Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
When someone figures out how to make one with a battery that last a year without recharging I will be interested. A watch is just not something I am prepared to charge everyday.

Indeed. The times would be many where i would just go "meh" and leave it on the charger before hurrying off to work, or realizing i forgot to charge it and its out of battery.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I'm still nowhere near convinced that an iWatch-type device is a smart move for Apple- I just don't see a big demand for one. Guess we'll see in a shirt while...

Many said the same thing when the iPad rumors were circulating (I was one of them!)...I think the expectations may exceed the product...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The render in this story isn't a watch. It's not a band. It's an iPhone wrapped around the wrist. I am sure a fun project to create in whatever software was used. But I don't believe this is remotely close to what might be produced.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Still not convinced that we'll ever see an iWatch. It sounds like a half-baked device at best.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
So, circuit board samples are just being delivered now? And this thing is going to launch in September? Admittedly, I know very little about supply chain and production timelines, but it seems that if we are just at the sample stage, we have a long way to go to a final product and launch.

On a similar note, I just read an article this morning stating that the iWatch will have UV sensors and that the company that develops that tech just finished it in Feb. I find it hard to imagine that a tech that was just released will show up in an Apple product 5 months from now.

I'm at the point where I'm expecting a simple watch, with some notification capability. I have no expectation of being impressed. Though it is hard not to get excited about some of the possibilities.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
People sad the same thing about the iPhone... Wearables are the future and Apple would be foolish to not push the envelope into this market. You will be singing a whole different tune a few years from now.

No, people didn't say the same thing about the iPhone. Prior to the iPhone's release, people were skeptical, but smartphones were becoming increasingly popular without Apple's entry into the market. Currently, there is almost zero interest in an iWatch device. Apple will have to create an interest in the product almost entirely by themselves. You could argue Apple accomplished this with the iPad, but I wouldn't agree with that either. There was a clear market for an ultra mobile device- the explosion of the netbook device was proof of that. So there was clearly a market for a an ultra mobile device, someone just had to make it right. People aren't running around trying to get their hands on a Pebble smart watch or Galaxy Gear- mostly because consumers just don't care about it.

----------

people said the same thing about tablets during the first ipad rumors

Not really- there was clearly a market for an ultra mobile device as could be seen from the shortly lived netbook boom. Apple just needed to get the form factor and battery life right. Plenty of people wanting computing on the go with a very small form factor (compared to laptops), but I hardly see any interest for an iWatch device outside of the technophile crowd, and even then the interest is dismal.

rwarren1

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Currently, there is almost zero interest in an iWatch device.

This is simply not true. I have worn my 6th gen iPod nano on my arm for a couple of years now, waiting on an iWatch with more functionality. Everyone that asks about my "watch" thinks it is the coolest thing in the world when they find out it is actually an iPod Nano.

I will be an early adopter, assuming it doesn't look at the piece of crap on the first page of this thread.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
This is simply not true. I have worn my 6th gen iPod nano on my arm for a couple of years now, waiting on an iWatch with more functionality. Everyone that asks about my "watch" thinks it is the coolest thing in the world...

You and a handful of other people =/= 65 million units worth of interest. Did you see 65 million people run to an Apple store to buy an iPod Nano with a wrist strap? And I think you may be over estimating people's reaction to your Nano. When people say "Oh- that's... Interesting..." they may mean that, but they may also be thinking "I wish I had the heart to tell him he looks like an idiot."

rwarren1

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
You and a handful of other people =/= 65 million units worth of interest. Did you see 65 million people run to an Apple store to buy an iPod Nano with a wrist strap? And I think you may be over estimating people's reaction to your Nano. When people say "Oh- that's... Interesting..." they may mean that, but they may also be thinking "I wish I had the heart to tell him he looks like an idiot."

I never said anything about 65 million people. Also, that number is a RUMOR posted on this site that has no more credibility than the obnoxious mock up shown on the first page of this thread.

There are a lot of numbers between ZERO and 65 million. Ever heard of the Tik Tok and LunaTik products? They are watch bands for mounting the iPod Nano on your wrist. They raised $942,578 on Kickstarter. Obviously, you are correct. There is ZERO interest in an Apple wrist wearable device.

badgerdon

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Things you don't know you need....

Apple is the King of selling you something you did not think you wanted....

I'm still nowhere near convinced that an iWatch-type device is a smart move for Apple- I just don't see a big demand for one. Guess we'll see in a shirt while...

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
How do you guys think security will work? A passcode for each unlock could be quite cumbersome.

Proximity to iPhone?
Authorization required when removed?
Touch ID?

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world

I think like most things Apple, the demand will be there because people will think they HAVE to have one.

If they do it, it better be waterproof.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I still do not see the advantage of one of those over a simple, plain mechanical automatic watch, which is a beauty. There are some out there way beyond my price range (think Ferrari) which are marvels of engineering.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
People sad the same thing about the iPhone... Wearables are the future and Apple would be foolish to not push the envelope into this market. You will be singing a whole different tune a few years from now.

Nope. The iPhone was a game changer as it did something new. You might argue that "wearables" do that too but my simple Omega watch I got from my dad (he got it from my mom and still regrets having given it to me once) is also a wearable and it shows the time. Now, maybe putting an iWatch on for exercising - ok. But the Nokia accessories or other bands are still only a niche product.

The iPhone came at a time when the internet was exploding and social media were emerging as main stream applications, the iPad was the logical extension of it. The iWatch isn't! Where is a market building a backbone (as the web/social media have been for iOS devices)?

But maybe APL has something in their sleeves to convince me, didn't like the iPad mini either and now love it. Time will tell.

Last edited:

iTycho

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
Thank you sooooooooooo much for using this only slightly hideous mockup, rather than the really really really really really really bad one by Gábor Balogh that you've been showing a lot lately. That one (with the mismatched modern electronic & classic leather styles paired, ridiculous round screen (so it has π*2"^2 pixels? lol), the three hardware buttons (yeah, SUPER likely *dripping w/ sarcasm*, just look at ALL the myriad buttons on the rest of their devices & mice), and the "oh so visually cluttery" 300 hash marks around the edge of screen (for calculating 5ths of a second??)..... basically offends me every time I see it.
Lol, it needs a caption like "idiot n00b designer shows antithesis of what Apple could possibly be making".

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
We will see

I remain skeptical of the utility of this. Beyond GPS running watches, I just don't see the utility. I hope I am surprised.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
If Apple will be releasing an iWatch this year I expect you'll hear about it at WWDC. Google has announced Android Wear already well in advance of the hardware availability to give developers a head start which is exactly what Apple should do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.