Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
I'm specifically asking for payments which seem confusing to me. My understanding is that person who set-up family plan will be in charge regarding all payments from that point forward, did I understood that correctly? How does that work if another adult in a family wants to buy something with their own credit card?

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I am wondering the same thing I have Apple one and I want to know if the other adults on the family share plan now have access to my credit card in the App Store

cloudphrenia

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2020
Let me know if you guys ever find a way around this. It seems odd that Apple, as progressive as they portray themselves, have restricted family sharing to nuclear families. I don't understand why individual adult members can't buy things for themselves.

Reactions: minik and mainemini

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
H
Let me know if you guys ever find a way around this. It seems odd that Apple, as progressive as they portray themselves, have restricted family sharing to nuclear families. I don't understand why individual adult members can't buy things for themselves.
From what I have understood, whole point of family sharing is nuclear family or should I say parents and kids. That why it works the way it does. The fact that rest of us is “misusing” that feature is another problem entirely.

I’m in family with my brother and we have our own purchases and subscriptions and don’t share them. So it’s possible buy apps individually as long as you are not using Purchase Sharing option. We are sharing Apple One only.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I recently added my sister to the Family Sharing with purchase sharing enabled. Now my card turned to a family card and any transaction (from App Store and iTunes) were out from my pocket. It doesn't make any logical sense for setting as an adult role, kids I can see why.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Only way to do individual purchases with Sharing on is to add money to your Apple ID. Then it will use that first and then go for the shared card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.