Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Wow.
I hope this is just a idea that stays a idea.
I don't care how well you design a water cooled computer. Nothing is perfect their is always a chance for failure.
Especially in a laptop. That is constantly being subjected to movement and jarring. No way.
Didn't Apple learn from the g5's. Allot of Apple costumers sure did.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
PowerBook G5 at last? :D:cool:

Current MacBooks use air cooling, driven by internal fans; while this is sufficient, it is thought that future components -- such as faster video cards and quad-core CPUs -- may force Apple to use more efficient (and possibly quieter) cooling. Active and passive methods are being suggested.
Hopefully this will enable more powerful notebooks. MacBook Pros haven't exactly been at the cutting edge in performance. Perhaps the 17" MacBook Pro will end up with liquid cooling, allowing it to be a leap ahead of the 15" models like how the 15" is ahead of the 13" MacBook.

Assuming Apple will use this patent, when do you think this will turn up in notebooks? I'm thinking the upcoming 17" MacBook Pro is too early for this.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
ummm can you say G5 cooler fluid leak?
Very this.

Not to mention the abuse laptops take since they're mobile. Didn't Intel have some wonder system that uses the heat generation to power a fan? I know the technology for it isn't new but I forget the name.

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
that would be awesome if it worked... but with the heat coming off of my current macbook pro I think the water would just boil.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Good god, if most of you all were running apple there would never be a technological advance! I'm glad they're looking into alternative cooling methods as the cooling fans are probably the most annoying thing in (almost) every computer today.

The idea of dissipating the heat through the display is very interesting. why not, however, go a step further and incorporate the CPU and GPU in the screen leaving only the heavy components like the battery and hdd (soon to be ssd) in the base in order to keep the balance and not cause excessive wear on - or require massive - hinges.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
To be honest, the heat is crazy that comes off of my Macbook Pro! If you're wearing shorts your legs will be burnt in no time with that thing.

I have the new aluminum 2.4GHz MBP and I have found it to not get hot at all. In fact, I've never heard the fan kick on and I'm always running Parallels and other stuff at the same time. My old white MacBook always ran hot but my new MBP runs relatively cool and quiet.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
As mentioned above, I think Apple is taking the wrong approach.

If components are getting cooler, why not just use the excess heat to power a fan or your battery. It'd sure be better than running the risk of water damage.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Liquid cooling, folks, not WATER cooling.

There are video card coolers today that use heat pipes to pull heat away from the GPU and send it to additional heat sinks. I believe the current CPU/GPU coolers in our MB/MBPs use heat pipes. These heat pipes use a volatile liquid that vaporizes at high temperature, taking away heat via evaporation. that heat is removed by the remote fan or heat sink, where the liquid condenses and flows back to the CPU area.

The problem isn't with the liquid, it's with the flexible connection. If they can make a viable seal that will withstand the changing temperatures, the movement of the hinge, and have zero loss (unlike a air pressure system for tires that can have some loss as it will simply get re-pressurized), then this can be a winner. Preferably an insulated heat pipe to get the heat up to the top of the LCD panel, and then cool it down the back. Probably wouldn't even need a pump, this flow could possibly be done passively.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
What about carrying your Macbook through a winter storm , of coarse in a case? Wouldn't the liquid used in the system freeze?

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Oh, the laptop isn't liquid...that makes sense

I read the title and wondered how you would make a liquid laptop! :D:D:D

I know Apple is ahead of the curve, but wow! :p

Nabby

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
What about carrying your Macbook through a winter storm , of coarse in a case? Wouldn't the liquid used in the system freeze?

Liquids don't all freeze at zero Celsius and boil at 100 Celsius. Iron is a liquid at the right temperature, so is Nitrogen.

There are liquids that will boil at low temperatures (well below 100 Celsius, but above room temperature), that are relatively non-toxic, and are non-conducting. These are manufactured for purposes just as we are noting here. Not sure what their freeze point is, but I'm sure there are good ones that freeze well below the temps we'd worry about.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html

You can add a 2.7 GHz model under my care to this.

Yes, that is the one and only link to any major problems that I've ever seen. Whenever this subject comes up, somebody posts that link, but you're the only one I've seen post anything in addition to that.

Of course not; there are any number of liquids that have a far lower freezing temperature than water. You can make water freeze at a lower temperature with a little bit of additive.

--Eric

mklprc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
To be honest, the heat is crazy that comes off of my Macbook Pro! If you're wearing shorts your legs will be burnt in no time with that thing.

Get yourself a copy of SMC Fan Control. Set it to 3000 RPM for default, and max it out for the Higher RPM setting. I have had no heat problems with my MBP or any of my clients' MacBooks since installing that app. It's at version 2.1.2 right now.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes, that is the one and only link to any major problems that I've ever seen. Whenever this subject comes up, somebody posts that link, but you're the only one I've seen post anything in addition to that.
Snap, crackle, pop, and blue-green liquid in the interior. Apple wanted about $1,000 replace the processors and cooling system. For some bizarre reason my predecessor didn't get AppleCare on it. We had to get a Mac Pro replacement.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
As mentioned above, I think Apple is taking the wrong approach.

If components are getting cooler, why not just use the excess heat to power a fan or your battery. It'd sure be better than running the risk of water damage.

So wait, you want to use the heat generated by the components to generate power to drive a fan to cool the components? How are you going to convert heat into electrical energy to power the fan and fit that device into a laptop?

Edit:
Also - i don't think the point here is to safe energy used on cooling, i think the point is to get rid of 1. the fan noise and 2. mechanical components. We'll see how well they manage to do this, but if they do it'll be a step in the right direction. in the end as soon as hdds are replaced with ssds the fans will probably be the only moving electro-mechanical part in the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.