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle and iSight. These products have not been updated for a while and the product line is starting to get stale.
Thats true but... but....
When was the last time Apple released 7 new hardware products on the same day?
The iPod shuffle has one earbud sticking out of it's grave; so six, maybe....

cadillaccactus

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
swingerofbirch said:
I wonder if it will still be called the iTunes Music Store?

I have oft wondered the same thing. is iTunes really the best name for the store anymore?

anyone have ideas?

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Unorthodox said:
Thats true but... but....
When was the last time Apple released 7 new hardware products on the same day?
The iPod shuffle has one earbud sticking out of it's grave; so six, maybe....

Valid point. We'll just have to wait for the day then. :) ;)

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
bjdku said:
Iand who has been feverishly building bandwidth and capability to deliver full length full resolution movies...Google has.
Google is buying up Dark Fiber. That means no end points into homes like Verizons FIOS has. The bottleneck for full length high resolution movies will be from decentralized distribution centers to the homes. Dark Fiber is helping, but not by much.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
baxterbrittle said:
I don't care what it is, just give us something new to talk about. Mac Pro really nice machine but we saw it coming months in advance. Maybe not he exact spec but yeah we all knew it was coming. Same with Merom, Conroe etc... Give us something new, really new.

Get used to the new way. The only real suprise news from now on willl be specific software features, cosmetics and any new details not widely anticipated. The primary processor and platform/form factors are likely to remain unsurprising.

Furthermore, chip advances just took a big leap. Do not expect that again for 2 or more years.

Rocketman

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Diggadonkey said:
Back to the issue of PDA hardware options, does anyone have a clue whether it makes ANY sense to invest in Palm OS based PDA devices (like the Palm TX)? Is the Palm OS going to disappear? I'm holding out on a new PDA for fear that something directly from Apple will hit the market soon. I hate the thought of buying a Pocket PC device, and I would LOVE it if the next gen. video iPod had a boatload of PDA type features- which only makes sense given the rumored larger screen size.

The Palm OS as we currently know it (the one you will find on Palm OS-powered Treos, the Palm TX, etc.) is basically dead. PalmSource is doing no further development to it, and PalmSource was acquired by Access, which is creating the Access Linux Platform as a successor to the Palm OS (it will include Palm emulation to run Palm apps, etc.).

It's not to say that it's compeltely worthless to have a Palm-based system. Plenty of people still do have Palm OS Treos and other Palm OS PDA's, and there's still plenty of people using it and developing software for it. I personally have a Treo 650 and it's still working great for me.

Hopefully Palm will license the Access Linux Platform and use that so that the "Palm OS" stays alive, but so far Palm hasn't committed to it. It's entirely possible that Palm could end up just making Windows Mobile devices.

If you want a platform that definitely has support behind it, you're basically stuck with a PocketPC. There's also Symbian and some other stuff, but PocketPC is definitely sort of repeating the "success" of Windows in the PDA world.

-Zadillo

Rocketman

macrumors 603
MarcelV said:
Google is buying up Dark Fiber. That means no end points into homes like Verizons FIOS has. The bottleneck for full length high resolution movies will be from decentralized distribution centers to the homes. Dark Fiber is helping, but not by much.

Apple bought Worldcom's new telecom switch center.

Google is buying Nortel's dark fiber.

Google's CEO is on Apple's board.

Nobody is going to run fiber to the last mile.

The solution is Intel wimax and Samsung 4G.

I told you so.

Rocketman

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Machead III said:
If they don't announce/release new MacBooks, my plans are severely screwed.

Same here, although I'd probably just get a current Macbook if that's the case. I decided I won't wait beyond Paris Expo.

Although I might still be tempted to buy a MBP if Apple offered a 160GB hd for a reasonable or it were easy to put one in there.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
BRLawyer said:
I have just called SJ, and he told me the following:

- iTMS Movie Store;

- MBPs with Merom, and the new MBP 12";

- MacMini with Core Duo;

- iMacs with Conroe;

- Apple IIGS 2006 Edition.

Could you ask them when we'll get Core 2 for the new Powerbooks?

aaronb

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
What I'm confused about is how the movie downloads will be decent quality and not take FOREVER to download. If the quality is great, the download time is going to be ridiculous. If the quality is bad, no one would even consider buying it.

I would rather buy a 15 dollar DVD, rip it into my iPod and still have a DVD that looks good on my TV. That's just IMO.

nem3015

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Pleasanton, California
Almost a tuesday

gugy said:
If there is a Special Event then we might see the new Ipod Video and maybe the Itunes Movie Store.

To go a little crazy, maybe the Media Center.

Updates for MacMini and Laptops at this time will be a simple Tuesday update on Apple's site. I see no reason to have an Special Event for that.

Well if they do the announcement late on Monday 12 in Cupertino that will be Tuesday in Paris (time zone difference is +9) so will comply with the tradition LOL :rolleyes: :p :D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Need Confirmation 1.66GHz Core Duo Is Shipping Instead of 1.5GHz Core Solo

HecubusPro said:
I posted this on the mini specs forum, but thought it would be needed here as well.
Are they already shipping then?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2010
Yes they are. But we are still looking for a second report to corroborate this report. This is the same report of 1.66GHz Core Duo instead of 1.5GHz Core Solo.
Goldfinger said:
What about this report of a silent mini update already in the pipeline on the French HardMac website? :)

"I have ordered a Mac mini Core solo with 1GB of RAM last Saturday to use it as a server, and what a surprise when I received the box!

My Mac mini has been upgraded:
- Core Duo 1.66GHz instead of Core Solo 1.5GHz
- HD 100GB instead of 60GB
- and a SuperDrive instead of a Combo!

Thanks Apple !

On the box, the specifications are those of a Mac mini Core Solo...
"
Thank you.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
On that same page there's this as well...

MacBook Pro are also EOL?
A report from a french student who wanted to buy a MBPro thanks to the Special Deal "MIPE":

Yesterday, August 30th, I have placed an order for a MB Pro 2.0GHz via the Special Deal "MIPE" from the French AppleStore Education. Today, while checking the status, I have seen that my MBPro was not mentioned anymore in my chart; but the other products I have ordered were still there on the list. So I have tried to add a new MB Pro to my current order, but I was unsuccessful.
So I called the French AppleStore (0800-046-046), and I was told that Apple ran out of stocks for the MBPro, the expected shipping delay is 3 to 5 weeks.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-31/#5869

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Wahoo! I'm hoping for a couple of things:
1. The mac mini has an upped processor and can support 5.1 channel surround sound
2. Macbooks and macbook pro's to have the memrom
3. iMacs with conroe
4. An ipod update for the video and nano
5. All these rumors of an iphone. Maybe we'll get one maybe we won't? I'm not expecting it to be released on the 12th.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Pass the doobie

Multimedia said:
September 12 SteveNote. Well I must have posted that phrase scores of times earlier this year - just didn't think it would be in San Francisco instead of Paris. All the better. Perfect ending to a wonderful Summer 2006.

Lots for him to talk about.

Core 2 Duo will be the star.
End of Core Solo minis.
All new redesigned MacBook Pro.
All new iMac design with Conroe inside.
iTunes Media Store Movie Downloads.

Maybe even "One More Thing"

Pass the doobie

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
With the competition getting ready to ship Core 2s I think this is where Apple is going on the 12th. Their inventories will be worked down with back to school buying and they are not going to let the competition get that far ahead of them.

On the iPod situation, if you are looking at a Palm type enhancement then I think it will be based on a stripped down version of OS X, allowing Apple to do a good job with iCal, some of iLife, Address Book, etc. The benefit of the partial OS X is that 3rd party developers who have come up with some very good apps could migrate them to an iPod version with (hopefully) relative ease. That could generate some excitement in the market that would also leave MS in the dust with their MP3. Could be very interesting - and would also explain the delay in releasing new models.

On the movie side, I would look for a feature that allows you to move an actual DVD to the video iPod. Would be great for long flights when going on a business trip - especially if you're in cattle car with not enough room to open your notebook.

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
dizastor said:
I can't take any more of this. I've eaten all of my fingernails and I'm starting to gaze longingly at my toes.

It strikes me that many here are in need of this

Yes, dizastor, there is a Steven Jobs. He exists as certainly as MacBook and Mac Pro and iPod exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy! It would be as dreary as if there were only Bill$. There would be no OS X then, no QuickTime, no iTunes to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in WMA and RealPlayer.

So take heart that to you good things shall come.

With apologies to Francis Church.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.