Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Oh please. Let's not be quick to reward her. What is she REALLY giving away? 30 Minutes of her time? She isn't giving anything here. What she is doing is reinforcing her own self worth and upping her ego. She thinks she is a celebrity and is gracefully donating NOTHING. She will probably do it on Apple's clock.

Donating lunches is about ego, self worth, and business networking....not about the cause. If she cared about the cause....let her open her check book...I'm sure she has plenty. And this is less about the charity and more about some rich person getting face time with an Apple executive. I'm sure plenty of normal people are just looking to blow $10k. This is a business lunch...not a customer wins a lunch.

Why can't people see the obvious here? Are people that brainwashed by the Kardashians and social media??
You're right, I'm sure she doesn't donate to any charities from her own checkbook and she's just doing this to boost her ego and take credit for someone else's donation.

I'm kidding obviously. I'm sure she donates plenty on her own, just not everyone feels the need to publicize a list of every donation they make. If she really wanted to boost her ego she would do that.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Why would anyone pay anything to have lunch with this woman??? They might want to lower the starting bid to $1.

If you're some important execute, you might have the chance to pitch some business idea. Maybe you can convince Tim Cook to invest in (or buy) your company. $2 million is not that much money for a medium company to risk/bet/invest.

As for that black lady, the only reason people will pay to have lunch with her is to maybe, game her since she's rich. She's not fat so that's already okay for most man.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Really??? So this is where Apple is going....watchbands, emojis, and now power lunches. No thanks. These people really think they are that important. Why would anyone pay anything to have lunch with this woman??? They might want to lower the starting bid to $1.

Because she's the Head of Global Consumer Marketing for Apple Music and iTunes. That's a pretty high up position, and I'm sure someone in such a position has some wisdom to impart. Besides, she just seems like a generally fun person.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Nope. This is not for charity. This is a publicity stunt. She should go back to her office...

Her presentation was awful.

Oh please. Let's not be quick to reward her. What is she REALLY giving away? 30 Minutes of her time? She isn't giving anything here. What she is doing is reinforcing her own self worth and upping her ego. She thinks she is a celebrity and is gracefully donating NOTHING. She will probably do it on Apple's clock.

Donating lunches is about ego, self worth, and business networking....not about the cause. If she cared about the cause....let her open her check book...I'm sure she has plenty. And this is less about the charity and more about some rich person getting face time with an Apple executive. I'm sure plenty of normal people are just looking to blow $10k. This is a business lunch...not a customer wins a lunch.

You guys say the same thing when Tim Cook does one?

Why is it always people who accuse other people of being gender and race biased that is the only people that is actually focusing on someones race and gender
Well, to be fair, those qualities can impact people's reaction and language without them explicitly saying so. I'm just saying that the absence of mentioning those qualities, doesn't imply that they are not on a person's mind.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Oh come on... let's be realistic. You don't get to be a head of marketing at a top world company if you're not a very talented person. I'm sure she's much more fun when not trying to force a style in a presentation, and such a conversation would be very valuable to anyone involved in marketing.

If she was a REAL Apple marketing person from the days when they were doing much better things.....sure. She is a Beats carry over, and there is nothing about Beats marketing that isn't text books stuff. She holds zero interest for me and is not a major figure (IMO) in Apple's history. If it wasn't for her 5 minutes of fame in the keynote, we wouldn't even be talking about her. Just because she has Apple on her resume doesn't make her special. I personally know several "marketing" people that would blow your mind.

Let's see how many will say that these negative responses have nothing to do with the combination of ethnicity and gender.
And how many of the people jumping to her defense are on the P.C. bandwagon? "Better hurry up and defend her as I might be labeled!!!" I think for most people race isn't in the cards here. Personally I find her "I'm a celebrity" way of thinking the problem.

You're right, I'm sure she doesn't donate to any charities from her own checkbook and she's just doing this to boost her ego and take credit for someone else's donation.

I'm kidding obviously. I'm sure she donates plenty on her own, just not everyone feels the need to publicize a list of every donation they make. If she really wanted to boost her ego she would do that.
Quick, lets run to the defense of a wealthy person that would step on us to get to the top! She is boosting her ego BY doing this. Most people who give money don't announce it...those that don't typically make a big deal of the small times they do....like this.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
... let me not sugar coat it, we are talking about a woman that is also black, who presented at an Apple event. Bozoma Saint John brought a unique energy to that keynote, she has incredible personality and she literally woke up that crowd, who were half way unconscious. Whether they sang along or not is irrelevant, people were genuinely showing interest in the presentation. Let's see how many will say that these negative responses have nothing to do with the combination of ethnicity and gender.

Huh? Who cares what pigment tone her skin is? (apparently you) And, if we're going to get all superficial, she's gorgeous and since there are more men in tech, we (men) would probably rather have lunch with her than Cook or Cue. And, you don't find it a bit odd that Apple's presentation would suddenly go from a bunch-o-'white' men to a mixture of sex, ethnicity, etc.? That doesn't just happen that quickly, naturally.

I'd have loved for her presentation to come off really well, I was just a bit shocked by this headline, as I didn't think it did. That has nothing to do with her sex or skin color. And, I don't really think she 'woke up' the crowd... that was part of the problem, IMO. It was a crowd of developers, not teen clubbers.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Actually, Yes! I think Cook is full of hot air and is running Apple into the ground. I think EVERYONE at Apple should spend less time doing these fake donations, pride parades, and watch band events and get back to work! Steve Jobs didn't need all this rubbish......time to clear out the house and bring in some humble people!

Sir-Jonathan-Ive-at-the-G-009.jpg

This is not what a HUMBLE Apple exec used to look like. This is the new rubbish Apple that holds fashion events and just loves watch bands.

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
These things would be a lot more interesting if done as a raffle. The opportunity is way out of reach for the normal person. I also think a $50 raffle to have Lunch with Tim Cook would raise more than the last two lunches combined.

It's about raising money

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Actually, Yes! I think Cook is full of hot air and is running Apple into the ground. I think EVERYONE at Apple should spend less time doing these fake donations, pride parades, and watch band events and get back to work! Steve Jobs didn't need all this rubbish......time to clear out the house and bring in some humble people!
Don't worry, they'll announce your new MacBook Pro, 5k display, and graphics cards in a few months.

Reactions: Cineplex

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I think having lunch with her would be a very enlightening and interesting experience. She is obviously a very intelligent and successful woman. Kudos to her for being willing to donate her time for this charity.

Well said.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
I can't believe some of these comments... Actually, I can believe some of these comments. She looks different than the usual Apple lineup... let me not sugar coat it, we are talking about a woman that is also black, who presented at an Apple event. Bozoma Saint John brought a unique energy to that keynote, she has incredible personality and she literally woke up that crowd, who were half way unconscious. Whether they sang along or not is irrelevant, people were genuinely showing interest in the presentation. Let's see how many will say that these negative responses have nothing to do with the combination of ethnicity and gender.
Er? Who cares if she is black? Your literally the ony one that has brought her skin color into it, which is borderline racist in itself.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada

First, I'm not sure what you did with the quotes there, but that wasn't all me, or doesn't seem to capture my point...

But, about what? While I personally don't care much for Tim's Apple leadership, I'd have lunch with him, as I'm sure I could learn something.

Or, about giving a presentation? Cook is a *much* better presenter. He's no Steve Jobs, but he's actually pretty good at it. (and, again, I'm no fan of Cook... I agree with others here that's he's running Apple into the ground.)

If she was a REAL Apple marketing person from the days when they were doing much better things.....sure. She is a Beats carry over, and there is nothing about Beats marketing that isn't text books stuff. She holds zero interest for me and is not a major figure (IMO) in Apple's history. If it wasn't for her 5 minutes of fame in the keynote, we wouldn't even be talking about her. Just because she has Apple on her resume doesn't make her special. I personally know several "marketing" people that would blow your mind.

Oh yea, I'm just saying that *I* (or other probably other business people) could learn from her. She wouldn't be near my top pick list if I were just picking marketers to have lunch with. But, there's a whole bunch of marketing people at many companies I've not heard of that I'm sure I could learn from.

And how many of the people jumping to her defense are on the P.C. bandwagon? "Better hurry up and defend her as I might be labeled!!!" I think for most people race isn't in the cards here. Personally I find her "I'm a celebrity" way of thinking the problem.

No kidding. While I'm in no way saying real racism doesn't exist (it does, I've seen it), much of the 'racism' today is an, 'I win the argument bully-club' made up of mostly liberals. (I guess that fits, given their historical roots! Just a different type of using someone for their gain.)

I'd also wonder (given the whole show) if she weren't prompted to try and pull that off.

Quick, lets run to the defense of a wealthy person that would step on us to get to the top! She is boosting her ego BY doing this. Most people who give money don't announce it...those that don't typically make a big deal of the small times they do....like this.

As above, I'd bet she was asked to do this. This isn't mostly about charity, it's about PR.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
This is relevant, I think.

Good point... compared to the rest of the show, she was the highlight... though in an awkward sort of way. If she wouldn't have tried to get the crowd involved, it would have been better. That's kind of like an bad HR exercise or poor gathering ice-breaker kind of tactic.

I think you're mistaking me with someone else. I don't think I've quoted you at all.

OH, sorry... possibly my mistake. The posts don't look now like they did earlier, so whoever it was must have fixed it (or it was a forum glitch).

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012

Sir-Jonathan-Ive-at-the-G-009.jpg

This is not what a HUMBLE Apple exec used to look like. This is the new rubbish Apple that holds fashion events and just loves watch bands.
So if you're rich you have to dress and live like a poor person so you don't hurt other people's feelings?

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Why is it always people who accuse other people of being gender and race biased that is the only people that is actually focusing on someones race and gender
They're not. The people who are just deny it. This thread is much different. Attacks on her character and it's obvious why when you consider the demographics of macwhiners.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.