Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
As an avid reader, I hope Apple wins this battle. At the core, it's a philosophical argument about what consumer protection means. The DOJ and Cote fixate on the lowest possible prices. Apple's argument is that there needs to be a healthy balance of power between the various players in the industry to protect the market long-term. This may lead to higher prices in the short-term but should protect variety in purchasing options (thus not allowing a single, dominant party to dictate the price points which could potentially rise once the competition has been finished off) and content, and that this serves consumer interests better.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
No, they didn't fixate on this

This is not just my analysis: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/02/17/140217fa_fact_packer?currentPage=all

"In other words, before the feds stepped in, the agency model introduced competition to the market. But the court’s decision reflected a trend in legal thinking among liberals and conservatives alike, going back to the seventies, that looks at antitrust cases from the perspective of consumers, not producers: what matters is lowering prices, even if that goal comes at the expense of competition."

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This is not just my analysis: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/02/17/140217fa_fact_packer?currentPage=all

"In other words, before the feds stepped in, the agency model introduced competition to the market. But the court’s decision reflected a trend in legal thinking among liberals and conservatives alike, going back to the seventies, that looks at antitrust cases from the perspective of consumers, not producers: what matters is lowering prices, even if that goal comes at the expense of competition."

The other part of that paragraph: "Judge Cote’s opinion described Amazon’s business practices in glowing terms, and she argued, “If Apple is suggesting that Amazon was engaging in illegal, monopolistic practices, and that Apple’s combination with the Publisher Defendants to deprive a monopolist of some of its market power is pro-competitive and healthy for our economy, it is wrong.”

When the author can put a quote like that to support that was important is lower prices it is clear that he is just twisting the facts.

The whole quote is:

If Apple is suggesting that Amazon was engaging in illegal, monopolistic practices, and that Apple’s combination with the Publisher Defendants to deprive a monopolist of some of its market power is pro-competitive and healthy for our economy, it is wrong. This trial has not been the occasion to decide whether Amazon’s choice to sell NYT Bestsellers or other New Releases as loss leaders was an unfair trade practice or in any other way a violation of law. If it was, however, the remedy for illegal conduct is a complaint lodged with the proper law enforcement offices or a civil suit or both. Another company’s alleged violation of antitrust laws is not an excuse for engaging in your own violations of law. Nor is suspicion that that may be occurring a defense to the claims litigated at this trial.

Very different meaning

http://dearauthor.wpengine.netdna-c...ads/2013/07/Cote-Decision-on-Price-Fixing.pdf

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Very different meaning

Not really and also not really relevant to my point about the philosophically different points of view on anti-trust law and how it should be applied.

Of course the judge is right in saying that Amazon is not on trial here. And that illegal acts of others are no excuse for illegal acts of oneself.

Apple is contesting it was acting illegally in the first place. And as a supporting argument it is using the fact that its actions resulted in more competition in the industry, not less. So basically saying, how can our behavior be anti-competitive (and thus illegal) if it actually increased competition? The difference between strict application of the letter of the law vs. its intent.

The judge swept that argument away because she has a different point of view of what anti-trust laws should achieve. As did the DOJ that decided to pursue the case, despite it increasing competition. Because let's not forget that the DOJ has discretionary powers in deciding which cases to pursue. It could have easily looked the other way using the argument that while, in its view, technically Apple acted in violation of the law, the outcomes didn't hurt the competitive landscape nor consumer interests.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Not really and also not really relevant to my point about the philosophically different points of view on anti-trust law and how it should be applied.

Of course the judge is right in saying that Amazon is not on trial here. And that illegal acts of others are no excuse for illegal acts of oneself.

Apple is contesting it was acting illegally in the first place. And as a supporting argument it is using the fact that its actions resulted in more competition in the industry, not less. So basically saying, how can our behavior be anti-competitive (and thus illegal) if it actually increased competition? The difference between strict application of the letter of the law vs. its intent.

The judge swept that argument away because she has a different point of view of what anti-trust laws should achieve. As did the DOJ that decided to pursue the case, despite it increasing competition. Because let's not forget that the DOJ has discretionary powers in deciding which cases to pursue. It could have easily looked the other way using the argument that while, in its view, technically Apple acted in violation of the law, the outcomes didn't hurt the competitive landscape nor consumer interests.

Fact is that there were LESS competition, not more.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Fact is that there were LESS competition, not more.

I would be very interested in the data you used to support that statement. Before the contested events, Amazon owned the e-books market, after the events its market share dropped to around 65%. In other words, more parties effectively selling e-books, rather than just one.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I would be very interested in the data you used to support that statement. Before the contested events, Amazon owned the e-books market, after the events its market share dropped to around 65%. In other words, more parties effectively selling e-books, rather than just one.

Before the iPad presentation and after B&B entered the market, Amazon share dropped to less than 80%

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
And afterwards, it dropped even more. So how is that less competition?

When the price is forced to he the same in all the stores there is no competition.

I don't know if you don't know what the case is about or you're just ignoring the facts.

I have posted the ruling, if you want you can read it.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
When the price is forced to he the same in all the stores there is no competition.

Again, agency pricing is not illegal. And price competition among retailers is not the only form of competition.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Before the iPad presentation and after B&B entered the market, Amazon share dropped to less than 80%

It was widely reported that Amazon's market share was around 90% before Apple entered the market. I can't find a single reference to verify your claim. What is your source?

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013

I don't know if you don't know what the case is about or you're just ignoring the facts.

I have posted the ruling, if you want you can read it.

I'll let the fact that you first used a drop in market share as a 'proof' for your claimed 'fact' and now the fixed price, slide.

I don't agree with Cote's (and the DOJ's) interpretation of the law. Their arguments are defensible, if you just go by the letter of the law, rather than its intent (it would be a true affront to tax payers if the case and the ruling weren't). I however, think it is short-sighted and ultimately will hurt consumers' interests through solidifying the position of a de facto monopolist.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
...Source? Everything I've seen points to more competition while the agency pricing agreements were in effect.

You should be able to name one specific example of your assertion--please do so.

Well, Google is your friend, as they say....

But one example would be Books On Boards, which closed down and its founder explained that the switch to Agency Pricing "was organized strictly to benefit the big retail players and “devastated,” independent e-book sellers. He pointed to the lingering impact of the switch to agency pricing in 2010, a switch he said severely impacted indie e-book retailers because it removed Big Six titles—the switch was sudden and included major changes in metadata and delivery that severely affected e-book distributors—from his inventory. Indeed LiVolsi said he lost access to thousands of titles, some for more than a year, because of the Agency Model switch, and in the process he said, “we lost 70% of our customers.”

Apple knew that the switch to agency ricing would increase book prices to consumers, too: DOJ: Steve Jobs E-Mails Show That Apple Engaged In E-Book Price-Fixing

Both the publishers and Apple have denied any collusion, but a newly uncovered e-mail from late Apple co-founder and turtlenecked figurehead Steve Jobs to James Murdoch of News Corp (parent company of HarperCollins, one of the sued publishers and a former employer of yours truly) seems to indicate that its Jobs who came up with the pricing scheme.
“Throw in with Apple and see if we can all make a go of this to create a real mainstream e-books market at $12.99 and $14.99,” wrote Jobs.
Two days later, HarperCollins signed a deal with Apple that made agency pricing its standard model for all e-book sellers.
The DOJ also alleges that when Random House resisted the shift to the agency model, Jobs threatened to block the publisher’s e-book application from being distributed through the Apple app store. After Random House gave in, the Apple exec in charge of its e-books deals wrote to Jobs saying that part of the reason the publisher ultimately agreed was “the fact that I prevented an app from Random House from going live in the app store.”
Another document uncovered by the DOJ shows Random House’s top executive saying his company had been counseled by Apple to withhold e-books from Amazon in order to get the company to accept agency pricing.

Apple is being evil and part of its tactics is to go after Judge Cote personally, which sets a dangerous precedent and should be universally condemned Behind Apple's mutiny against its court-ordered e-books monitor

And if you don't think that agency pricing increased prices, see this: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/1/5368098/apple-hit-with-840-million-damages-claim-in-ebooks-lawsuit

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

But one example would be Books On Boards, which closed down and its founder explained that the switch to Agency Pricing "was organized strictly to benefit the big retail players and “devastated,” independent e-book sellers. He pointed to the lingering impact of the switch to agency pricing in 2010, a switch he said severely impacted indie e-book retailers because it removed Big Six titles—the switch was sudden and included major changes in metadata and delivery that severely affected e-book distributors—from his inventory. Indeed LiVolsi said he lost access to thousands of titles, some for more than a year, because of the Agency Model switch, and in the process he said, “we lost 70% of our customers

:rolleyes: An anecdote is not proof of anything. Some seller went under. Some sellers did better.

Apple knew that the switch to agency ricing would increase book prices to consumers, too: DOJ: Steve Jobs E-Mails Show That Apple Engaged In E-Book Price-Fixing

Yep. (Nice job switching topics there!)

Apple is being evil and part of its tactics is to go after Judge Cote personally, which sets a dangerous precedent and should be universally condemned Behind Apple's mutiny against its court-ordered e-books monitor

Personally? No. They are going after her decisions which they obviously disagree with.

Nobody is arguing that prices didn't increase under agency pricing. Not sure why you keep throwing this into the conversation.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
:rolleyes: An anecdote is not proof of anything. Some seller went under. Some sellers did better.

You asked for an example, I provided one.

But of course you know better than the Books On Board owner.... :rolleyes:

Nobody is arguing that prices didn't increase under agency pricing. Not sure why you keep throwing this into the conversation.

Uhm, 'cause just like most consumers, I am p***ed off that I have to pay sometimes double for ebooks (e.g., Rabbit Run used to be $5.77 at BonB, went up to $12.99 after the Apple+Big Six price fixing, now it's $9.99 at the iBooks store).

Last edited by a moderator:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

But one example would be Books On Boards, which closed down and its founder explained that the switch to Agency Pricing "was organized strictly to benefit the big retail players and “devastated,” independent e-book sellers. He pointed to the lingering impact of the switch to agency pricing in 2010, a switch he said severely impacted indie e-book retailers because it removed Big Six titles—the switch was sudden and included major changes in metadata and delivery that severely affected e-book distributors—from his inventory. Indeed LiVolsi said he lost access to thousands of titles, some for more than a year, because of the Agency Model switch, and in the process he said, “we lost 70% of our customers

As a counter to your one anecdote, here is the list of comments submitted to the DOJ as part of the settlement process with the publishers. Note that 789 out of 868 comments were opposed to the DOJ's proposal. Including the Author's Guild and many smaller booksellers.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/apple/alpha.html

----------

You asked for an example, I provided one.

No, that was someone else. I asked you to provide evidence of your claim.

Uhm, 'cause just like most consumers, I am p***ed off that I have to pay sometimes double for ebooks (e.g., Rabbit Run used to be $5.77 at BonB, went up to $12.99 after the Apple+Big Six price fixing, now it's $9.99 at the iBooks store).

:) Again, anecdotes aren't evidence.

They did a terrible thing and should be punished for it. It's not just the DOJ, it's the EU, Australia, Canada....

Obviously, I disagree with you.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
As a counter to your one anecdote, here is the list of comments submitted to the DOJ as part of the settlement process with the publishers. Note that 789 out of 868 comments were opposed to the DOJ's proposal. Including the Author's Guild and many smaller booksellers.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/apple/alpha.html

----------

No, that was someone else. I asked you to provide evidence of your claim.

:) Again, anecdotes aren't evidence.

Obviously, I disagree with you.

Dude, obviously your "evidence" didn't hold much water in any of the proceedings against Apple's tactics, at least in the EU, Australia, NZ, Canada and the US.

So, since the "evidence" thing didn't go their way, now Apple's new tactic is to go after Bromwich and Judge Cote personally.

Yet, you keep claiming anything you don't like is "anecdotal" (no, it's not, there are a bunch of studies like the Stanford one cited above and you yourself admitted a couple of posts up that ebook prices have gone up since Apple's got its deal with the publishers).

Obviously, you disagree with me. Apparently you also disagree with the relevant authorities in much of the developed world, where Apple had to plead and was forced to change its practices.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Dude, obviously your "evidence" didn't hold much water in any of the proceedings against Apple's tactics, at least in the EU, Australia, NZ, Canada and the US.

Way to shift those goalposts!

Yet, you keep claiming anything you don't like is "anecdotal" (no, it's not, there are a bunch of studies like the Stanford one cited above and you yourself admitted a couple of posts up that ebook prices have gone up since Apple's got its deal with the publishers).

:confused: I didn't call a Stanford study anecdotal. And I never argued that prices didn't go up.

Obviously, you disagree with me. Apparently you also disagree with the relevant authorities in much of the developed world, where Apple had to plead and was forced to change its practices.

Yep. But the only relevant authority to the topic that I was discussing is the ones in the U.S. You'll notice that I haven't commented at all about the rulings outside the U.S.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
...Yep. But the only relevant authority to the topic that I was discussing is the ones in the U.S. You'll notice that I haven't commented at all about the rulings outside the U.S.

Oh, OK, who'd have guessed....:rolleyes:

But the only relevant US authority, The US District Court, disagrees with you too.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013

I personally don't really care much about motivations. They are hard to second guess. One could just as easily argue that all Jobs had in mind was to simplify the business using the iTunes music model: simple, standardised price points. These had to be at a for the publishers interesting price point, otherwise there wouldn't be much benefit to them to convert their catalogue to Apple's format as well.

But like I said, it's not motivations or intentions, it's outcomes that I care about. I think a market with a multitude of e-book sellers that sell books at sustainable prices is in the long-term interests of consumers. Even if that means increased prices in the short-term. If Apple and the publishers happen to realise that situation while acting in a completely self-interested way or while putting the interests of consumers first, I don't really care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.